Will Pods be ready for opener?

SSH2005

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Yeah, you're making good points, and I appreciate the debate.  The only thing that puts Crede and Anderson ahead of Pods, in my opinion, is their defensive value.  I'm definitely not a fan of Podsednik's defense, and I think he's going to end up spending some time on the DL in April.

Where is all of this DL talk coming from? Ozzie was talking about a few days. He said he would rather not have him play the opening series than lose him to a DL stint by him getting hurt worse. He just has a strain and Herm said it's as much mental as it is physical. Lots of people who have sports hernia surgery feel little pulls. I think Pods gets kind of nervous about it, but most of them don't bother people after a couple of days. Everybody is just wondering about making it back Sunday, possibly even Friday. I don't think next week is a concern. Herm said that he could have gone out there today if it were an important game.

I think he might miss Sunday or maybe Tuesday, but I doubt it is more beyond that unless he reaggrevates something.

PS. If there is a quote somewhere talking about it being extended I apologize.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:14 AM)
Where is all of this DL talk coming from? Ozzie was talking about a few days. He said he would rather not have him play the opening series than lose him to a DL stint by him getting hurt worse. He just has a strain and Herm said it's as much mental as it is physical. Lots of people who have sports hernia surgery feel little pulls. I think Pods gets kind of nervous about it, but most of them don't bother people after a couple of days. Everybody is just wondering about making it back Sunday, possibly even Friday. I don't think next week is a concern. Herm said that he could have gone out there today if it were an important game.

I think he might miss Sunday or maybe Tuesday, but I doubt it is more beyond that unless he reaggrevates something.

Considering how careful they were with him last season, the MRI diagnosing a groin strain will probably make the Sox very careful with him. The latest stories on chicagosports make it seem 50/50 that he'll be ready to go by Opening Day. If he continues to struggle adjusting to the scar tissue, I can't see Ozzie putting him out on the field.

The most important thing though is that he gets confident in his own body. We saw last year what happens when he's tentative on the bases.

Yeah, you're making good points, and I appreciate the debate.  The only thing that puts Crede and Anderson ahead of Pods, in my opinion, is their defensive value.  I'm definitely not a fan of Podsednik's defense, and I think he's going to end up spending some time on the DL in April.

As ugly as Podsednik is to watch play defense due to his late jumps (I agree), I believe Baseball Info Solutions' "The Fielding Bible" ranked him as the first or second best defensive LF'er in outs made over the average LF'er last season. His arm is still pathetic though. Unfortunately, I also think he will be missing some time due to his groin this year.

How sick would it be if we could get a healthy 2003 version of Podsednik this year?

Podsednik (2003 stats): 558 AB / .314 AVG / .379 OBP / .443 SLG / .822 OPS / 9 HR / 58 RBI / 43 SB / 10 CS

:pray

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
Considering how careful they were with him last season, the MRI diagnosing a groin strain will probably make the Sox very careful with him.  The latest stories on chicagosports make it seem 50/50 that he'll be ready to go by Opening Day.  If he continues to struggle adjusting to the scar tissue, I can't see Ozzie putting him out on the field.

The most important thing though is that he gets confident in his own body.  We saw last year what happens when he's tentative on the bases.

I certainly wouldn't argue with Ozzie if he wanted to be extra cautious and sit Pods out Opening day. Not a bad idea at all if he's still feeling iffy. Good to see that Pods hopes to play Friday though.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
As ugly as Podsednik is to watch play defense due to his late jumps (I agree), I believe Baseball Info Solutions' "The Fielding Bible" ranked him as the second best defensive LF'er in outs made over the average LF'er last season.  His arm is still pathetic though.  Unfortunately, I also think he will be missing some time due to his groin this year.

How sick would it be if we could get a healthy 2003 version of Podsednik this year?

Podsednik (2003 stats):  558 AB / .314 AVG / .379 OBP / .443 SLG / .822 OPS / 9 HR / 58 RBI / 43 SB / 10 CS

:pray

I'm not greedy. I'll take April/May/June/July Podsednik from last year. :)

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

One thing about Podsednik is that speed doesn't last forever. Podsednik isn't old having just turned 30 years old but his speed will eventually decline, if it hasn't started to already. Juan Pierre will also be virtually worthless when he inevitably loses his speed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
I'll take the 2005 postseason Podsednik (except for the horses*** throwing arm, of course).

Yep. And that was with a sports hernia injury too. So we know he can play through the stuff a little bit.

LOL. He has a .950 postseason OPS.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:22 AM)
One thing about Podsednik is that speed doesn't last forever.  Podsednik isn't old having just turned 30 years old but his speed will eventually decline, if it hasn't started to already.  Juan Pierre will also be virtually worthless when he inevitably loses his speed.

Base stealers or like closers in baseball. As they get older, they lose their speed. The ones that can adjust can have a prolonged career (ie..Trevor Hoffman).

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:24 AM)
Yep. And that was with a sports hernia injury too. So we know he can play through the stuff a little bit.

He just has to get comfortable with the scar tissue. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be seriously injured. I'm more worried about his psychological state of mind on the bases.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
He just has to get comfortable with the scar tissue.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be seriously injured.  I'm more worried about his psychological state of mind on the bases.

Agreed. At this point I think it is much more the mental thing, and it might take him a week or two to get over it. Herm all but said that in Pods mind everything has to be running flawlessly and even a very minor strain like this gets in his head and he wants to make sure he is close to perfect again before he goes back out. So in a way its good to have this little episode while its still spring training so he can get an idea what a little tug from surgery is going to do. He'll ahve a couple of tugs during the first half most likely, but it won't be a physical problem. he'll just have to get over the mental part.

