Podsednik expected to start season opener

RME JICO

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox01.html

Podsednik expected to start in season opener Sunday

April 1, 2006

ATLANTA -- Unless Scott Podsednik's hard-luck spring takes another turn for the worse this afternoon, the White Sox expect to have their leadoff hitter atop the starting lineup when they open the regular season Sunday night.

Podsednik, who has been slowed this spring with first a sore left shoulder and now a sore adductor, went 3-for-6 as a designated hitter in a minor-league game Friday afternoon, and reported afterward that he felt good.

''He said everything went well,'' head trainer Herm Schneider said. ''He'll crank it up even more [today] and be ready to go on Sunday.''

Cranking it up will mean Podsednik will play in the outfield, testing the injury even further.

''Besides that, we've got a Plan B,'' Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''We're always prepared, just in case he couldn't make it. But that's pretty good news.''

Guillen's Plan B was having reserves Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackowiak split time in left field and take Podsednik's spot in the lineup. Considering Ozuna hit .310 in Cactus League play, while Mackowiak hit .317, it won't exactly be slumming without Podsednik.

But even if Podsednik does make the start against the Indians in the opener, it won't change Guillen's plans for the speedy left-handed hitter. After watching Podsednik run on fumes during the second half of the 2005 season, Guillen will do everything he can to limit his workload in the early part of the season.

''Last year, he played real hard the first half,'' Guillen said. ''Then all of a sudden in the second half he collapsed a little bit. Right now we have Mackowiak there, we have Pablo playing there real well. I have confidence because of the depth we have on the bench.''

SECOND TO NONE: The experiment officially ended on Friday.

Guillen and his staff had a meeting in the afternoon and decided that Tadahito Iguchi will stay in the No. 2 spot of the order.

''I'm going to leave him there in the second spot,'' Guillen said. ''I think he's swinging the bat a lot better when we put him there. I'm not going to stop doing something that worked for us last year, worked in spring training.''

Guillen entered camp with the idea of moving Iguchi to the sixth spot, freeing him up to use more of his power and basestealing abilities. After Iguchi struggled, Guillen moved him back to the No. 2 spot last week to see if it would help. He saw enough of a spark from the second-year player to now leave him there.

BOTTOM FEEDERS: As far as the bottom of the order, Guillen will start the year with A.J. Pierzynski hitting sixth, Joe Crede seventh, Juan Uribe eighth and Brian Anderson ninth.

He did say that he will move those four around as the year goes on, depending on who is hot and matchups.

MEETING TIME: With a media frenzy expected, as well as the excitement of raising the World Series championship banner on Sunday night, Guillen decided to hold his annual ''beginning of the year speech'' on Friday.

''We had a meeting where I let them know we can't get caught up in all the things off the field the next couple of days,'' Guillen said. ''We've got a job to do, and we've got to concentrate on the game.

''A lot of people have been looking forward to this for so many years. I played with the White Sox for a lot of years and this is going to be the biggest Opening Day we've ever had for so long.''