Will Pods be ready for opener?

SSH2005

They have to get him as healthy as possible, and once he is, ask him to do what's best for the team. Get on base, then disrupt. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. There's not much anyone can do about it.

It's why they wanted depth and his iffy health is a big reason why some people think add'l speed on the bench is more important than a Ross Gload. No knock on Gload, he has had a fantastic spring but another speedy OF guy who can play multiple positions and be a pesky hitter would look really good. But I guess that's Jerry Owens' role, to provide depth in case of a Pods injury.

For a manager like Guillen who thrives on the running game, they're short on guys who can steal 15+. If Iguchi hits #2 as expected he won't be stealing much.

Personally I would love to have a guy like this Cubs 25th guy, that Pagan guy. He can run and play multiple positions. Again, no knock on Gload, just a personal preference. Speed really disrupts, the more the better.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope people aren't fooling themselves in thinking will be alright without Pods for any long-stretch, or with him at less than 100%. Could we get by without him for a little while? I think so. But he's easily the most irreplaceable of all our position players. What happened last year after he was put on the dl was no fluke.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:29 AM)
I hope people aren't fooling themselves in thinking will be alright without Pods for any long-stretch,  or with him at less than 100%.  Could we get by without him for a little while?  I think so.  But he's easily the most irreplaceable of all our position players.  What happened last year when he was put on the dl was no fluke.

Didn't all of our pitchers hit the wall over that same span? I actually think Pods is one of our most replaceable players, especially if he's not 100 percent. Also, JimH, don't you think Ozuna fits that speed category? He's the fastest player on our team.

Didn't all of our pitchers hit the wall over that same span?  I actually think Pods is one of our most replaceable players, especially if he's not 100 percent.  Also, JimH, don't you think Ozuna fits that speed category?  He's the fastest player on our team.

Pods is the straw that stirs the offensive drink. He is extremely important to the offense.

Ozuna can fill in but it weakens the bench. IMO they need another speed guy, given Guillen's preference to have a running team. If Terry Francona were managing the team I'd feel differently. But I have a bias toward having as much speed as possible, and using it.

Personally I would love to have a guy like this Cubs 25th guy, that Pagan guy.  He can run and play multiple positions.  Again, no knock on Gload, just a personal preference.  Speed really disrupts, the more the better.

Pagan definately looks like a decent fourth or fifth outfielder. He can play CF and has good speed which makes him valuable. He's damn sure better than Marquis Grissom at this point. :P But the Sox seem to only want Thome DH'ing. They don't want him playing first base this season. They realize that his bat is absolutely HUGE in our lineup and don't want to risk him to an onfield injury. That's why we need Gload.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
Didn't all of our pitchers hit the wall over that same span?  I actually think Pods is one of our most replaceable players, especially if he's not 100 percent.  Also, JimH, don't you think Ozuna fits that speed category?  He's the fastest player on our team.

Buehrle, Garcia and Garland all struggled a bit. But it wasn't hard to see the difference between a White Sox team with a 100% healthy Pods compared to a not 100% healthy Pods. We just don't have anybody that can do what he does. Hell, even if Konerko got hurt, we'd have a lot more options to play with than if Pods is out for any real length of time.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:35 AM)
Pods is the straw that stirs the offensive drink.  He is extremely important to the offense. 

Ozuna can fill in but it weakens the bench.  IMO they need another speed guy, given Guillen's preference to have a running team.  If Terry Francona were managing the team I'd feel differently.  But I have a bias toward having as much speed as possible, and using it.

I know that Pods is important, and that when he's getting on early and often, it makes the offense very potent (at scoring one run in an inning). With a guy like Thome batting 3rd, I'm more concerned about saving outs than I am playing smallball. However, I might as well save my breath, and I'm sure we'll play Ozzieball (and Ozzie deserves to keep playing this style).

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:37 AM)
Buehrle,  Garcia and Garland all struggled a bit.  But it wasn't hard to see the difference between a White Sox team with a 100% healthy Pods compared to a not 100% healthy Pods.  We just don't have anybody that can do what he does.  Hell,  even if Konerko got hurt,  we'd have a lot more options to play with than if Pods is out for any real length of time.

Konerko's contributions are far more valuable than Podsednik's are. If we lose PK's bat, any replacement would be a significant downgrade. I'm confident enough in Ozuna and Mackowiak that they can do what they have to in order to help the offense.

I know that Pods is important, and that when he's getting on early and often, it makes the offense very potent (at scoring one run in an inning).  With a guy like Thome batting 3rd, I'm more concerned about saving outs than I am playing smallball.  However, I might as well save my breath, and I'm sure we'll play Ozzieball (and Ozzie deserves to keep playing this style).

I feel the same way. If Podsednik's groin is hampering his SB ability, I'd rather see him planted on first base with Thome coming up than see him get caught stealing and have Thome up with no one on base.

But the Sox seem to only want Thome DH'ing.  They don't want him playing first base this season.  They realize that his bat is absolutely HUGE in our lineup and don't want to risk him to an onfield injury.  That's why we need Gload.

Very true.

Gload deserves to be on the team, no doubt, and I like his defense at 1B.

I just have a bias for lots of team speed.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:42 AM)
Very true.

Thankfully, Gload has pretty good speed. I couldn't agree with you more in regards to wanting more speed on the bench. I've always wanted a righty power hitter on the bench (someone like Jason Dubois), but I think KW has done a very good job with our bench.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Konerko's contributions are far more valuable than Podsednik's are.  If we lose PK's bat, any replacement would be a significant downgrade.  I'm confident enough in Ozuna and Mackowiak that they can do what they have to in order to help the offense.

