Nikki Sudden passed away.

Kid Gleason

Nikki was damn near a God to many people such as myself. His influences in music go way deeper than any success he ever achieved. The amount of respect he had from fellow musicians and from his peers was ridiculous. The passing of Nikki is devastating to many of us, as it's one more light in the world of true Rock n Roll that has been extinquished long before his time. But he lived the life, and his body probably had just had enough. The man toured all the time, and played live all the time.

Recently he made a very rare trip to the US, and it was made even more rare by it being backed by a full band and doing it electric. I was hit by a 102 degree fever, so I had to miss it. One of the few times in my life I am beaten with regret.

From Billboard.com

Swell Maps' Nikki Sudden Dies

March 27, 2006, 9:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Swell Maps frontman Nikki Sudden died Saturday after a show at New York's Knitting Factory, Billboard.com has learned. He was 49. No cause of death has been made public yet, according to Secretly Canadian label head Chris Swanson, whose company reissued 10 of Sudden's albums in recent years.

Always a prolific artist, Sudden has just completed a new solo album, "The Truth Doesn't Matter," and has a gig booked in London on Wednesday (March 29) with his band the Jacobites. According to a post from longtime group member Dave Kusworth on Sudden's MySpace.com page, the show will go off as planned in memoriam to Sudden.

"Nikki Sudden believed in rock'n'roll -- and how hard was that in this cold new millennium?," Kusworth wrote.

Sudden rose to fame with his brother Epic Soundtracks in Swell Maps, a late 1970s rock combo that has remained influential despite its brief lifespan. Soundtracks died of unknown causes in 1997.

According to Secretly Canadian, Sudden was nearing completion on his autobiography, "The Last Bandit.

www.nikkisudden.com for any more info, if you have a desire to learn a bit about a truely original guy, and somebody who followed his heart and stayed true to his heart for his entire 49 years on this planet.

To paraphrase Ian Hunter:

Nikki is an aquired taste, but if you have taste, you'll aquire his stuff.