The choking game...

Steff

:headshake

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06040/652876.stm

Parents of dead Mt. Lebanon boy warn of 'Choking Game'

Thursday, February 09, 2006

By Laura Pace, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The parents of a 13-year-old Mt. Lebanon boy want school officials and parents to talk to children about "The Choking Game," in hopes of stopping behavior that they believe killed their son.

"My son was taken away," said the boy's father, who asked that his son's name not be used. "They feel like nothing can happen to them."

The boy died at his home on Monday, and his parents believe it was a result of "The Choking Game," where children deprive their brains of oxygen by wrapping their throats with belts or ropes to get a quick high when blood flow returns.

"I think educating the kids about the terrors of it is what you need to do," the boy's father said today.

If confirmed, it could be the first documented death in the county due to the game.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner has ruled the Mt. Lebanon boy's cause of death as "asphyxiation by hanging" but is waiting for results of the Mt. Lebanon police investigation and toxicology tests before ruling if it was an accident or suicide.

The parents are adamant that their son did not kill himself.

Mt. Lebanon Police Chief Thomas A. Ogden Jr. would not say if officers were investigating the game but said the department has ruled out foul play and there was no evidence of suicide. The boy's father said police took his son's cell phone and computer to see if there were clues to the death there.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
I thought that the deal was that kids were....you know.....when they did this because it felt better. I wasn't aware people choked themselves for fun these days.

People do it for the euphoric high that results when oxygen is cut off from the brain, I hear it is much like doing any sort of drug to get high. The problem is that if you do it too long, you kill yourself or the person you are doing it too. Some people will try anything for a rush, its really sad.

There was a strong feeling that the lead singer of INXS, Michael Hutchence, died doing this sort of thing with his wife. The Australian coroner determined it was a suicide, but I never bought into that. He was found naked, hanging above his bed, and his wife had just gone downstairs. And they were both known to be a lot kinky.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
I thought that the deal was that kids were....you know.....when they did this because it felt better. I wasn't aware people choked themselves for fun these days.

IIRC, I think George Carlin had a segment in his latest HBO show about that. Seems to be more common than people think. Choking ones self whilst choking the chicken and then trying to "time" the corresponding "feelings"................ :huh:

I think it is stupid as hell. It was in "Life as a House," and when the kid did it, I was laughing histerically and all the girls who I was with got mad and said people really do that and get hurt. If you really do that, maybe it's better to not have you anymore. Just saying. STUPID AS HELL.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
I played the choking game with guns once.

pussy

get on big ladder and jump off and try to fall inbetween a fully starter helicopter's blades

what a rush, baby!

Edited by mr_genius