Liriano DUI

Balta1701

Not going to gloat...just going to post...

Minnesota Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano was arrested on a drunken driving charge when he was stopped for allegedly speeding on a southwest Florida road, authorities said Friday.

Liriano, 22, was stopped while going 56 mph in a 35 mph zone and drifting in between lanes in his Lincoln Navigator early Thursday, Cape Coral police spokesman Angelo Bitsis said.

Liriano registered a .133 blood-alcohol level on a breath test, Bitsis said. Florida's unlawful blood-alcohol level for drivers is 0.08.

Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Liriano still could begin the season with the club, but that the player would return to Cape Coral for his required court date, which has yet to be determined.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
"Johan Jr." needs to realize that going more than 20 MPH over the limit after being overserved is not a good idea.

I think he needs to realize that getting into the driver's seat of a car after being served is not a good idea in the first place. Hell, if you were sitting on the cusp of a potentially $100 million plus career...would you want to risk flipping the car over and ending your career right there?

Dumb move but a common one. 22 year olds make mistakes and he's lucky no one got hurt. People shouldn't be defined by their mistakes, just how they handle them. If he learns his lesson and doesn't do it again (unlike a guy like Furcal or Leonard Little who got multiples) then he's cool in my book. Plus my fantasy team needs the strikeouts so he should get his act together!

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
i say lock him up and throw away the key.

:huh:

.133 is a damn good buzz, but it doesn't qualify as *drunk* in the vast vast vast vast vast majority of cases. Remember, the old limit used to be .100.

"Lock him up and throw away the key" LOL. Was he beating his wife and molesting his children as well? Give me a break, dude. If he cleared .200 like a whole gang of 85 Bears, then maybe I could see your point, but he wasn't anywhere close to that.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)

.133 is a damn good buzz, but it doesn't qualify as *drunk* in the vast vast vast vast vast majority of cases.  Remember, the old limit used to be .100. 

"Lock him up and throw away the key" LOL.  Was he beating his wife and molesting his children as well?  Give me a break, dude.  If he cleared .200 like a whole gang of 85 Bears, then maybe I could see your point, but he wasn't anywhere close to that.

He's the bigtime stud prospect of a division rival, "lock him up and throw away the key" more than likely comes from a White Sox fan's desire to have a possible future stud of the Twins be ineligible to play for an extended period of time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
He's the bigtime stud prospect of a division rival, "lock him up and throw away the key" more than likely comes from a White Sox fan's desire to have a possible future stud of the Twins be ineligible to play for an extended period of time.

Those are exactly my sentiments. I love watching the kid pitch, but spite Sabean every day for trading him from the National League.

What I wouldn't do for Williams to trade for a Lirano, or draft a pitcher with even half his talent....

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Those are exactly my sentiments. I love watching the kid pitch, but spite Sabean every day for trading him from the National League.

What I wouldn't do for Williams to trade for a Lirano, or draft a pitcher with even half his talent....

Why are you so obsessed with minor leaguers? Who cares? We won the damn title and have a near $100 million payroll. Oh yeah, we have the best starting 5 in the HISTORY OF BASEBALL (remember, 5 man rotations don't go back that long ago. :gosox3: )

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
Why are you so obsessed with minor leaguers?  Who cares?  We won the damn title and have a near $100 million payroll.  Oh yeah, we have the best starting 5 in the HISTORY OF BASEBALL  (remember, 5 man rotations don't go back that long ago.  :gosox3: )

Some people question if we have the best 5 man starting rotation this season(oakland, Twins, Angels) and your saying in history.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:05 AM)
Some people question if we have the best 5 man starting rotation this season(oakland, Twins, Angels) and your saying in history.

I haven't heard anyone say the Twins (Loshe? Baker instead of the drunk Liriano,) or Angels, but I have heard of Oakland having the best pitching staff because they go 7 deep (but Loaiza and Saarloos arecertainly no Javy Vazquez.)

