Pods

Dick Allen

I thought he just tweeked something and was taken out as a precatiounary measure? Now according to the article in the Tribune, he's not sure he'll be ready by opening night. Pods with a groin problem is something that seems to linger and if his legs are anything less than 100%, he really isn't an asset.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 08:18 AM)
I thought he just tweeked something and was taken out as a precatiounary measure? Now according to the article in the Tribune, he's not sure he'll be ready by opening night. Pods with a groin problem is something that seems to linger and if his legs are anything less than 100%, he really isn't an asset.

I'm really getting worried about this. We can't have our lead-off guy out. He was hitting good too. Getting nervous. :unsure:

Sox have seen Pods' injury before

March 29, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter 

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The latest injury to outfielder Scott Podsednik is being called a strained adductor.

While the White Sox leadoff hitter is insisting "it's not bad,'' it was a strained left adductor last season that put him on the 15-day disabled list in August.

"It's a different area,'' Podsednik said Tuesday. "It's a little lower down in more of the muscle belly, which is better.

"It's just frustrating because I've been working on trying to prevent this particular injury, and then you go out and it happens. You feel kind of helpless, but it's just one of those things.''

Podsednik suffered the injury Monday while running to first base on a third-inning double against the Cubs. He left the game in the middle of the third. Podsednik had offseason surgery for a sports hernia but did not want to speculate on whether the latest injury was related.

"Since I had the operation on that side, we're hoping it's just some scar tissue that maybe broke away,'' he said. "We're hoping it's somewhat related and it's not going to become an ongoing problem.''

Podsednik hopes to get some at-bats this weekend in Atlanta but isn't sure if he will be ready for Opening Day on Sunday.

"That's a tough question,'' he said. "We have about six days. What's going to be important is mentally trying to visualize where I've been the past few days and try to stay as sharp as I can mentally.''

JUST IN CASE: Manager Ozzie Guillen had a quick meeting with his coaching staff to make sure they had a Plan B ready to go if Podsednik is out for an extended period.

The Sox will use Rob Mackowiak in the leadoff spot and in left field against right-handed pitchers, with Pablo Ozuna taking both spots against lefty starters. The last thing Guillen wants to do is rush Podsednik back.

"If we push him to play and all of a sudden it's worse,'' Guillen said, "I'd rather lose him for a few days than 20 or 25 games.''

I really hope it is just scar tissue and he can get back to 100%.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
In that video on chisox.com he says at the very beginning, "I'm day to day. Should be well playing by opening day." Funny how some quotes never make it into the media's stories.  :bang

In the Sun-Times he was asked if he'd be ready by opening day and he answered, "That's a tough question". I think its best he sit in chilly weather, especially with Sabbathia on the mound.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
In the Sun-Times he was asked if he'd be ready by opening day and he answered, "That's a tough question". I think its best he sit in chilly weather, especially with Sabbathia on the mound.

Yah. But when you watch the video, you get the sense that he means it's a tough question if he'll be ready to play gameplay wise, like in confident in his swing and ready to hit. He talks about visualizing so his swing will be there. Not injury wise. I thought that was what he was talking about too by reading the story, but when you watch the video he says he should be ready health wise, but it will be tough to be ready gameplay wise and keep his good swing that he's had going. He'll have to "visualize" it like he says. Seeing a video like that is great.

But I wouldn't mind them holding him out Sunday night no matter what he says.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Pods and Crede were both hurt during the Aug-September collapse of '05...

Podsednik gets everything going, and it would be stupid to rush him back in cold weather so he can injury himself further and really do some damage to his legs.

I really dont care how long they sit him, I just dont want to be hearing about it all season long. Get him healthy, and hopfully were done with it.....

Yep, no brainer, two weeks vs. half a season.

I have no problem with Pablo Ozuna leading off in LF Sunday night so Pods can be 100%....Granted, I would have loved to have seen Pods get his cheers when he stepped to the dish Sun night but Pablo had a crucial stolen base in Gm 2 of the ALCS and you gotta love how he always goes with the pitch to RF for base hits.... :gosox1:

Edited by Allsox

I totally agree with Tony--better to have him rest and bring him back when he's ready so we're not missing him in the second half, which almost cost us the season last year.

