Wrigley sells out bleacher naming rights

whitesoxfan101

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Wrigley bleachers named 'Bud Light bleachers'

March 30, 2006, 1:01 PM CST

The Cubs announced today that the newly renovated Wrigley Field bleachers will be officially named the "Bud Light bleachers."

"The Cubs are one of the most storied teams in baseball, with a tremendously loyal fan base and one of the greatest venues in all of sports. We're excited to offer this new feature – the Bud Light Bleachers – to Cubs fans," said Tony Ponturo, vice president, Global Media and Sports Marketing, Anheuser-Busch Inc. in a statement.

"The bleachers at Wrigley Field represent the ultimate fan experience in Major League Baseball. We are proud to have the prestigious Bud Light brand join us in this partnership as we enhance our fans' experience," said John F. McDonough, Senior Vice President, Marketing and Broadcasting, Chicago Cubs.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The last few years the Cubs have really been selling their souls for the green, even more than in the past.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Is this a real news item?

the Cubs front office feels that if they put names on sections of seats, then Cubs fans will come in droves to experience the "classiness" and pay extra money.

Looks like they were right.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
And they wonder why the Cardinal's are a better team.

You dont see Stl naming anything "Tribune's Home Run Porch".

Well to be fair, they still have Big Mac land, even several years after McGwire is gone, which is sponsored by McDonalds.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
I hate things like this. And US Cellular Field.

But if it has to happen to a team, let it be the Cubs. :)

I love what the money from US Cellular allowed them to do to the ballpark. That was one 'sellout' that was worth it. As an added bonus, it eliminated the name of a skinflint that sent the franchise into an 88 year funk. Personally, I liked it best been old Comisky was called 'White Sox Park'.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
I love what the money from US Cellular allowed them to do to the ballpark.  That was one 'sellout' that was worth it.  As an added bonus, it eliminated the name of a skinflint that sent the franchise into an 88 year funk.  Personally, I liked it best been old Comisky was called 'White Sox Park'.

I don't really care either way about Comiskey's name being off the park (although I understand your point and I know a lot of people share the opinion), but I agree that the US Cellular money corrected all the mistakes that were made when the park was built. The awful roof, the tragic color scheme, the dreaded blue seats....all have been addressed with US Cellular cash. Add to that the Fundamentals and Fan Deck and it was a very effective "sellout" indeed.

The "Bud Light Bleachers" is nothing but a cash grab, and that's what makes me dislike it.