Per NBC 5 news: "Scott Podsednik is questionable for opening night."

Also, they showed a video of Pierzynski forcing a Florida Gators helmet onto Widger's head with Widger calling Pierzynski a "bandwagon jumper." :D

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Hermanson now admits he won't be ready for the first half of the season.  I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'm not thrilled with the way his injury was handled.

it's really the only choice they had. It was either the rehab protocol or surgery to fuse the vertebrae. I don't know off hand if any pitchers have returned to competition from a fusion but it would be very difficult. The rotation and flexion a pitch must do would put a greatdeal of stress on a lumbar fusion.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
Wow what is SSH2005 problem?

Are these just inside jokes I just dont get?

I mostly lurk and not post but he seems like a head case

What are you talking about? :huh

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:06 AM)
What concerns me is that there was enough inflammation to show up on the MRI. That is not a minor strain. even if he can play through it, this will be a problem for awhile.

This concerns me.

You know who got cut today (err, sent down)? Ryan Church. There's a guy who needs to be starting somewhere. Bowden is awful -- there aren't a whole lot of GMs that are worse.

Anyways... any toolsy players in the system like Alex Escobar?

Oh, and btw -- quit kidding yourselves with that Mack/Ozuna platoon. There's a reason these guys are bench players. The career OBP of these two are .328 and .307 respectively. If Pods is out long-term, the Sox need to make a move for a Ryan Church type, or give Owens the job.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
Wow what is SSH2005 problem?

Are these just inside jokes I just dont get?

I mostly lurk and not post but he seems like a head case

He's actually one of the best posters on this site, in my opinion. He's not afraid to express how he feels, and I think he starts a lot of great threads.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Agreed. At this point I think it is much more the mental thing, and it might take him a week or two to get over it. Herm all but said that in Pods mind everything has to be running flawlessly and even a very minor strain like this gets in his head and he wants to make sure he is close to perfect again before he goes back out. So in a way its good to have this little episode while its still spring training so he can get an idea what a little tug from surgery is going to do. He'll ahve a couple of tugs during the first half most likely, but it won't be a physical problem. he'll just have to get over the mental part.

i'm not too sure about that. Muscle repairs are tricky things and I can see why they need to be cautious. With enough inflammation to show on the MRI, it's not just a "blow it off" type of injury.

Edited by ptatc

This concerns me.

You know who got cut today (err, sent down)?  Ryan Church.  There's a guy who needs to be starting somewhere.  Bowden is awful -- there aren't a whole lot of GMs that are worse.

Anyways...  any toolsy players in the system like Alex Escobar?

Haha, I saw your post at Southsidesox. It would be freaking sweet if KW could rob Bowden again for Ryan Church this time. Hell, Bowden seems to want a prototypical leadoff hitter with speed so bad -- send him back Jerry Owens for Church. :D

The dude trades a ton of talent for a disgruntled and horrible second baseman who said that he didn't want to play LF even before the trade. Now he sends one of his best outfielders down to the minors. How in the f***balls does he still have a job?

Boy at least I am not the only one noticing Jabs issues.    :P  :whip

Just wait until I cyber-rape you in the chat room. :wub:

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
i'm not too ure about that. Muscle repairs are tricky things and I can see why they need to be cautious. With enough inflammation to show on the MRI, it's not just a "blow it off" type of injury.

Depends on how you define it. It is fairly minor/routine for someone coming off of a sports hernia surgery, as has been said by all involved. You could take an MRI of everyone on the team and find some inflammation in there. Inflammation is extremely common for ballplayers. I covered a basketball player that had the same surgery as Pods and he had it around the same time as Pods and was back playing in December and January. He felt a tug every once in awhile, but once he realized that it really wasn't anything that would hurt him, he just played through it with no problem. Now, everybody is different, but I've heard of similar things with many SH surgeries.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Haha, I saw your post at Southsidesox.  It would be freaking sweet if KW could rob Bowden again for Ryan Church this time.  Hell, Bowden seems to want a prototypical leadoff hitter with speed so bad -- send him back Jerry Owens for Church.  :D

The dude trades a ton of talent for a disgruntled and horrible second baseman who said that he didn't want to play LF even before the trade.  Now he sends one of his best outfielders down to the minors.  How in the f***balls does he still have a job?

Just wait until I cyber-rape you in the chat room.  :wub:

I keed because I care. :lolhitting

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Depends on how you define it. It is fairly minor/routine for someone coming off of a sports hernia surgery, as has been said by all involved. You could take an MRI of everyone on the team and find some inflammation in there. Inflammation is extremely common for ballplayers. I covered a basketball player that had the same surgery as Pods  and he had it around the same time as Pods and was back playing in December and January. He felt a tug every once in awhile, but once he realized that it really wasn't anything that would hurt him, he just played through it with no problem. Now, everybody is different, but I've heard of similar things with many SH surgeries.

In order for the inflammation to show on the MRI there needs to more fluid present than just typical inflammation. The sports hernia is a basket term for these muscle problems and it could very well go down the way you are saying. But if the inflammation is at that level and he's feeling in the same area, I would be very cautious also. Especially in this case where his base stealing relies on the lateral movement and tremendous acceleration.

If I remember right Tim Raines described Pods first move as a cross over step with his left leg as opposed to the way he did it with a right first step. If this is the case that is all the more reason to be careful with the left leg.