White Sox: Five things to know

RME JICO

White Sox: Five things to know

By Scott Miller

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Five things to know about the Chicago White Sox:

1. So far so good with Jim Thome, who could dominate American League pitching if he stays on the field. After playing in a career-low 59 games in Philadelphia last season because of a back strain and tendinitis in his elbow, it's all systems go for the 35-year-old designated hitter. "I'll be honest, my back is really just a maintenance issue," Thome says. "I had a few problems last year, but it's never been anything I have to worry about. I've had periods where I've had a sore back, but I think every player gets that." His elbow, he says, is just swell.

2. It's all about the pitching: Chicago's pitching depth is such that top prospect Brandon McCarthy, who has accomplished pretty much whatever there is to accomplish in the minors, will open the season in the bullpen. Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez give the Sox as deep a rotation as there is. McCarthy will work in relief and step into the rotation if there are any injuries. "He'll get his time as a starter in," GM Kenny Williams says. "It's going old school, guys working their way into the rotation, into their major-league shoes."

3. Despite three off days in the season's first 10 days, don't look for the White Sox to skip anybody's turn in the rotation. "Because my five guys are legit," manager Ozzie Guillen says. "Most managers skip guys because they don't have confidence in their fifth starter, or fourth starter. I have confidence in everyone.

4. One thing that really stood out last year was the White Sox's success in close games. They were 35-19 in one-run games and 26-15 in two-run games. Hard-thrower Bobby Jenks wound up as the White Sox closer and now will be asked to do it for his first full season. It's all about the control and psychology now, because Jenks fanned an average of 11.44 batters per nine innings in '05, which ranked sixth among AL relievers.

5. The biggest concern for the White Sox as spring camp was concluding was Dustin Hermanson's sore back. He was one of the AL's best relievers last season, collecting 34 saves before back problems slowed him toward the end of the season and knocked him out of the entire postseason except for one out against Houston in the World Series. The Sox thought the offseason gave Hermanson's back the rest it needed, but it looks like it could be a nagging thing all season now. everyone."

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9343801

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
The bullpen will not be below average.

I don't think they will be either, Coop is just too damn good for it to happen. Plus, our starters will cover up a lot of the flaws our bullpen has IMO. But even if they are below average, we'll still be fine IMO. They just can't suck, and they definitely won't be that bad.

5. The biggest concern for the White Sox as spring camp was concluding was Dustin Hermanson's sore back. He was one of the AL's best relievers last season, collecting 34 saves before back problems slowed him toward the end of the season and knocked him out of the entire postseason except for one out against Houston in the World Series. The Sox thought the offseason gave Hermanson's back the rest it needed, but it looks like it could be a nagging thing all season now. everyone."

Everyone.......what? What does that mean?