Sources: Texans, Moulds close to deal

Sources: Texans, Moulds close to deal

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

The Houston Texans appear only days away from addressing a longtime priority, acquiring a veteran wide receiver to complement the skills of emerging star Andre Johnson, and of adding another proven target for beleaguered quarterback David Carr.

Sources confirmed that the Texans have reached an agreement in principle with Buffalo Bills wide receiver Eric Moulds on a four-year contract believed to be worth $14 million. The agreement, first reported by The Houston Chronicle, is said to include a $5 million signing bonus. The deal is believed to be similar to the four-year, $14 million contract that free agent Keyshawn Johnson signed with Carolina last week.

Before the Texans acquire Moulds, however, they must first strike a deal with Bills officials. Buffalo is said to be seeking a fourth-round choice in exchange for Moulds, who twice rejected overtures to readjust his contact so he could stay with the Bills. Houston is believed to have offered a fifth-round choice in the 2006 draft as compensation for the 10-year veteran.

Moulds, 32, is scheduled to arrive in Houston on Monday to visit with Texans coaches and officials. No deal will be consummated before that visit. Earlier in the free agency period, the Texans ardently courted David Givens of New England, but the Houston native signed with the Tennessee Titans.

There were some other suitors for Moulds, who last week was granted permission by the Bills to seek out trade possibilities, but none were as aggressive as the Texans. And many of the franchises cited as having interest in Moulds, notably the Philadelphia Eagles, never got involved in substantive discussions. Talks with the Eagles were initiated by Moulds' agent, and were relatively one-sided.

Under first-year head coach Gary Kubiak, whose offensive expertise is well documented, the Texans hope to upgrade a passing attack that statistically ranked 30th in the league in 2005. The Texans' passing game has never rated higher than No. 18 and was in the bottom four in the league in three of four seasons.

The addition of Moulds would provide Carr the most accomplished No. 2 receiver he has ever had, and would alleviate some of the pressure on Johnson, the team's best playmaker. Houston is expected to make Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush the top overall selection in next month's draft, and his presence as a threat out of the backfield should also aid the passing game.

A first-round choice in the 1996 draft, Moulds has 675 receptions for 9,096 yards and 48 touchdowns in 154 regular-season appearances. In his eight seasons as a starter with the Bills, the former Mississippi State star averaged 78.3 receptions, 1,065.4 yards and 5.8 touchdown catches.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2391714

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
good deal for the texans, johnson didnt do so hot last year and moulds is a solid second option

Johnson just hasnt been able to stay healthy. If the Texans had any semblence of an offensive line for the past 4 years then I am convinced they would have been much better than they appear. Think about how many times Carr has been sacked in his career, and then think if he had a chance to get off maybe half of those throws how much better he and the rest of the offense might be. It really is a travesty that it has never seriously been addressed, and it really is a tribute to David Carrs toughness that he has never been seriously injured.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
Johnson just hasnt been able to stay healthy.  If the Texans had any semblence of an offensive line for the past 4 years then I am convinced they would have been much better than they appear.  Think about how many times Carr has been sacked in his career, and then think if he had a chance to get off maybe half of those throws how much better he and the rest of the offense might be.  It really is a travesty that it has never seriously been addressed, and it really is a tribute to David Carrs toughness that he has never been seriously injured.

I know he hasnt been healthy and moulds hasnt had injury problems and should be the number 1 or 2 regardless, two good receivers should allow carr to find one of them downfield before the defensive line gets to him

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
I know he hasnt been healthy and moulds hasnt had injury problems and should be the number 1 or 2 regardless, two good receivers should allow carr to find one of them downfield before the defensive line gets to him

As long as the do the right thing and trade out of the #1 spot and get D'Brick they should be able to turn the ship around fast..

I am praying they dont take Bush

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
As long as the do the right thing and trade out of the #1 spot and get D'Brick they should be able to turn the ship around fast..

I am praying they dont take Bush

If someone offered them the #2 and #3 picks, I think they'd still probably take Bush.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
If someone offered them the #2 and #3 picks, I think they'd still probably take Bush.

Texans probably would still draft him.

I just dont see the need for a running back, they have davis and wells who are consistent, the smart thing would be to trade down and get dbrick, but with the number one pick they will most likely take bush. Who knows maybe they have some offensive linemen in mind for their secound round pick.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)

Why, they dont even need Bush..

Furthermore, he is not going to be the superstar player everyone thinks he is.. He cant run between the tackles, I think he measured in at the pro day at like 5'11 206, something like that..

With the Texans offensive line, he will get hammered.. DD however has gained over 1,000 yards every year hes played.. He is also a very good reciever out of the backfield.. Its stupid to take another RB and pay him #1 money when you are perfectly fine at the RB position..

OLine is their biggest need by far