Will Pods be ready for opener?

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Will Pods be ready for opener?

Left fielder still hobbled; Hermanson growing frustrated

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- If Scott Podsednik doesn't play in any of the remaining four Spring Training contests, including two this weekend in Atlanta, will the fleet-footed leadoff man be ready to start the 2006 season Sunday night in Chicago?

It's an inquiry that gave pause for thought to Podsednik, currently battling a slightly strained left groin muscle, suffered in the top of the third inning during Monday's game against the Cubs at HoHoKam Park.

"That's a tough question," said Podsednik, who has a mere 22 at-bats over seven games played this spring. "I think what's going to be important is mentally trying to visualize where I've been the past few days and somewhat trying to stay as sharp as I can.

"I can't get out there and perform physically, but I can kind of go over at-bats and pitches in my mind. I mean, it's better than nothing."

Hitting the ball mentally has been the frustrating resignation for Podsednik during most of the month of March. Podsednik missed 2 1/2 weeks due to a sore left shoulder, but had been hitting the ball with authority since returning to the lineup last Thursday in Surprise.

Podsednik had two hits in his first two at-bats Monday, but slightly aggravated the same left groin area, where he had offseason hernia surgery, while running to first on a third-inning double. There's a possibility that the injury could be related to the surgery, with scar tissue tearing away, as an MRI exam on Monday showed no further damage aside from the strain.

But Podsednik's first instinct when feeling the pain was not to think about the connection to the offseason procedure.

"I probably can't tell you what went through my mind," said Podsednik with a frustrated smile. "It's very frustrating because of all the work that I've been putting in trying to prevent it, and then you go out and it happens.

"It's a little lower down in more of the muscle belly, which is better. You feel kind of helpless. But it's just one of those things. Some things are going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it."

Manager Ozzie Guillen already has spoken of a plan being in place to temporarily replace Podsednik. Pablo Ozuna would get the call in left field on Opening Night against Cleveland, with left-hander C.C. Sabathia starting. Left-handed hitting Rob Mackowiak would replace Podsednik, if needed, against right-handed pitchers.

But Podsednik's current setback does not seem as troublesome as the problem that landed him on the disabled for much of August in 2005. He simply needs to build up his at-bats and to block out any doubts caused by the injury rising up again.

"These guys are doing all they can to try to keep those thoughts from creeping into my mind," Podsednik said. "Obviously, as a player, you put yourself through all the workouts and stretching to try to prevent this stuff.

"And then when it happens you're like, 'What else can I do?' But like [athletic trainer] Herm [schneider] said, you can't get into game-speed action during practice. It's tough to emulate. With the workouts, we're going to try to focus on getting as functional as we possibly can.

"If I'm anywhere close to 90, 95, 85 percent, I'm going to try to get out there," added Podsednik of his possible start in the opener against Cleveland.

Back to the beginning: Dustin Hermanson has accepted what has happened to him this spring, with the severe pain in his back returning and basically costing him the first two or three months of the 2006 season. But acceptance doesn't mean there isn't quite a bit of frustration stirring within the right-hander, especially after the extensive rehab program Hermanson went through during the offseason to prepare for the upcoming campaign.

"Oh, yeah. Just the last couple of days, I've kind of let myself go a little bit," Hermanson said. "I've been looking in the mirror and getting mad every time.

"The thing about it is that the last couple of days, I realized I pretty much did everything I could and I can't be mad at myself. I'm frustrated but mad at myself no more."

Hermanson said Tuesday that the pain level has dropped over the past couple of days, but this particular decline is associated with the two epidurals he's already received and the fact that he hasn't pitched since last Friday. A third epidural scheduled for Tuesday was not administered, with the first two ultimately not having their desired effect, and Hermanson not wanting to do any more damage to good tissue in his back.

Extended Spring Training is next on the docket for Hermanson, as well as continued extensive rehabilitation. Hermanson will not even entertain retirement questions until after this season, the final year of a two-year deal in which he is earning $3 million. He also doesn't seem inclined to choose back surgery for what has been diagnosed as instability in his lower vertebrae, where the vertebrae would be fused or nerves would be singed.

