Baj still in contention for Dbacks spot

southsider2k5

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...28dbnb0328.html

TUCSON - The competition for the final spot in Arizona's bullpen was reduced to four challengers on Monday when right-hander Mike Koplove was among seven players reassigned to minor league camp.

The cuts, which included shortstop prospect Stephen Drew and starting pitcher Dustin Nippert, reduces the roster to 33 and leaves right-handers Greg Aquino, Jeff Bajenaru and Casey Daigle to battle with lefty Randy Choate for essentially the last spot on the team.

The seven-man bullpen presently will be made up of closer Jose Valverde, fellow right-handers Luis Vizcaino, Jason Grimsley, Brandon Lyon and newly acquired Juan Cruz, and veteran left-hander Terry Mulholland.

If Bajenaru makes the D-Backs roster, there will be quite a few guys they could use as trade-bait.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
I would sure hope he is in contention. I mean, he probably would have a spot here.  I couldn't live with myself if I knew the dbacks pen was deepr than ours.  :crying

I think it's safe to say the DBacks pen was deeper than the Sox a hell of a long time ago.

The Sox 1-2-3 punch is better, but depth wise, the Sox are gasping.

Bajenaru didn't make the cut...

Latest News  Mar. 30, 2006 - 2:05 am et

Diamondbacks optioned RHP Jeff Bajenaru to Triple-A Tucson.

Bajenaru's departure means the final spot in the Arizona pen will come down to Greg Aquino and Casey Daigle. It would hardly make sense to put Daigle back on the 40-man roster when Brandon Medders is close to being ready, so Aquino is probably going to be the choice.

Source:  Diamondbacks.mlb.com