Greatest Heavyweight Boxer in their Prime

Who reached the highest peak during their prime?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who reached the highest peak during their prime?

• Muhammad Ali
    • Mike Tyson
    • Joe Louis
    • Larry Holmes
    • Rocky Marciano
    • Jack Johnson
    • Jack Dempsey
    • George Foreman
    • Lennox Lewis
    • Other

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
yeah, I have to agree.  It's a shame that no one seems even close to the top 10 guys of the 80's and 90's.    Everybody's playing football or Basketball.  That's the only logical reason I can come with.

The interest in boxing is certainly a cause. However, alot of it has to do with the new era of "super heavyweights." If a guy doesn't have the body type to fight at 240+, he won't compete in that division. It's a much smarter move to work your ass off and fight at a lower weight class. Of the super heavyweights, the only truly gifted fighter was Lennox Lewis.

BTW... I picked Ali. It's not even close.

By peak are we saying one fight? One year? A 3 year stretch? I would have to pick between Mike and Ali, the two best I witnessed. I had to pick Mike, because there was a stretch there that he appeared invincible. Ali always seemed close to beatible. Of course then we could argue talent of the opposition. I think Ali was pushed more, the fight game was deeper and more talented as a group.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
By peak are we saying one fight? One year? A 3 year stretch? I would have to pick between Mike and Ali, the two best I witnessed. I had to pick Mike, because there was a stretch there that he appeared invincible. Ali always seemed close to beatible. Of course then we could argue talent of the opposition. I think Ali was pushed more, the fight game was deeper and more talented as a group.

Their styles were so different too. Ali never forced the fight. He waited for the opponent to make mistakes. He was a boxer/puncher. Tyson was a brawler. Tyson bulldozed through everybody. It's hard to compare.