Kelvin Sampson to Indiana

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil (Cincy)

Kelvin Sampson?  Is this really the guy do bring Indiana back to the elite?

STEVE LAVIN

Kelvin Sampson has a strong track record as a proven winner at multiple stops in his coaching career. Although I am very surprised that Rick Greenspan chose Kelvin Sampson as the Hoosiers next head coach. I've felt all along that Steve Alford was the most natural fit for the Hoosiers. Similar to other alums who returned to their alma mater as head coaches ... i.e. Mark Gottfried (Alabama), Gary Williams (Maryland), Eddie Sutton (Oklahoma), Lorenzo Romar (Washington), etc. Although Alford has struggled at times in his career at Iowa, I believed he had the opportunity to maximize his ability as a coach at Indiana more than any other university in the country. With that said, Kelvin Sampson has the necessary coaching skills and abilities to adapt and adjust to the Big Ten and Indiana University.

(ESPN.com chat)

My biggest question is can he recruit as well with higher admissions standards? He could get absolutely anyone in at OU, regardless of grades. I know he's a good guy, and has a very solid record, and recruiting at IU is "just a bit" easier than OU. But we will see how its goes. I have a feeling IU will start recruiting with the elite again in a couple of years.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
My biggest question is can he recruit as well with higher admissions standards? He could get absolutely anyone in at OU, regardless of grades. I know he's a good guy, and has a very solid record, and recruiting at IU is "just a bit" easier than OU. But we will see how its goes. I have a feeling IU will start recruiting with the elite again in a couple of years.

Have you ever seen the student population here at IU? Any drooling imbecile is accepted here, and athletes basically have all of their work done for them.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Have you ever seen the student population here at IU? Any drooling imbecile is accepted here, and athletes basically have all of their work done for them.

There are plenty of mentally challenged people down at Illinois too (although they can typically control the drooling :P ), that doesn't mean they didn't somehow get decent grades in high school.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I can't believe Indiana hired another black coach, I think a big part of why Davis would have never been accepted was race. I know the Indiana fans here are good fans and to you guys it has nothing to do with it, but Indiana has a noticeable base of dopey fans and remember that the KKK started right down the street.

Overall, this isn't a bad hire nearly like Alford would be, but I question how big of an improvement Sampson is over Davis, and I thougt Indana would be hiring a much bigger name than this. Sampson WILL recruit better, and since it's Indiana he probably would get caught like the sanctions you will see at Oklahoma within a few years because of what he was doing. But his slow down style and again, his race, will make him a hard sell for the majority of fans....especially considering the names that have been thrown around.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

VERY SHOCKED. There were a bajillion names mentioned for this job, and his was never one to be brought up. He's not a great hire, but he's a good hire IMO. I know he puts a great emphasis on rebounding and defense, and that'll be well-suited for Big Ten basketball.

I'll probably chime in more later, but I'm in classes from 9-4 on Tuesdays, so I only heard about it through hearsay. I want to read on this, etc. before I form a full opinion.