Instead, Hermanson will continue to work hard on managing the pain, with a desire to help the White Sox in their repeat effort.

"At least if something happens where I can't come back later, I can look at myself in the mirror and say I did everything I possibly could," said Hermanson, who will be in Chicago for the World Series ring presentation next Tuesday. "I'm not giving up hope."

Friendly rivalry: The usual clubhouse chatter coming from A.J. Pierzynski has increased over the past few days, since the men's basketball team from Florida reached the NCAA Tournament's Final Four. Pierzynski, an Orlando native, is a huge fan of all sports related to the Gators. But in this instance, Pierzynski's comments are being contested by reserve catcher Chris Widger.

Widger played baseball for three years at George Mason University, the improbable entry into the Final Four, and Florida's opponent Saturday. The two will be on ESPN's 'Cold Pizza' on Wednesday morning to debate the college hoops issue, with Widger doing countless radio and television interviews Tuesday concerning his alma mater.

With wins over Michigan St., North Carolina, Wichita St. and UConn, the Patriots certainly have proven to be anything but a fluke, according to Widger. Even with this great accomplishment behind them, Widger wants at least one more victory from his school for peace of mind this season.

"I can't go through a whole season listening to A.J. tell me how they beat George Mason -- his team," Widger said. "He does call [Florida] his team. You're from Orlando, they're in Gainesville. You didn't even get recruited there, but you're wearing the football helmet around here."

Pierzynski and Widger plan to attend Monday night's title game in Indianapolis if their respective team emerges victoriously. Pierzynski tried to get permission from Guillen to take in Saturday's Final Four contest, but the White Sox manager rejected his attempt.

"He said if it was a boxing match, he would let me go because he likes boxing," Pierzynski said. "If anyone knows of a boxing match in the Indianapolis or Chicago area, let me know."

Third to first: Guillen said the projected temperature of 40 degrees for Sunday night's opener will not influence his decision on whether to start Podsednik. "If he's ready to play, he's ready to play," Guillen said. "The weather shouldn't matter." ... Bobby Jenks and Boone Logan threw one scoreless inning apiece in relief Tuesday against Arizona. Logan will work again Wednesday, while Jenks works back-to-back games Thursday in Tucson and Friday in Atlanta.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:headshake  :headshake

While I would really like to see Pods back by April 2nd, the last thing I want them to do is rush him back.

I guess its better to be safe than sorry, but I just dont want him in and out of the lineup all season.......

I'm starting to think that the acquisition of Mackowiak was to serve as insurance for Podsednik even moreso than Anderson. Podsednik seems pretty injury-prone.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
:headshake  :headshake

While I would really like to see Pods back by April 2nd, the last thing I want them to do is rush him back.

I guess its better to be safe than sorry, but I just dont want him in and out of the lineup all season.......

Yah. Might as well let Ozuna face the lefties. .306 against them last year so it's not like there would be a dropoff.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
So...  it was only 98 AB's.  Ozuna may not perform like that against lefties again this season.

LOL. Let's just predict he'll hit .200 against the lefties. Nothing statistically to back it up, but it MAY happen.

How much sense does that make. Why wouldn't you use the info that you have. If it's the middle of the season and I say let Pablo hit against the lefties when he is hitting .200 against the lefties that is one thing. As of now he hits well against lefties and there is nothing to dispell that.

Yah. Might as well let Ozuna face the lefties. .306 against them last year so it's not like there would be a dropoff.

LOL. Let's just predict he'll hit .200 against the lefties. Nothing statistically to back it up, but it MAY happen.

How much sense does that make. Why wouldn't you use the info that you have. If it's the middle of the season and I say let Pablo hit against the lefties when he is hitting .200 against the lefties that is one thing. As of now he hits well against lefties and there is nothing to dispell that.

Okay, here are some stats for you then...

