Blog on chicagosports.com RIPS CUBS

whitesoxfan101

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....nergy.html#more

After a 1998 season in which the Cubs caught lightning in a bottle, the franchise decided that it could hold on to said lightning. All the while thinking they were just a tweak away from making the leap from wild card to division title, the higher-ups watched as the team won 32 of its first 55 games, then 35 for the rest of the season in 1999.

The Cubs should have improved upon their 2003 campaign, but injuries and a collection of players who liked to focus on absolutely anything except baseball (I'm looking at you, Kent Mercker) led the team to collapse down the stretch. Again, with the higher-ups thinking the team just needed a tweak here or there, the 2005 Cubs stunk up the joint. Now they bring you the 2006 version with a lame-duck manager and no insurance policy against the same injury-prone pitchers who hobbled through 2004 and 2005. So why is this a concern? It's business as usual.

The Cubs should elicit as much interest in Chicago as the Arizona Cardinals do in Phoenix. Both are long-standing franchises with an almost equally long history of losing, with a winning season thrown in once a decade or so. But unlike the Cardinals, who are working on their third city, the Cubs have fans who still talk about 1969 with almost as much reverence as Bears fans talk about 1985. News flash: In 1969, as with every other season since World War II ended, the Cubs lost. They will again this season, and probably the year after that. Stop wasting the energy.

Well done!! :D

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Their fans go to get drunk and check out the hot girls. My boss is a Cubs fan, and he told me that's why he goes to the games

To tell you the truth, if I were a fan of that team, thats exactly what I'd do. No reason to watch the product on the field.

Actually, I'd probably just save my money and go to Arby's. The cashier is pretty hot and the food is better. If only they served beer.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
To tell you the truth, if I were a fan of that team, thats exactly what I'd do.  No reason to watch the product on the field.

Actually, I'd probably just save my money and go to Arby's.  The cashier is pretty hot and the food is better.  If only they served beer.

They should install swivel seats so the crowd can turn around easier, since no one is watching the game anyway.

How about Mike Downey's column today?

Sox are legit, but the Cubs look like Pretenders

A few days ago, while in the process of evaluating the teams that play in the Cubs' division, I pulled the Milwaukee Brewers out of my hat as the guys who are going to surprise St. Louis, Houston and the rest of the baseball world in this 2006 season by ending up in first place.

This led to a Cubs fan inquiring of me, quite understandably, "So if the Brewers are going to be in first place, where are the Cubs going to be?"

The words came out of my mouth a little more quickly than I meant them to, a little too bluntly.

"Last place," I said.

A look of puzzlement came over this true-blue Cubs fan's face, followed by a snicker and a logical deduction that I must be pulling his leg. Because no matter how unsuccessful the Cubs legendarily have been, no matter how unlucky and how accident-prone, I couldn't honestly take a good look at these guys and see them stumbling home dead last.

But, in fact, I do.

I can find no logical reason, however, to choose the White Sox not to take their division again this season. Nothing they have done since their triumphant October has given anyone any specific cause to doubt them.

If only the Cubs could catch every break, avoid every injury, develop that same perfect blend of talent and teamwork, they could do exactly what the White Sox did. To end up in first place, not in last place, would be a heckuva way for the Cubs to make 2006 even more of a shock than 2005.

They won't.

:o :lol:

To tell you the truth, if I were a fan of that team, thats exactly what I'd do.  No reason to watch the product on the field.

Actually, I'd probably just save my money and go to Arby's.  The cashier is pretty hot and the food is better.  If only they served beer.

I don't understand why they'd go to the games to do it, when there are places where you can get drunk and check out the hot girls much cheaper