Sox want Pods at top of lineup

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Sox want Pods at top of lineup

Ailing Podsednik's speed, disruptive nature missed by team

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox would like to have Scott Podsednik in the starting lineup when the 2006 regular season opens Sunday night against Cleveland at U.S. Cellular Field. Actually, the South Siders would like Podsednik to be out there for 155 or 156 games this season, taking advantage of his speed at the top of the order.

But contrary to public belief, the White Sox are equipped to survive even without Podsednik on the field for a short period.

"Our offense is built out of depth and not just firepower in the middle, as we used to be," said White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker, focusing on the team's offense. "Obviously, we are better when the everyday players are all in there, but we have bench guys we are very confident in and Ozzie is real good in using his bench.

"We are a deeper team this year. And Ozzie keeps guys alive, where they have a chance to go in and do something. That's how it has to be. How many teams go all year with the same players?"

With Podsednik out of the lineup once again Wednesday, Pablo Ozuna played left field against Milwaukee starter Doug Davis, a left-handed pitcher. Manager Ozzie Guillen has used Ozuna in left on a couple of occasions this spring, just to be prepared, and also had him at the leadoff position. Ozuna came through with a walk-off home run in the 10th inning to beat the Brewers.

Left-handed-hitting Rob Mackowiak figures to be in the lineup Thursday against Colorado's Josh Fogg. That platoon plan will be followed as long as Podsednik is out of action, with Ozuna or Mackowiak hitting leadoff.

"I don't have the speed Podsednik has, and I haven't really hit that much leadoff," said Mackowiak with a smile. "But it's not much different. I'll be the same hitter, whether I'm leading off or hitting fifth or eighth or ninth.

"It won't change my approach," Mackowiak added.

Guillen won't change his aggressive style without Podsednik, although the team functions better with him in the lineup. The White Sox finished 18-20 in 2005 with Podsednik on the bench.

As Walker pointed out, though, the White Sox bench is a little different from other teams' reserve unit. There's no time to rest or take a day off with Guillen at the helm.

"The first thing Ozzie said when he took over was, 'I want bench players ready to play every day,'" Walker said. "We don't have a guy hanging his head at the end of the bench, wondering why they aren't playing.

"They are stretching and getting ready to play. When their name is in the lineup, they are ready."

Injury update: Podsednik confirmed that he was feeling better Wednesday morning, and Guillen said that he will try to get Podsednik into a game this weekend in Atlanta. Guillen quickly added that Podsednik needs to play an exhibition game or two out of the remaining three before he can put his name atop the starting lineup for Sunday night.

"I would like to know exactly where we are," Guillen said of Podsednik. "I won't lose one of my players in the first or second inning. I would rather he be 100 percent than put doubts in my mind.

"The type of game he plays, that's his game. His legs. I'll wait to see how he feels. As soon as he feels good, he's in the lineup."

Repeat performance: Left-handed phenom Boone Logan threw in back-to-back games for the first time during Cactus League action, but the increased workload certainly didn't seem to be an issue. Logan entered in the seventh, with runners on second and third and one out, and proceeded to strike out Gabe Gross and induce an inning-ending fly ball to left from Rickie Weeks without allowing a single run to score.

"It's easy to come out and pitch when it's 10-0 or 8-2," said Guillen of Logan. "But I put him in a tough situation to see what we are going to get from him. I want to know what we have with the game on the line, and he did a tremendous job."

"To be honest, that was the most nervous I was all spring," added Logan, who mentioned that was the quickest he has gotten ready in any of his spring appearances. "Just having to get ready real quick and the adrenaline was running more than ever."

Logan even sensed an increase in velocity, an assertion agreed upon by Guillen.

"I pitched well," Logan said. "My arm felt great. It seemed like I was throwing harder today than most of spring."

Matt Thornton and Brandon McCarthy also threw one hitless inning of relief apiece.

Good-bye, Arizona: Count Freddy Garcia as one of the many White Sox pitchers who won't mind leaving the dry, windy weather of Arizona. Garcia said he had trouble gripping his slider because of Wednesday's conditions.

"I was trying a lot of fastballs and changeups," said Garcia, who allowed four earned runs on 11 hits over 6 1/3 innings in his last start before Tuesday's first day game of the regular season. Garcia also struck out three and didn't walk a batter.

"But I'm ready to go," Garcia added. "I made my pitches and threw 86 pitches and that's what I needed today."

On the same page: According to Guillen, the White Sox will have a team meeting before their first game in Atlanta on Friday to discuss the goals and the focus for the 2006 season.

"Everything will start in Atlanta," Guillen said. "I don't want to wait until Chicago to have the meeting. It's going to be a distraction."