Podsednik (career stats vs. lefties): .267 AVG / .336 OBP / .378 SLG / .713 OPS

Ozuna (career stats vs. lefties): .278 AVG / .311 OBP / .317 SLG / .628 OPS

Podsednik (2005 stats vs. lefties): .330 AVG / .404 OBP / .350 SLG / .754 OPS

Ozuna (2005 stats vs. lefties): .306 AVG / .340 OBP / .357 SLG / .697 OPS

So Ozuna WILL be a downgrade from Podsednik against a lefty starter on opening day, unlike what you said. Is that enough proof for you?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
Okay, here are some stats for you then...

Podsednik (career stats vs. lefties):  .267 AVG  /  .336 OBP  /  .378 SLG  /  .713 OPS

Ozuna (career stats vs. lefties):  .278 AVG  /  .311 OBP  /  .317 SLG  /  .628 OPS

Podsednik (2005 stats vs. lefties):  .330 AVG  /  .404 OBP  /  .350 SLG  /  .754 OPS

Ozuna (2005 stats vs. lefties):  .306 AVG  /  .340 OBP  /  .357 SLG  /  .697 OPS

So Ozuna WILL be a downgrade from Podsednik against a lefty starter on opening day, unlike what you said.  Is that enough proof for you?

It won't be much of a downgrade for those two games. Both players were good against lefties last year and 24 points isn't that big of a different in two games. They would both go approx. 2-6/3-9 with a walk. If it were for a whole season then the dropoff might be apparent, but it's not. It would be for a game or two.

Secondly, that's not even the part I was arguing. You said 98 ABs is too small to tell what he might do against lefties when it's obivous that he hit well against them with decent PT and his role with the Sox. There is no reason to think he might not do it again.

Edited by jphat007

It won't be much of a downgrade for those two games. Both players were good against lefties last year and 24 points isn't that big of a different in two games. They would both go approx. 2-6 with a walk or two. If it were for a whole season then the dropoff might be apparent, but it's not. It would be for a game or two.

Secondly, that's not even the part I was arguing. You said 98 ABs is too small to tell what he might do against lefties when it's obivous that he hit well against them with decent PT and his role with the Sox. There is no reason to think he might not do it again.

Why are you looking at their AVG's and not their OBP's?

It will be a downgrade. Ozuna is a bench player for a reason.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Why are you looking at their AVG's and not their OBP's?

It will be a downgrade.  Ozuna is a bench player for a reason.

No, it wouldn't. Not for two games. But then again, you think Ozuna isn't going to hit lefties beacuse of his struggles in 14 and 8 ABs in 02 and 03.

:lolhitting

If it were for a whole season then the dropoff might be apparent, but it's not. It would be for a game or two.

By the way, how exactly do you know when Podsednik will be back? Yesterday, you thought that he was going to play in today's game and you were sure he would be fine to start on opening day. What gives?

No, it wouldn't. Not for two games. But then again, you think Ozuna isn't going to hit lefties beacuse of his struggles in 14 and 8 ABs in 02 and 03.

:lolhitting

Yep, and that's why I posted both Ozuna's career stats against lefties and his 2005 stats against lefties. Good call. :rolly

Ozuna is a downgrade from Podsednik for any amount of time. He's a freaking bench player. To quote qwerty, "Cheesus lice."

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
By the way, how exactly do you know when Podsednik will be back?  Yesterday, you thought that he was going to play in today's game and you were sure he would be fine to start on opening day.  What gives?

Yep, and that's why I posted both Ozuna's career stats against lefties and his 2005 stats against lefties.  Good call.  :rolly

Ozuna is a downgrade from Podsednik for any amount of time.  He's a freaking bench player.  To quote qwerty, "Cheesus lice."

Yah. Might as well change the subject. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him play opening night. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get ABs in Atlanta.

I mean seriously. How many times are you going to change the argument in a single thread? You said 98 ABs is too small a sample size to know how he will hit against lefties. That's teh best indicator we have of how he will hit this year against lefties. Let's just ignore it though!

Seriously. No need for this to even continue.

Yah. Might as well change the subject. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him play opening night. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get ABs in Atlanta.

I mean seriously. How many times are you going to change the argument in a single thread? You said 98 ABs is too small a sample size to know how he will hit against lefties. That's teh best indicator we have of how he will hit this year against lefties. Let's just ignore it though!

Seriously. No need for this to even continue.

