White Sox bullpen a well-kept secret

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox bullpen a well-kept secret

Starters get the spotlight, but 'pen is full of talent as well

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

A few people who watched the White Sox cruise past the Angels in five games during the 2005 American League Championship Series probably believe the South Siders didn't need a bullpen in order to succeed.

After four straight complete games from the White Sox starting rotation, the Angels still might be wondering if Ozzie Guillen's squad has a relief corps. Aside from Neal Cotts working for one-third of an inning, the second line of pitching spent all its time in the dugout or out beyond the action.

They served as baseball's equivalent of the Maytag repairman, the loneliest pitchers in the world. But that was merely one five-game stretch. It's pure foolishness to imagine a championship team without a solid bullpen, and it's equally improbable to picture the White Sox celebrating another title without a little relief.

Of the very few questions facing the White Sox as 2006 approaches, ranging from handling possible injury problems to forging a bond much like the special one from last year, the bullpen is the only concrete on-field issue. The White Sox certainly don't enter with a weak bullpen, as general manager Ken Williams and Guillen have constructed this team around pitching.

But the current group would be better defined as a melding of new faces, in search of its own identity.

Left-hander Damaso Marte and right-hander Luis Vizcaino are both gone from the end of last season, having moved on to other teams via trade. Dustin Hermanson's frustrating back problem cropped up again with his first Cactus League appearance, and the right-hander will start 2006 on the disabled list. Hermanson probably won't be able to contribute until June or July, at the earliest, and possibly not at all.

So, what do these changes leave pitching coach Don Cooper to develop?

Right-hander Cliff Politte (2.00 ERA in 68 games) and the left-hander Cotts (1.94 ERA in 69 games) are coming off career seasons, while Bobby Jenks tries not to go from improbable hero to goat in the course of five months as closer. Brandon McCarthy, who would be the second or third starter in most rotations, begins his first full season out of the bullpen, while left-hander Matt Thornton comes over from Seattle with the hope that his oftentimes erratic control will soon match his high level of raw talent.

Then, there's Boone Logan, the 21-year-old left-hander who began Spring Training on the back fields with the rest of the Minor Leaguers. In the course of three weeks, he worked his way onto the Major League roster.

Individually, there are more than a few questions, but there's also an ample helping of potential. How this group performs as a unit, though, is the real goal to be achieved.

"I think guys are starting to figure it out," said White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski of the bullpen. "You need to find roles, accept them and run with it."

"It's not the complete backbone of the team," Jenks added of the bullpen. "But it is pretty crucial to the second half of almost every game."

When a team has a starting rotation comprised of Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez, oftentimes relief is only needed for an inning or two. This quintet not only strives to work six or seven innings per start, but expects to pitch that bare minimum of innings. Yet, even allowing one or two runs over seven innings doesn't automatically guarantee success.

Cooper likes to point to a team's record when a starter takes the mound as a true definition of a pitcher's season. Of course, that team record also involves a bullpen protecting a one-run advantage, or on the rare occasion the lead disappears in the late innings, it involves the bullpen keeping the game close or manageable.

"It's an attitude we have to uphold," Cotts said. "We just need to throw strikes and keep the game where it's at. You all try to pick up each other and help each other to understand that there will be rough outings here and there, but you have to get back on the mound the next day and throw it over the plate."

"Having that great starting rotation does help," Jenks added. "It's especially true in the second half of the season, the dog days of August. Once you get to those days, having a fresh bullpen is huge."

The starters and relievers worked in perfect harmony last year, with the White Sox winning 21 of Contreras' starts and 20 each for Buehrle, Garland and Garcia. It was a bullpen with clearly defined roles by the end, but it took a little maneuvering to get there.

This year's group looks to be the same way. Jenks believes his fastball will be up to its 97-98 mph status by April 2, or shortly thereafter, but he also will have help from Politte and Cotts in the late innings. Logan, Thornton and McCarthy can work at the end or in the middle, depending on the situation, with the plan for Logan to usually face one or two batters.

If these roles provide the right fit, the White Sox should be in serious contention to repeat. Cooper has very few doubts where this revamped unit is concerned.

"I'm going to be confident with the 11 guys when we leave [Arizona]," Cooper said. "I don't go into a season worrying. We are going to leave with 11 guys and go do battle."

"Our bullpen isn't as important as it will be with other teams, just because we have guys that can stay healthy and take up seven or eight innings per game," McCarthy added. "But not many teams have gone in with a weak bullpen and still gone to the World Series."

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Call me crazy,  but I think the 'pen has a chance to be better than last year.  A lot will have to go right,  of course.

It has the potential to be but it also has the potential to completely blow up. There are a lot of if's in the pen but hey..the whole team was full of if's going into last season and that worked out decent I guess.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
It has the potential to be but it also has the potential to completely blow up.  There are a lot of if's in the pen but hey..the whole team was full of if's going into last season and that worked out decent I guess.

I agree. I'm banking on Coop' being able to turn Thornton around. It looks as if he's already having an impact on him. And Logan, atleast for now, appears to be for real. I'm not worried about the other guys.

The starting rotation is going to take a lot of pressure off the bullpen, and so will the offense. I don't expect as many close games. The Sox might give up a few more runs this year, but they are going to score a helluva lot more as well.

The bullpen is not going to have to pitch near perfect baseball like they did last year (Cotts, Hermie, and Politte), which will take some of the pressure off the new guys.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
I agree.  I'm banking on Coop' being able to turn Thornton around.  It looks as if he's already having an impact on him.  And Logan,  atleast for now,  appears to be for real.  I'm not worried about the other guys.

If he does, the most important thing for the short - term future of this ballclub is to get Don Cooper locked up to a new long - term deal. IIRC, his deal runs out at the end of 2006, and there always is the possibility of him returning to the Yanks. But hopefully KW is already working on that extension as we speak.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:47 AM)
If he does, the most important thing for the short - term future of this ballclub is to get Don Cooper locked up to a new long - term deal. IIRC, his deal runs out at the end of 2006, and there always is the possibility of him returning to the Yanks. But hopefully KW is already working on that extension as we speak.

Kenny said that he doesn't even make the trade for Thornton without Cooper's approval. That says A LOT right there. Coop's not going anywhere.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
Kenny said that he doesn't even make the trade for Thornton without Cooper's approval.  That says A LOT right there.  Coop's not going anywhere.

Prediction: By the end of the year, the rest of the AL will be scared when they see Thornton entering a game. And not just because they think they'll be hit in the head.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
Prediction:  By the end of the year, the rest of the AL will be scared when they see Thornton entering a game.  And not just because they think they'll be hit in the head.

Include the NL in that prediction since he will probably get some innings during Interleague.

A caveat to that prediction is that Seattle will be kicking themselves in the a55 for letting Thornton go while they watch him shred thru lineups.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
Include the NL in that prediction since he will probably get some innings during Interleague.

A caveat to that prediction is that Seattle will be kicking themselves in the a55 for letting Thornton go while they watch him shred thru lineups.

Seattle also has Carl Everett at DH...which means they may very well also have a use for Borchard too. He at least put up decent numbers on the spring with us, even if he didn't with the M's. If he gets a decent number of at bats, he'll make them moderately happy. I think this will be one of those trades both teams are happy with.