Here are some of the best:

1998 Braves:

Maddux: 18-9, 2.22 ERA, 251 innings

Glavine: 20-6, 2.47 ERA, 229.1 innings

Neagle: 16-11, 3.55 ERA, 210.1 innings

Millwood: 17-8, 4.08 ERA, 174.1 innings

Smoltz: 17-3, 2.90 ERA, 167.2 innings

1998 Yankees:

Pettite: 16-11, 4.24 ERA, 216.1 innings

Irabu: 13-9, 4.06 ERA, 173 innings

Hernandez: 12-4, 3.13 ERA, 114 innings

Wells: 18-4, 3.49 ERA, 214.2 innings

Cone: 20-7, 3.55 ERA, 207.2 innings

2003 Mariners:

Garcia: 12-14, 4.51 ERA, 201.1 innings

Moyer: 21-7, 3.27 ERA, 215 innings

Franklin: 11-13, 3.57 ERA, 212 innings

Meche: 15-13, 4.59 ERA, 186.1 innings

Pinero: 16-11, 3.78 ERA, 211.2 innings

That one may surprise you, but IIRC, they were the first five man rotation to not miss a start in a season. (Look at the innings.) I haven't checked ALL of the record books, but I think it's safe to say that no team has ever had a 5 man rotation with every guy going 200+ innings, let alone 200+ innings with everybody having an ERA under 4. :gosox1:

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)

.133 is a damn good buzz, but it doesn't qualify as *drunk* in the vast vast vast vast vast majority of cases.  Remember, the old limit used to be .100. 

What are you talking about? The limit is .08, not .100. And even if it was .100, the kid cleared that too. He is a qualified drunk in this case, no matter what way you look at it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
but I think it's safe to say that no team has ever had a 5 man rotation with every guy going 200+ innings, let alone 200+ innings with everybody having an ERA under 4:gosox1:

I think its safe to say you won't see that happen this year either.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Its not an excuse because he makes more money than you or I but he actually doesn't make that much money for an athlete

Still over $350k, correct? Either way, I stand by my :bang assertion.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
What are you talking about?  The limit is .08, not .100.  And even if it was .100, the kid cleared that too.  He is a qualified drunk in this case, no matter what way you look at it.

Here's what I originally said:

.133 is a damn good buzz, but it doesn't qualify as *drunk* in the vast vast vast vast vast majority of cases. Remember, the old limit used to be .100.

Hmmm, you must have missed that part of my post. :D

I can't say that I'm surprised, though.

And when Abe said 'Lock him up and throw away the key", I don't think it was due to the fact that Liriano is an up-and-coming pitcher on the Twins. Nice angle, but I ain't buying that for a minute. IMO dude is just another hardcore conservative. I hope that I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 07:41 AM)
That one may surprise you, but IIRC, they were the first five man rotation to not miss a start in a season. (Look at the innings.)  I haven't checked ALL of the record books, but I think it's safe to say that no team has ever had a 5 man rotation with every guy going 200+ innings, let alone 200+ innings with everybody having an ERA under 4.  :gosox1:

It has actually happened 3 times in the modern era:

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
Here's what I originally said:

Hmmm, you must have missed that part of my post.  :D

I can't say that I'm surprised, though.

No, I didnt miss anything, in fact the exact quote you just used is what I quoted. You said that the old limit used to be .100, as if that actually applied now. It doesnt. You also said that .133 is a damn good buzz and doesnt qualify as drunk in a vast vast vast vast vast majority of cases. Which cases are these? Do some judges like to say "Remember, the old limit used to be .100, so actually you didnt do so bad."? No. Who cares what the old limit was, it doesnt apply. He was drunk, if the limit was .08 or if it was the old limit of .100. Im not the one missing something here, but that doesnt surprise me.

And when Abe said 'Lock him up and throw away the key", I don't think it was due to the fact that Liriano is an up-and-coming pitcher on the Twins.  Nice angle, but I ain't buying that for a minute.  IMO dude is just another hardcore conservative.  I hope that I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

equally as hilarious. No no no, Abefroman isnt joking about a good pitcher being put in jail, he is a hardcore conservative. Whatever.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
And when Abe said 'Lock him up and throw away the key", I don't think it was due to the fact that Liriano is an up-and-coming pitcher on the Twins.  Nice angle, but I ain't buying that for a minute.  IMO dude is just another hardcore conservative.  I hope that I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Are you kidding?