Bloody Injuns!

bschmaranz

Ughhh, so cheap...

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=cle

The minimum base of the contract will pay Sizemore $23.45 million over six years, and the option is worth $8.5 million, according to Sizemore's agent, Joe Urban. Escalators based on awards and All-Star appearances could push the option's worth to as much as $10.5 million.

Are they really extending the amount of time they can retain these guys at all? Didn't they already have like 5 more years before Sizemore could become a FA? It seems to me that they're basically paying these guys more than they have to now to get an extra year on the end and hope they return the favor when they hit free agency.

Can't blame them. An organization which develops quality prospects who continually produce should ensure security with their players.

I didn't expect the Indians to let him go.

If their payroll increases subtantially through the next several years, coinciding with the numerous low-paying positional players occupying their roster--and prospects ready for the majors--they're going to have a LOT of money available to sign quality free-agents.

It would helpful if several infield prospects stepped up within our system. Or outfield prospects developed legitimate power potential. Even if Anderson reaches 20+HR expectations one day, Owens (if you believe he's Pods heir--which I do) won't supply much whereas Dye won't remain "dirt-cheap" (Jabs favorite line) forever.

Who's currently the closest to the majors now--Josh Fields? And he's not replacing Crede anytime soon. Owens? Replace the catalyst of our ballclub and perhaps the most difficult to emulate. Sweeney, if his wrist recovery continues unscathed, may develop power potential--but he'll have to prove it to me this upcoming season.

If our payroll exceeds it's current level we should remain alright, but balancing a steady influx of prospects and smart FA signings will keep a club in contention for a long time. Indians looked primed for such an event.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Are they really extending the amount of time they can retain these guys at all? Didn't they already have like 5 more years before Sizemore could become a FA? It seems to me that they're basically paying these guys more than they have to now to get an extra year on the end and hope they return the favor when they hit free agency.

If you have full confidence that they won't get hurt or fall apart, it's a pretty good gamble. I think they get the guys to cut 1 extra year out of FA, which probably is cutting out $10+ million from their contracts, and they never have to go to arbitration with them, which in some cases is cutting $5-$10 million out for those seasons, so I think it's a pretty safe bargain, as long as people don't get hurt. I think Cleveland probably is coming out on top in most of these deals, but they're giving their young guys more money early in exchange.

Actually I'd say they're about even on the money doing this, because they're giving up 2 or 3 years of having them at like $500,000 in exchange for saving some money down the line. I don't really think they're even saving that much money in the later years because the $ amounts get higher and they probably would negoiate somewhat reasonable deals instead of letting them go to aribitration anyways. I guess it helps not having to negotiate in the future though.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
why would he agree to a six year deal?  that seems absurdly long for a player who could very well have broken the bank at the end of this season for even a four year deal...

Probably because he couldn't break the bank at the end of a 4 year deal, because he wouldn't have enough MLB service time to be a Free Agent; he'd only be arbitration eligibile.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
why would he agree to a six year deal?  that seems absurdly long for a player who could very well have broken the bank at the end of this season for even a four year deal...

He has no leverage.

Sizemore was locked into making near league minimum for the next two years, then whatever he would be awarded at arbitration for the three following that.

He delayed Free Agency by a year (maybe two) in exchange for the security associated with a long-term deal when he could be playing for peanuts relative to his actual worth.

they got a hell of a deal.  I still think there gonna have 10 less wins this year, maybe 15.

I agree, getting rid of Millwood was a mistake, but still, I think they can do good this year. These young players who got them this far can only do better, and plus they're all locked up. Shapiro's plan worked to perfection. He said they wouldn't compete for the playoffs until 2005, and he was right