Hafner smack

The Ginger Kid

Buehrle's not one to shy away...

TRIBE TALK: After already stating he thought Cleveland wouldn't be as good as it was last season, Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle was asked about the recent comments made to the Cleveland Plain Dealer by Indians DH Travis Hafner.

Hafner was asked about having to be on the field next Tuesday when the Sox receive their World Series rings, and said with a laugh that he would "probably be in the bathroom throwing up.''

"I know I'd want to see it if another team was getting a trophy,'' Buehrle said. "If he's taking it that much to heart, I guess he's that heartbroken about last year. What can you say?

"I know I'm not going to be worrying about where any of them are. I'm going to soak in the moment and enjoy it while I can.''

Plain Dealer article

And here's a good Q & A with Eric Wedge that spends most of the time talking about the Sox:

Wedge

I'm psyched these two are opening the season. It's going to be a great race in the central, but cleveland's high if they think their rotation can match up with the World Champion Chicago White Sox or the twinkies.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
If things were the other way around, I'd want our guys to say the same thing.  What's he supposed to say?..." I'll be on the top step of the dugout cheering my ass off"  Nothing wrong with haffner's comment at all.

I know if it was the Indians or Twins or Cubs getting a ring I'd be in the bathroom throwing up also. :puke

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
I'd have my face in the toilet too.

I'd expect retalitaion for the Haffner plunking.  Intentional or not, there will be pay back.  Thome better wear two elbow guards when facing the Indians.

Im pretty sure the Indians are upset from choking last year when they only needed 1 game to make the playoffs. I think its expected that there will be some harsh words and hit by pitches. This is sooo good for the home opener.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
I'd have my face in the toilet too.

I'd expect retalitaion for the Haffner plunking.  Intentional or not, there will be pay back.  Thome better wear two elbow guards when facing the Indians.

Eh, I doubt Thome would be the likely target of such retaliation. The fact that he's such a well-liked guy throughout the league, coupled with the facts that he was almost traded back to the Indians and that he played for them for so long, just seem to make him almost immune. Would anyone really want to hit Jim Thome. The guy's a saint. I'm sure they'd go after someone like Konerko, or even AJ.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Eh, I doubt Thome would be the likely target of such retaliation.  The fact that he's such a well-liked guy throughout the league, coupled with the facts that he was almost traded back to the Indians and that he played for them for so long, just seem to make him almost immune.  Would anyone really want to hit Jim Thome.  The guy's a saint.  I'm sure they'd go after someone like Konerko, or even AJ.

Good points, we'll see.

I don't expect it in this opening series, but late season, look for them to plunk whoever is carrying our offense at the time, like Haffner was doing for them....especially if the race is tight.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 07:03 AM)

Last year, the inning after Hafner was hit, the Tribe Pitcher got the first 2 outs then plunked Dye. As far as I'm concerned, that's as far as it should ever go. Someone hits you, you hit one of their guys, then it stops. Otherwise you wind up with brawls.

Oh, and a stolen base and a hit turned that plunking of Dye into a run.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
Im pretty sure the Indians are upset from choking last year when they only needed 1 game to make the playoffs.

Hell, they're probably still upset about choking away the '97 WS.

Remember how the Indians used to dominate us back in the '90s? Funny how that doesn't matter anymore. :lol:

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
lol.

Indians second longest ws drought to the cubs? Right? or am I wrong:?

Correct:

Last World Series win
                                Number of
                        Year      Years
Chicago Cubs             1908       97
Cleveland Indians        1948       57
San Francisco Giants     1954       51
Texas Rangers           NEVER       45
Houston Astros          NEVER       44
Milwaukee Brewers       NEVER       37
San Diego Padres        NEVER       37
Washington Nationals    NEVER       37