Will Pods be ready for opener?

SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't know if he will -- only Podsednik, Herm Schneider, and the Sox do.  But we are talking about Ozuna replacing Podsednik in the lineup afterall.  If Podsednik's groin continues to nag him (which apparently it is) he could miss even more time over the course of the season, increasing Ozuna's playing time and therefore decreasing our overall production in LF.

We are talking about Ozuna replacing him for TWO games. That was all my point was about. Of course you try to turn it into something that I didn't say, as usual.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't know if he will -- only Podsednik, Herm Schneider, and the Sox do.  But we are talking about Ozuna replacing Podsednik in the lineup afterall.  If Podsednik's groin continues to nag him (which apparently it is) he could miss even more time over the course of the season, increasing Ozuna's playing time and therefore decreasing our overall production in LF.

Isn't jphat's point that Ozuna, for the 'short term', wouldn't be much of a drop-off from Pods? Obviously Ozuna is no kind of replacement over a long stretch.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
Isn't jphat's point that Ozuna,  for the 'short term',  wouldn't be much of a drop-off from Pods?  Obviously Ozuna is no kind of replacement over a long stretch.

It seemed like a pretty simple concept to me. I mean, I thought I wrote it easy enough to understand.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
It's different, because Anderson, like Ozuna, has hit at almost every level he has been at during his career. Ozuna has always shown the ability to hit well against lefties, and in his longest and largest stint in the majors, Ozuna hit the ball well against lefties. What indication is there that he would backtrack. Was he hot for the entire year? Sure there is NO question that he could come out and hit .260 against lefties, but there is nothing to back up that assumption.

Almost every level isn't the major league. There is a huge difference because the major league and the minors.

And what makes you think Ozuna has hit lefties well throughout his career? According to Yahoo, his career splits against lefties is .278/.311/.317, which is far from hitting well. So considering that he hit .306/.340/.357 (still not that great in terms of overall production, but whatever), which is much higher than his career average, he is more likely to fall back to where he has hit them throughout his career.

QUOTE(Aderal @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
Or he's a rookie :huh

A rookie Ozuna is not, which means they are two totally different situations.

Another fine point. Plus Ozuna obviously found something that has helped his production tremendously at AAA in 04 and in the majors in 05. Just like BA likely will to allow him to hit better than .154.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Almost every level isn't the major league.  There is a huge difference because the major league and the minors.

And what makes you think Ozuna has hit lefties well throughout his career?  According to Yahoo, his career splits against lefties is .278/.311/.317, which is far from hitting well.  So considering that he hit .306/.340/.357 (still not that great in terms of overall production, but whatever), which is much higher than his career average, he is more likely to fall back to where he has hit them throughout his career.

Beacuse 1-14 and 1-8 stints in teh Majors THREE YEARS AGO drop those splits. Obviously Ozuna is a much different player as evidenced from the past two seasons.

It's different, because Anderson, like Ozuna, has hit at almost every level he has been at during his career. Ozuna has always shown the ability to hit well against lefties, and in his longest and largest stint in the majors, Ozuna hit the ball well against lefties. What indication is there that he would backtrack. Was he hot for the entire year? Sure there is NO question that he could come out and hit .260 against lefties, but there is nothing to back up that assumption.

When Ozuna was still a prospect, he had lied about his age. He turned out to be 4 years older than he said he was. That means that Ozuna was 4 years too advanced for every level he played at in the minors.

Also, do you have minor league splits to prove that he has always hit well against lefties? Just curious.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
When Ozuna was still a prospect, he had lied about his age.  He turned out to be 4 years older than he said he was.  That means that Ozuna was 4 years too advanced for every level he played at in the minors.

Also, do you have minor league splits to prove that he has always hit well against lefties?  Just curious.

There are no splits, but he hit well against them last year, stories about him in ST last year said he pounded lefties in Scranton when he put up .307 .344 .415. Those are the only two documented accounts and they are the most recent. Makes an awful lot of sense to me.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Why are you looking at their AVG's and not their OBP's?

It will be a downgrade.  Ozuna is a bench player for a reason.

Heard the same argument about Rowand.. and he's gone.... lets just get ready for the opener , ozzie will decide whats best for the team.

There are no splits, but he hit well against them last year, stories about him in ST last year said he pounded lefties in Scranton when he put up .307 .344 .415. Those are the only two documented accounts and they are the most recent. Makes an awful lot of sense to me.

That was Ozuna's overall line with Scranton (Phillies' AAA team) in 2004. That's not really proof that he "pounded lefties." For all we know, he was killing righties instead of lefties. Regardless, he was a 30 year old playing at AAA. Afterall, Greg Norton looked pretty studly with the Charlotte Knights last year. Doesn't mean much though.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
That was Ozuna's overall line with Scranton (Phillies' AAA team) in 2004.  That's not really proof that he "pounded lefties."  For all we know, he was killing righties instead of lefties.  Regardless, he was a 30 year old playing at AAA.  Afterall, Greg Norton looked pretty studly with the Charlotte Knights last year.  Doesn't mean much though.