I can handle a slow start or, if you will, if we pulled a Cleveland this year but went all the way still. I don't know if I can live through another dominate-the-entire-year and then nosedive-in-September season, LOL.

But rest him until he's ready. More playing time for Pablo, I guess. Or whoever.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
Rest him til mid April.  Let's not underestimate how much Pods helps the team.

It's also entirely possible that this is just something that will need to work itself out through work. If you rest it too much, he may stand back up in Mid April, go back to running the bases, and have it flare right back up. He may just need to get work and get used to the scar tissue.

Unfortunately, there are a number of signs for concern.

1) The pain is the the same muscle as the surgey.

2) The team thought it was bad enough to warrant the MRI

3) There was enough inflammation to show postive on the MRI

4) He was supposed to play yesterday until they got the results of the MRI

5) As a lefty hitter it's the rear leg and it stretches as he strides into the pitch.

With all of these factors, the should be very conservative and not let him play until it's 100% which could take some time. I'm afraid he'll run into the trap of "it's good enough to play" and have it be a problem on and off throughout the season. As the quotes in the paper also indicate, he does not do well unless he is at 100%, as the high performance car analogy indicated.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
It's also entirely possible that this is just something that will need to work itself out through work.  If you rest it too much, he may stand back up in Mid April, go back to running the bases, and have it flare right back up.  He may just need to get work and get used to the scar tissue.

Good point. I think that's a good second option. First I'd rest him, if he comes back and it flares up again like you say, THEN have him try to work through it. :huh

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Unfortunately, there are a number of signs for concern.

1) The pain is the the same muscle as the surgey.

2) The team thought it was bad enough to warrant the MRI

3) There was enough inflammation to show postive on the MRI

4) He was supposed to play yesterday until they got the results of the MRI

5) As a lefty hitter it's the rear leg and it stretches as he strides into the pitch.

With all of these factors, the should be very conservative and not let him play until it's 100% which could take some time. I'm afraid he'll run into the trap of "it's good enough to play" and have it be a problem on and off throughout the season. As the quotes in the paper also indicate, he does not do well unless he is at 100%, as the high performance car analogy indicated.

I would think about putting him on the 15 day dl to start the season. Remember its a 162 game marathon not a sprint. A not 100% healthy pods robs this team of what its capable of. Even though I love pods, at the end of the year I would evaluate his situation and perhaps thinkabout not brining him back and finding a new leadoff hitter. We just cant have this linger forever over the spark that makes this team work. If he can not be reliable he is not going to be on this team. KW always finds a replacment.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
Why not call up Owens and give him a shot for a couple of weeks,  as much as I like Mac I don't like him in the leadoff spot.

Because there is nobody that is going to be put on the DL. There wouldn't be any room for him.

Im just gonna sit back with my fingers crossed and hope there is a little conspiracy behind all this.

The questionable seriousness behind this injury sure has done a good job of taking attention away from Bobby Jenks this week.

Im going opening night and sure would love to see Pods taking the first pitch and providing the first spark to what is gonna be a great season!!!

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Because there is nobody that is going to be put on the DL. There wouldn't be any room for him.

If Pods is not going to be ready for a week or so put him the DL retroactive to Monday and give Owens a shot you never know.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
If Pods is not going to be ready for a week or so put him the DL retroactive to Monday and give Owens a shot you never know.

I don't think it's nearly serious enough to even think about the DL. They are saying being conservative is keeping him out a game or two. And that might not even be necessary. It sounds like he wants to give it a go in ATL.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
I don't think it's nearly serious enough to even think about the DL. They are saying being conservative is keeping him out a game or two. And that might not even be necessary. It sounds like he wants to give it a go in ATL.

I hope he is ready to go too I just threw Owens because him and Pods are similar type players.

Let's all remember Re: Owens that his arbitration clock hasn't started yet IIRC. If we bring him up before the end of June, he hits FA a year earlier. (Oh, and he's never played an at bat in AAA before this camp too.)

I still think Pods is just suffering from trying to get back into baseball shape after sitting out not only the offseason but the first couple weeks of ST because of the shoulder. This sort of soreness I would bet would happen to >80% of the people who have that exact surgery then come back and immediately try to start going full speed and stealing bases. It's just happening now because of his shoulder problem. Sort of a shame he didn't report a week earlier.