Ozuna, Mackowiak can fill void

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Backup options in left

Ozuna, Mackowiak can fill void; Iguchi to stay near top

By Jon Cooper / Special to MLB.com

ATLANTA -- Even though starting left fielder Scott Podsednik didn't accompany the White Sox to Atlanta for their two-game exhibition series with the Braves, manager Ozzie Guillen was far from worried -- about Podsednik or his replacements.

Podsednik, nursing a sore left groin, stayed behind in Tucson to participate in a Minor League game, where he went 3-for-6. His injury has temporarily opened the door for Pablo Ozuna and offseason acquisition Rob Mackowiak.

The 31-year-old Ozuna, who hit .276 with 14 stolen bases in 70 games for the White Sox last season, hit a solid .310 this spring and provides speed in the leadoff spot, where he batted Friday night.

"It feels good to get the chance to play left field and an opportunity to show what I can do," he said. "Scott is a big part of the team and the leadoff guy. He is one of the biggest bats in the lineup. Until [Podsednik] is 100 percent ready to play, I'll just do my job, taking pitches and trying to get on base for the guys."

For the 29-year-old Mackowiak, getting the opportunity to play left field for the White Sox is a dream come true.

"This is my first time with the White Sox," said the Oak Lawn, Ill., native. "They're my hometown team. It's something I've looked foward to for a long time."

Mackowiak, who played the first four years of his career in Pittsburgh, is looking forward to being in a winning situation, but also is realistic about Podsednik's importance.

"We need Scott in our lineup, he's an important piece to our team and we'd rather have him healthy and be out there," he said. "But hopefully we can pick up the slack and try to help the team win."

Guillen was upbeat when asked about Podsednik's condition.

"I talked to [head trainer Herm Schneider], he text-messaged me and said [Podsednik's] ready to go," said Guillen. "But besides that we have a Plan B. It's pretty good news. We're going to see how he feels, but he'll come back to play and he'll lead off."

Guillen felt reasonably secure that Podsednik would be back when the season opens Sunday night and that he would be in the lineup despite the expected less-than-ideal baseball weather.

Guillen did say that he might keep a closer eye on Podsednik during the season, however, remembering how badly he slumped in August, when he hit only .211.

"Last year, this kid played real hard the first half. Then the second half, collapsed a little bit," said Guillen. "But right now, we have Mackowiak there, Pablo is playing there real well. The depth we have on the bench, I have confidence in those players to play any time."

If it ain't broke: It looks like second baseman Tadahito Iguchi has found a home. The experiment of Iguchi hitting in the seventh spot of the lineup is over.

"Iguchi is going to bat second," declared Guillen. "I'm going to leave him as the second hitter. He's swinging the bat a lot better when we put him there. It worked for us last year and it worked for us in Spring Training. Now, I've made the decision to go back to him as second hitter.

"He's going to pretty much be in that spot because I don't want him to be up and down, up and down," he continued. "It's better off if I leave the kid where he is. I'm going to move [Joe] Crede up to seventh, because he's swinging pretty good and I'm gonna put [Juan] Uribe in the eighth spot."

On deck: The White Sox finish the 2006 exhibition season with a 12:05 p.m. CT start on Saturday. Jon Garland takes the ball for the White Sox, while Jorge Sosa will start for Atlanta.

With Pods out for Game 1, we are not looking too bad. Ozuna is actually one of our best hitters vs Sabathia. Last year he was 3 for 7 with a 2B and SB against Sabathia, and was 6 for 10 in games when Sabathia started, leading off both games.

For Game 2, Ozuna also faced Cliff Lee last year going 1 for 3 with a run scored in that game.

So give Pods some rest and bring him back when he is 100%.

I'm going to move [Joe] Crede up to seventh, because he's swinging pretty good and I'm gonna put [Juan] Uribe in the eighth spot."

So it is going to be:

1. Pods/Mack/Ozuna

2. Iguchi

3. Thome

4. Konerko

5. Dye

6. Pierzynski

7. Crede

8. Uribe

9. Anderson

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
So give Pods some rest and bring him in when he is 100%.

Completely agree. For the short term Pablo and Mack are fine leading off but we need a fully healthy pods to be successful and there is no reason to rush him back. Let him take his time and get to 100 percent before we put him in the lineup.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
Completely agree.  For the short term Pablo and Mack are fine leading off but we need a fully healthy pods to be successful and there is no reason to rush him back.  Let him take his time and get to 100 percent before we put him in the lineup.

Yep, between Ozuna and Mack, to include the way they have hit this Spring, there won't be as much of a drop off compared to last year (Timo) when Pods is not in the lineup. Which puts less pressure on the Sox and Pods to come back too early and get reinjured.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
Well,  I give Ozzie props for atleast giving Gooch a chance to show what he can do lower in the order.  But it's clear as day that Tadahito is better served hitting second.

So how long do they think Pods is gonna be out?

I think he'll start Sunday night.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
Well,  I give Ozzie props for atleast giving Gooch a chance to show what he can do lower in the order.  But it's clear as day that Tadahito is better served hitting second.

So how long do they think Pods is gonna be out?

Ozuna did well vs Sabathia last year, and Pods didn't even get an AB vs him, so it may be better just to wait until Tuesday and give him 2 more days of rest.

Especially since Ozuna has looked pretty good at the plate this ST.

Pods was 2 for 3 vs Cliff Lee last year.

However, if Pods feels 100%, there is no reason not to put him out there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
I think he'll start Sunday night.

Unless he feels something pop again tomorrow, he'll be running out as Brian Johnson tells us how he was caught in the middle of a railroad track and he knew there was no turning back...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:57 AM)
the first 2 Cleveland pitchers are both tough lefties so I really wouldnt mind all that much if Pods didnt start until game 3.....

Sabathia and Lee were good last year, but both have looked pretty bad this spring:

Indians on the mound: In his final spring start, lefty Cliff Lee gave up six earned runs on 10 hits with one walk and four strikeouts. Lee also gave up two homers.

C.C. Sabathia shrugged off the three long homers he gave up in the Cleveland Indians' 8-3 loss to the Washington Nationals on Tuesday night, pronouncing himself on track to start opening day.  Sabathia (0-2, 8.35 earned-run average) reached 100 pitches and gave up six runs - five earned - and five hits, three walks, in six innings.

W L IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO ERA WHIP

Lee 2 2 24.0 34 18 17 6 2 5 13 6.38 1.63

Sabathia 0 2 18.1 24 23 17 3 1 10 22 8.35 1.85

Edited by RME JICO

It seems everytime I pay attention, Ozuna has some problems in LF. Last night he did, I remember that game in Boston last year. I don't have the games, but I know he had issues in LF in other spring games. Not that Pods is a gold glover by trade, but outfield is Pods natural position. Ozuna is an infielder. Ozuna in LF makes me nervous, though not as nervous as Jose Valentin in the OF :o