LOL. I said that there were several stories in ST last year that said he pounded lefties in Scranton. I wish there was a reading comprehension smiley. Who cares what his age is. What does that have to do with anything? Turning 31-32 or whatever it might be isn't going to affect how he hits lefties this year. THis thread is done with.

LOL. I said that there were several stories in ST last year that said he pounded lefties in Scranton. I wish there was a reading comprehension smiley. Who cares what his age is. What does that have to do with anything? Turning 31-32 or whatever it might be isn't going to affect how he hits lefties this year. THis thread is done with.

Where are these stories about Ozuna killing lefties with Scranton? I don't remember them. Link?

Regardless, I hope Ozuna can get the job done if Podsednik misses any time. I guess we can agree on that.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Where are these stories about Ozuna killing lefties with Scranton?  I don't remember them.  Link?

Regardless, I hope Ozuna can get the job done if Podsednik misses any time.  I guess we can agree on that.

Newspapers don't have online archives readily available. Maybe it's on google's cache or some archive site, but I sure as hell don't care enough to go look. You can just not believe me for that matter.

Here's the thing with Ozuna...he could have just as easily hit .100 vs lhp instead of .300 vs lhp last season. He had to lead the world in fewest feet per hit. However, he does a lot of little things right on the field, and there really isn't a significant drop-off between Pods and Ozuna.

What concerns me is that there was enough inflammation to show up on the MRI. That is not a minor strain. even if he can play through it, this will be a problem for awhile.

Podsednik seems to be a bit injury-prone to me. Herm Schneider's quote about him basically said the same, but in nicer words. I'm sure Podsednik's health this season will have a big impact on how long he is with the Sox in the future. If Pods misses a lot of games this season and Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney rake at AAA, we could have a new starting LF'er come 2007 opening day.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
Here's the thing with Ozuna...he could have just as easily hit .100 vs lhp instead of .300 vs lhp last season.  He had to lead the world in fewest feet per hit.  However, he does a lot of little things right on the field, and there really isn't a significant drop-off between Pods and Ozuna.

Over a long-stretch there is.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
My concern with Podsednik is that he hasn't shown the ability to steal bases since his injury last season nor so far this spring after his off-season surgery.

I hope he hasn't lost a step permanently.

agreed. And it may not be all physical. Frequently, injured players become tentative and that can kill a base stealer. If the constant problems are in the back of his mind he becomes an ineffective on the basepaths.

Ozuna has speed, which gives Ozzie an option at the top of the order that he likes. Pods is a distruptor, and that is something that Ozzie wants at the top of the order. Steal bases, move up on an infield hit. Get on for Thome and Konerko and Dye. However when Pods went down last year, Ozzie used Timo a lot in his place. Ozuna platooned a bit, but Timo got a lot of ABs. I would think that with Mack being moved to the 4th OF role, he will platoon with Ozuna. Ozuna getting some tough lefty assignments, while Mack getting a good amount of ABs. Mack has done a lot of leading off this ST. Either way, both of them change the look of the team significantly from Pods. We need a healthy Pods to make our offense start. I think Scott has a trickle down affect for our offense. When he gets on, it makes Gooch focus more on getting deeper in the count, so Pods can move. Gooch also focuses on contact more and shortens his swing. When Pods is on, Thome, Konerko and Dye will see better pitches to hit. Pitchers shorten their strides a bit, leave pitches up, throw more fastballs. These are things that SABR people state time and time again as fiction, however I see how pitchers react when he is on base. I see the pitch selection, and the zone that our hitters get when he is on and is running free. It is imperitive that Pods is at the top of our O. Ozuna can fill in for a game or so, Mack can fill in here and there, but our offense changes dramatically when he is out of the lineup. I just hope his twinge is just a natural part of the aches and pains of ST. He hasnt pressed too much this spring and hopefully its just part of working his body into shape.

agreed. And it may not be all physical. Frequently, injured players become tentative and that can kill a base stealer. If the constant problems are in the back of his mind he becomes an ineffective on the basepaths.

If Podsednik's groin bothers him this season, he should not even try to steal bases. We already saw it last season. He can still get on base but he's an easy caught stealing with a nagging groin.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
If Podsednik's groin bothers him this season, he should not even try to steal bases.  We already saw it last season.  He can still get on base but he's an easy caught stealing with a nagging groin.

Agreed.

That sure takes the spark out of our offense, however.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Agreed.

That sure takes the spark out of our offense, however.

Yep, it does. But I'd rather have a guy on first base than a guy getting thrown out trying to steal second base. Afterall, Podsednik will still have some boppers in Iguchi, Thome, and Konerko to drive him in from first base anyways.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Yep, it does.  But I'd rather have a guy on first base than a guy getting thrown out trying to steal second base.  Afterall, Podsednik will still have some boppers in Iguchi, Thome, and Konerko to drive him in from first base anyways.

Yes. The time it will bother him the most is the quick step from a stand still like in base stealing. He'll still have the scoring from first on a double capability.