Update On Pods

HeGone33

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
According to the score, Pods will not make the trip to Atlanta and will stay back to play in some minor league games.  He may not play Sunday since we are facing Sabathia and it would give him a couple extra days to get ready for Tuesday.

Good idea. Let him play in the minor league games to get his "game" requirements in for Ozzie and if he is ready to go on Sunday, that's fine, and if not he can play Tuesday.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
I dont understand why he would play in minor league games if he isnt making the trip. For the most part, playing in minor league games is to get you MORE ACTION, and that doesnt sound like the case with Pods.

I do understand holding him out Sunday, espeically against a tough LHP in CC.

Maybe they will do what they have already done a few times where they let him lead off every inning for 4 or 5 innings.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Ok, but if they want him to lead off 4 or 5 times for a few days, why wouldnt he be ready for Opening Night?

Its not that he wouldn't exactly be ready for opening night, its probably more about giving him the extra days since we are facing a strong lefty on Sunday night.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
According to the score, Pods will not make the trip to Atlanta and will stay back to play in some minor league games.  He may not play Sunday since we are facing Sabathia and it would give him a couple extra days to get ready for Tuesday.

If this is indeed the case, this is the precursor to him being retroactively added to the DL.

It's a good way to handle it. In the minor league games he can hit to keep his timing but not run to stress the leg. They can use a designated runner to jsut get at bats. I like the way they are handling it, rest as much as possible until it's time to go.

Too bad we have nothing to trade for Gaithright.  He would be great Pods insurance.

He has potential but he still has to show that he can hit at the major league level. He has a ton of speed but he doesn't draw many walks and strikes out a lot. And the Devil Rays are trying to rob a team for him, acting like he's the next Pierre / Podsednik.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
DId I miss something? Was there another update?

No, but according to the first post, there is a time machine in Arizona. After all, how does playing in "a few minor league games" give Scott a few extra days?

Keeping Scott out of big league game action allows them to put him on the DL retroactive to the last game he pitched played in a big league game. Since you have to be on the DL for 15 days, holding him out of big league games will allow them to be on the DL for only a week or so, effectively.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Its not that he wouldn't exactly be ready for opening night, its probably more about giving him the extra days since we are facing a strong lefty on Sunday night.

I agree, I dont care who we are facing.... if Pods is in fact ready to go, he should be in our line-up in the #1 slot.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
No, but according to the first post, there is a time machine in Arizona. After all, how does playing in "a few minor league games" give Scott a few extra days?

Keeping Scott out of big league game action allows them to put him on the DL retroactive to the last game he pitched in a big league game. Since you have to be on the DL for 15 days, holding him out of big league games will allow them to be on the DL for only a week or so, effectively.

Eh. That would still be the middle of the second week. Everything that I have read, could be something I missed obviously, said that it would only be a day or two of the regular season at most. And that was being really conservative. Additionally, if they let him play in the minor league games, why wouldn't they come let him play in the big league games? Oh well. We'll see on Sunday.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Additionally, if they let him play in the minor league games, why wouldn't they come let him play in the big league games? Oh well. We'll see on Sunday.

Well, Ozzie has said that he wants to see Pods play in a couple games before he deems him ready for the everyday line-up, so that part makes sense. I just don't see why you keep him back to play in the minors, why not bring him to Atlanta?? I'd say keeping him in Tuscon all but rules #22 out for Sunday.

Hopefully, Pods just needs to work this thing out of his muscles and its no biggie.

But I have my doubts. He has looked tenative on the basepaths this spring, and hasn't been able to shake this thing.

Pods being out for any length of time at the beginning of the season (or any other significant part of the season) scares me more than the soft bullpen right now.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Maybe they will do what they have already done a few times where they let him lead off every inning for 4 or 5 innings.

Looks like my guess was right. According to Scott, staying back to play in minor league games on both Fri and Sat will allow him to lead off every inning and to test his groin in a more controlled environment. He will mee the team in Chicago on Saturday night.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)

Keeping Scott out of big league game action allows them to put him on the DL retroactive to the last game he pitched played in a big league game. Since you have to be on the DL for 15 days, holding him out of big league games will allow them to be on the DL for only a week or so, effectively.

Read the first post again, the few days off would come by him not playing on Sunday and the team being off on Monday!

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Ruh-roh--don't get me started on a Juan Piere/Podsednik relative value rant!  I'll just say that I don't consider Pierre and Pods that useful of players.  Pierre can play CF passably, so he's a usefull player, but Pods plays LF...

Not very usefeul players? Yeah, there's no way you could win titles with those guys leading off for you. They're just not all that important.