Third to first: Alex Cintron, starting at shortstop Wednesday, left in the bottom of the second inning with an upset stomach. Cintron said he felt so poorly that he vomited on the field in between innings. Chris Getz replaced him ... Jim Thome has made up for lost time where spring home runs are concerned. His two off of Doug Davis on Wednesday give Thome six long balls since Sunday ... Bobby Jenks sported a new completely-shaved-head look when he arrived at Kino Sports Complex on Wednesday.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

After the game, manager Ozzie Guillen stressed leadoff batter Scott Podsednik would need to play one of the Sox's final three exhibition games to have any chance of playing in Sunday's regular-season opener.

Podsednik said his strained left groin felt better before heading to the trainer's room and Guillen said trainer Herm Schneider told him Podsednik should be ready in a few days.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
Nope, I just think it's hilarious.  :lol:  Check out the website.  Dem's some crazy b****es.  :ph34r:

Grady acts like he doesn't notice it and is surprised to have a fan club. Besides that i think he will a major problem for us this season.

"It's easy to come out and pitch when it's 10-0 or 8-2," said Guillen of Logan. "But I put him in a tough situation to see what we are going to get from him. I want to know what we have with the game on the line, and he did a tremendous job."

I hope Ozzie can find a few more situations like this for Logan these last 3 days.

I hope Ozzie can find a few more situations like this for Logan these last 3 days.

I have hope. Afterall, can the kid really be any worse than Marte who absolutely refused to throw strikes most of the time? So far, Logan is making batters earn their way on base. Just don't issue free passes a la Marte and he should be fine.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Pujols expected to anchor Card lineup

Hunter establishing himself in center

Royals SUCK

Thanks for the update.

Heh.

"Buehrle expected to seize starting spot; Cooper thinks there is potential"

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
I have hope.  Afterall, can the kid really be any worse than Marte who absolutely refused to throw strikes most of the time?  So far, Logan is making batters earn their way on base.  Just don't issue free passes a la Marte and he should be fine.

I'd wait until Logan actually shows he can perform in the majors for a couple of months, before I'd anoint him better than Marte.

For all we know, Marte could get back to his best form in Pittsburgh, since he won't be facing up to Ozzie everyday.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 01:54 AM)
I'd wait until Logan actually shows he can perform in the majors for a couple of months, before I'd anoint him better than Marte.

For all we know, Marte could get back to his best form in Pittsburgh, since he won't be facing up to Ozzie everyday.

Dam is done, he's f'd up in the head.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Bobby Jenks sported a new completely-shaved-head look when he arrived at Kino Sports Complex on Wednesday.

I wonder if he is trying to lose some extra weight.

Edited by RME JICO

True, Marte could find his old form but he has to get over his injury troubles first. But I was using 2005 Marte as a comparison, not 2002-2004 Marte. I'm not annointing Logan anything yet but all he has to do is throw strikes. Last season, Marte's WHIP was astronomical (1.72). Just keep throwing good strikes, Boonie.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 03:03 AM)
True, Marte could find his old form but he has to get over his injury troubles first.  But I was using 2005 Marte as a comparison, not 2002-2004 Marte.  I'm not annointing Logan anything yet but all he has to do is throw strikes.  Last season, Marte's WHIP was astronomical (1.72).  Just keep throwing good strikes, Boonie.

Logan seems to have more confidence in his ability compared to Marte. As long as he can stay confident and throw strikes, he will be an uprgade from Marte-2005.

Based off of Marte's IP from 2005, McCarthy's increased role in the Bullpen, and Vazquez pitching instead of El Duque, Logan will probably only have about 40-50IP this year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
Dam is done, he's f'd up in the head.

I wouldn't count him out just yet, if he's comfortable in his surroundings and is confident, he's a top 5 setup man in the MLB, I really believe that.

And Pittsburgh's a perfect place for him, no pressure on him to perform at an elite level with so many other good late inning guys.

And guys like Salomon Torres have come into their own over there.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
True, Marte could find his old form but he has to get over his injury troubles first.  But I was using 2005 Marte as a comparison, not 2002-2004 Marte.  I'm not annointing Logan anything yet but all he has to do is throw strikes.  Last season, Marte's WHIP was astronomical (1.72).  Just keep throwing good strikes, Boonie.

Still tell me if Boone Logan was to give up a 3.77 ERA in 2006 like Marte did in 2005, would you take that right now?

Logan may give up less walks, but he could have a higher .BAA. Marte had a .223 .BAA over the last 3 seasons, which was an underrated part of his pitching (although because he was walking 1 guy every 2 games last season). And that could be dangerous for Logan, especially if he doesn't have the propensity to be a groundball pitcher.