98 AB's is a bit of a small sample size, IMO. But I'm not ignoring anything. Podsednik has outperformed Ozuna against lefties over his career and also last season. That means that Ozuna will be a downgrade from Podsednik, for any amount of time. I actually used stats to back up my point so I don't see why you are arguing with me. If Ozuna is just as good as Podsednik, why don't we trade Pods and start Ozuna in LF?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
98 AB's is a bit of a small sample size, IMO.  But I'm not ignoring anything.  Podsednik has outperformed Ozuna against lefties over his career and also last season.  That means that Ozuna will be a downgrade from Podsednik, for any amount of time.  I actually used stats to back up my point so I don't see why you are arguing with me.  If Ozuna is just as good as Podsednik, why don't we trade Pods and start Ozuna in LF?

LOL. Where the hell did I say that? You just love to put words in people's mouths. I said he wouldn't be a big downgrade, or really one at all, for the first two games against tough lefties, who Ozuna faired well against last year. The stats show they are both good against lefties, and Pods might get on base at most one time more in those two games. I'm one of the biggest Pods defenders on this board. I mean seriously man, where do you get this stuff from.

Will you two guys stop it please. :)

You guys are both excellent posters and this topic is really not worth going back and forth over.

Edited by JimH

LOL. Where the hell did I say that? You just love to put words in people's mouths. I said he wouldn't be a big downgrade, or really one at all, for the first two games against tough lefties, who Ozuna faired well against last year. The stats show they are both good against lefties, and Pods might get on base at most one time more in those two games. I'm one of the biggest Pods defenders on this board. I mean seriously man, where do you get this stuff from.

You said that that there wouldn't be a dropoff from Podsednik to Ozuna. I disagreed. That's about all that happened. And I don't know why you keep saying that Podsednik might only miss two games. How do you know?

Hey, Brian Anderson hit .176 in 34 AB last year.  There's no reason to believe he'll ever hit higher than that.

Yep, small sample size. ;)

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
You said that that there wouldn't be a dropoff from Podsednik to Ozuna.  I disagreed.  That's about all that happened.  And I don't know why you keep saying that Podsednik might only miss two games.  How do you know?

Yep, small sample size.  ;)

And how do you know he'll miss any at all? I was only talking about those two games anyway because they would be the ones Ozuna would start. What does that have to do wtih anything?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Those are two totally different situations.

No, its not. Its a small sample size, meaning absolutely nothing in the long run. The player could have just been on a hot streak for the small amount of at-bats, or a cold streak, or coming back from injury, or adjusting to major league pitching. If you want to think a sample of 98 AB's is enough, fine, but you're wrong.

And how do you know he'll miss any at all? I was only talking about those two games anyway because they would be the ones Ozuna would start. What does that have to do wtih anything?

I don't know if he will -- only Podsednik, Herm Schneider, and the Sox do. But we are talking about Ozuna replacing Podsednik in the lineup afterall. If Podsednik's groin continues to nag him (which apparently it is) he could miss even more time over the course of the season, increasing Ozuna's playing time and therefore decreasing our overall production in LF.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
No, its not.  Its a small sample size, meaning absolutely nothing in the long run.  The player could have just been on a hot streak for the small amount of at-bats, or a cold streak, or coming back from injury, or adjusting to major league pitching.  If you want to think a sample of 98 AB's is enough, fine, but you're wrong.

It's different, because Anderson, like Ozuna, has hit at almost every level he has been at during his career. Ozuna has always shown the ability to hit well against lefties, and in his longest and largest stint in the majors, Ozuna hit the ball well against lefties. What indication is there that he would backtrack. Was he hot for the entire year? Sure there is NO question that he could come out and hit .260 against lefties, but there is nothing to back up that assumption.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
No, its not.  Its a small sample size, meaning absolutely nothing in the long run.  The player could have just been on a hot streak for the small amount of at-bats, or a cold streak, or coming back from injury, or adjusting to major league pitching.  If you want to think a sample of 98 AB's is enough, fine, but you're wrong.

Or he's a rookie :huh

A rookie Ozuna is not, which means they are two totally different situations.