Hey Heads (Weather)

whitesoxfan101

I've been here since August and probably 10-15 other times in my life, and when I've been here there's been at least 3 tornados, as well as numerous tstorms. I'm convinced it's me.

They were straightline winds last night. It sucks cause it's cold now today, but living here you get used to this stuff.

I don't have the same effect on my hometown. One tornado in the past 40 years. Of course, that was an F5 in '68 that f***ed up the town beyond recognition. Apparently then no access was allowed into the town.

I lived in Ames for 5 years. As the meteorologists at ISU have pointed out, there are lots of "mini" tornado alleys. Small areas that tend to get hit, while others nearby do not.

One of those mini-alleys is a SW-NE line that starts on the western edge of Ames, and proceeds NE to cross between Ames and Story City. That nasty one that hit last fall followed that route, I believe.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I lived in Ames for 5 years.  As the meteorologists at ISU have pointed out, there are lots of "mini" tornado alleys.  Small areas that tend to get hit, while others nearby do not.

One of those mini-alleys is a SW-NE line that starts on the western edge of Ames, and proceeds NE to cross between Ames and Story City.  That nasty one that hit last fall followed that route, I believe.

They never told me this in 206. :P (My dad went here and told me damn near everyone takes Agron 206 for some reason).

The tornado during the Colorado football game tracked over western and northwestern Ames. The places that got f***ed up last night were in western Ames. However, the one the week of the Iowa game was right on campus, an F1.

NS, you and any others that are familiar with the campus, the one that went over campus started northwest of the College of Design, went over like MacKay Hall and Gilman Hall, and ended up in between Agronomy Hall and the tennis courts south of the Forker Building.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
They never told me this in 206.  :P (My dad went here and told me damn near everyone takes Agron 206 for some reason).

The tornado during the Colorado football game tracked over western and northwestern Ames. The places that got f***ed up last night were in western Ames. However, the one the week of the Iowa game was right on campus, an F1.

NS, you and any others that are familiar with the campus, the one that went over campus started northwest of the College of Design, went over like MacKay Hall and Gilman Hall, and ended up in between Agronomy Hall and the tennis courts south of the Forker Building.

Sounds about right. Like I said, the line goes from west of town to north of town, scraping the western and northwestern parts of town. Seems to be a pattern.

I didn't know about the one actually hit campus, though - news to me.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
Heh, the football team kicked some serious ass when tornados hit. Coincidence? I think not.

Anywho, here's the storm track for the second tornado last fall.

Hardin-Story-map.png

I'm kinda a tornadoy guy, so I find this stuff neat.

That line looks just about right for that alley.

Tornados are kewl. Scorpions were kewl yesterday. Tornados are kewl today.

:bang