Well, they both have very different roles. I wasn't implying that we would be alright without Konerko--just that we would have more options. Ozuna/Mack do not equal what a healthy Pods can do for us. Not even close.

Very true.

That's what Ozuna is for! ;) Mackowiak even has some decent speed and is a pretty good base stealer. Cintron may have decent speed (not really sure) but he's definately not a base stealer. Our bench kicks ass and it's the best one I can remember in a long time.

Edited by SSH2005

Thankfully, Gload has pretty good speed.  I couldn't agree with you more in regards to wanting more speed on the bench.  I've always wanted a righty power hitter on the bench (someone like Jason Dubois), but I think KW has done a very good job with our bench.

Yes, he has done a fine job with the bench but when I mention team speed I should have amplified ... stolen base proficiency speed. Gload isn't slow but he's not a guy you look to for stolen bases.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:46 AM)
Well,  they both have very different roles.  I wasn't implying that we would be alright without Konerko--just that we would have more options.  Ozuna/Mack do not equal what a healthy Pods can do for us.  Not even close.

Are we talking about Podsednik, or Rickey Henderson? :P

Podsednik doesn't score a lot of runs for a leadoff hitter, and he doesn't drive in a lot of runs. He can be a good table-setter, but someone like Mackowiak, if he was to start for a month in place of Pods (on the DL) could help out the offense in different ways.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:47 AM)
Yes, he has done a fine job with the bench but when I mention team speed I should have amplified ... stolen base proficiency speed.  Gload isn't slow but he's not a guy you look to for stolen bases.

Where's Ruddy Yan? :D

Podsednik was pretty awesome before the All-Star break last season (.294 AVG / .369 OBP / 44 SB / 9 CS). He was getting on base a ton and was hardly ever caught stealing. I hope we get that healthy version of Podsednik for a full season. Better yet, give me 2003 Podsednik. He was a freaking STUD that year.

Where's Ruddy Yan? :D

Rangers. I believe they converted him from 2B to CF.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/Y/ruddy-yan.shtml

Edited by SSH2005

Well if Pods has to go on the DL I guess Plan B for any length of time would be Owens. That is, if they want to keep Mackowiak in the rotating 3B/CF/RF role and use Pablo as a true bench guy. The thing that concerns me is Owens didn't look very impressive this month, he didn't look close to being ready to me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Are we talking about Podsednik, or Rickey Henderson?  :P  

Podsednik doesn't score a lot of runs for a leadoff hitter, and he doesn't drive in a lot of runs.  He can be a good table-setter, but someone like Mackowiak, if he was to start for a month in place of Pods (on the DL) could help out the offense in different ways.

Pods > Henderson

Well, he would've scored well over 100 runs last season had he been healthy all year. Which would've be a pretty good total considering how erratic we were offensively. I mean, he's no Johnny Damon. It would sure be nice to see what Pods could do with a Jim Thome hittin' 3rd for a full year. Will just agree to disagree about Mack. It's one thing to replace a Brian Anderson or Joe Crede, which I think he could do for a while, totally another thing to replace a speed freak, table-setter like Pods.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
Well if Pods has to go on the DL I guess Plan B for any length of time would be Owens.  That is, if they want to keep Mackowiak in the rotating 3B/CF/RF role and use Pablo as a true bench guy.  The thing that concerns me is Owens didn't look very impressive this month, he didn't look close to being ready to me.

I honestly think Plan B would be a platoon of Ozuna/Mackowiak, and Plan C would be Sweeney. I don't think they're extremely high on Owens yet.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Podsednik was pretty awesome before the All-Star break last season (.294 AVG / .369 OBP / 44 SB / 9 CS).  He was getting on base a ton and was hardly ever caught stealing.  I hope we get that healthy version of Podsednik for a full season.  Better yet, give me 2003 Podsednik.  He was a freaking STUD that year.

He was well on his way to 80+ steals.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:03 AM)
Pods > Henderson

Well,  he would've scored well over 100 runs last season had he been healthy all year.  Which would've be a pretty good total considering how erratic we were offensively.  I mean,  he's no Johnny Damon.  It would sure be nice to see what Pods could do with a Jim Thome hittin' 3rd for a full year.  Will just agree to disagree about Mack.  It's one thing to replace a Brian Anderson or Joe Crede,  which I think he could do for a while,  totally another thing to replace a speedy freak,  table-setter like Pods.

Yeah, you're making good points, and I appreciate the debate. The only thing that puts Crede and Anderson ahead of Pods, in my opinion, is their defensive value. I'm definitely not a fan of Podsednik's defense, and I think he's going to end up spending some time on the DL in April.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Yeah, you're making good points, and I appreciate the debate.  The only thing that puts Crede and Anderson ahead of Pods, in my opinion, is their defensive value.  I'm definitely not a fan of Podsednik's defense, and I think he's going to end up spending some time on the DL in April.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. It's very frustrating. It looked like we were gonna get through the spring with any significant injuries (I don't count Hermanson. It's obvious now that he wasn't gonna be ready to start the season).

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:09 AM)
Unfortunately,  I think you're right.  It's very frustrating.  It looked like we were gonna get through the spring with any significant injuries (I don't count Hermanson.  It's obvious now that he wasn't gonna be ready to start the season).

Hermanson now admits he won't be ready for the first half of the season. I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'm not thrilled with the way his injury was handled.