Sox Sign Jose Contreras to 3 Year Deal

G&T

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Yeah, not to mention his long time pitching tutor was caught selling roids.

Exactly, why do u think he cant seem to get healthy, him and wood

except for that line drive the the arm/shoulder

that was pretty bad

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
Help me settle a debate.

Garland and Contreras were both signed this off season.  What's the soonest either could be traded?

Ask Bronson Arroyo. :D

Another good move here by KW, although you feel a little for Brandon McCarthy right now, who's probably not going to be a pernament fixture in this rotation for a little while.

If Contreras performs as he did in the 2nd half of 05, it's a great deal. If he doesn't, we're stuck with a long - term deal. I'm confident the former will happen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Ask Bronson Arroyo.  :D

Another good move here by KW, although you feel a little for Brandon McCarthy right now, who's probably not going to be a pernament fixture in this rotation for a little while.

If Contreras performs as he did in the 2nd half of 05, it's a great deal. If he doesn't, we're stuck with a long - term deal. I'm confident the former will happen.

Yeah, if he doesn't perform we're stuck with his deal, but let's think about this; right now, a guy like Loaiza is being paid $7 mil a year or so to be a 4th or 5th starter, Vazquez is making several million more a year than Jose...even if Jose does struggle some, he's not being paid much more than other veteran pitchers, and if he succeeds...he's a damn bargain.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Righty Contreras reups with White Sox

Three-year deal includes no-trade clause in '07

By Jon Cooper / Special to MLB.com

ATLANTA -- Chicago is Jose Contreras' kind of town.

And it will be his home through at least 2009.

Prior to taking the field for their Spring Training finale against the Atlanta Braves on Saturday, the White Sox announced the signing of the veteran right-hander to a three-year, $29 million contract extension.

"It's been a long process," said general manager Ken Williams. "We had a number in mind, we had a length, a term in mind. Basically, it was whether Jose and his agent were going to understand our position enough to want to come back at those numbers."

There is no option at the end of the deal, which does include a no-trade clause for 2007.

Everything about the deal suits Contreras, especially the timing of it.

"I'm happy that I'm going to stay here for a little while and stay with this team," he said through third-base coach Joey Cora. "I wanted to get something done before the season started so I could just focus on the season and get rid of any trade rumors.

"This is the team that gave me the confidence and the opportunity to perform," he added. "I'm happy here and my family's happy here."

The 34-year-old Contreras went 15-7 with a 3.61 ERA in 2005, his first full season with the team, and set career bests for wins (15), starts (32), innings pitched (204 2/3) and strikeouts (154). His 11 second-half victories tied for the Major League lead with Houston's Andy Pettitte.

Contreras was acquired from the New York Yankees for Esteban Loiaiza on July 31, 2004.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
If the Sox offered him a contract through 2015 with all garuanteed money and something like $12M per year he'd be a fool to pass it up. It would also be one of the dumbest moves any team has ever made.

On the other hand...if the price of pitching keeps going up...(yeah you're right I know, that's ridiculous length, that'd be like a $100 million plus deal...but still, getting Buehrle at only $12 million a year right now would be pretty good IMO, and in 10 years, that'll look like a bargain as he's closing in on 300.)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
On the other hand...if the price of pitching keeps going up...(yeah you're right I know, that's ridiculous length, that'd be like a $100 million plus deal...but still, getting Buehrle at only $12 million a year right now would be pretty good IMO, and in 10 years, that'll look like a bargain as he's closing in on 300.)

or when he's sitting at home with a f***ed rotator cuff. I know you are aware of this but I feel it needs to be said for some of the others that may be reading this, I'd never give a SP anything more than 4 years tops. The position is far too demanding and pitchers are incredibly prone to injury. Kevin Brown and Mike Hampton, the only 2 names you need to know.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
25 homers and 90 plus RBI as a 25 year old third baseman. Those are good numbers. He's young but since he doesn't have a mullet he is not thought of well here. Watch Blalock surprise many of you. Its moot now that it seems that KW will just deal one of the starters for a reliever

So you are saying he had good power numbers, not good overall numbers (like your first post said). Good power numbers != good overall numbers.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
So you are saying he had good power numbers, not good overall numbers (like your first post said).  Good power numbers != good overall numbers.

Numbers lie.. its when you get them key hits or outs. Some guys just perform under pressure more than others.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Numbers lie..  its when you get them key hits or outs. Some guys just perform under pressure more than others.

And this might be true (or false, but I won't argue it right now), but his original post said that despite sucking on the road, Blalock still had good overall numbers last year. Whether or not they lie is a different question, but they were not good overall numbers.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
25 homers and 90 plus RBI as a 25 year old third baseman. Those are good numbers. He's young but since he doesn't have a mullet he is not thought of well here. Watch Blalock surprise many of you. Its moot now that it seems that KW will just deal one of the starters for a reliever

Ignoring the mullet thing -- :huh -- he wasn't just bad last year, he was much worse than in the previous two years, which at least isn't promising. He's never been good on the road, and Arlington is a particularly happy place for lhb. I actually think it's fun to watch him play, maybe b/c I keep thinking I'm about to see a replay of the ASG from a couple years back. But last year was pretty dismal. I mean, he was hitting cleanup in a lineup with Young and Teixeira ahead of him, much of it in a park that's great for lefties, and he had 650 abs. Why should I be impressed with 90 rbi, in that situation?

I was very surprised to hear the news of Contreras' signing several hours ago. Personally, I assumed he'd be traded before the season began (obviously not feasible at this moment), shipped midseason for whichever components of our club needed an upgrade, or would merely continue his contract through 06' and seek alternative options as a free agent.

29mil/3yrs is an appropriate amount within the current pitching market for a starter possessing his talent. I'm not particularly satisfied with the price, but then again, he's certaintly proven his worth to this organization.

I wouldn't count on McCarthy going anywhere, either. Not many pitchers could equal his value when you add together proven MLB success (albeit limited--he's shown ability), salary, and projection as a front-line starter. Other organizations eyeing McCarthy should forget dangling relief pitchers or closers--he's still more valuable than ANY available. I'm serious about that. Even pre-2005 Gagne wouldn't have swayed my opinion. If I'm Williams, I'm beginning proposals with , "You want McCarthy, give me a proven veteran starter."

Even as a walking telephone poll he's excelled--imagine a few MPH on his fastball. I just hope this bullpen destination isn't more than a 2006 experiment. I'd rather trade Garcia next offseason then hold McCarthy down in the bullpen.

Williams goal, IMO, is not to be held hostage with an exceedingly ludicrous market. We would have been fine without Contrereas' 07 status assured, but now with him signed for three years, we're allowed flexibility. Helps create leverage when you have several quality SP's signed for extended contracts.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I see Garcia or Contreras as odd men out, but not until past this year. Garland would be the number one odd man out, in my view, if he significantly falls off this year, but I highly doubt that. The kid's for real.

I think McCarthy might have to spend a year or two more primarily in the Pen. Then replace Garcia.

I just read 10+ pages of new posts in this thread, so bear with me a bit. First, I don't see anyway in hell KW trades BMac unless he's made an offer he can't refuse ... like Pujols or something ridiculous like that. I believe the plan with Brandon is to bring him along like they did with Buehrle and let him get his feet wet in the bullpen this year, then move him into the rotation in '07. Who he replaces in the rotation will be determined by what happens this year and what kind of offers are made. I'd be willing to bet that it won't be Buehrle that's moved. It will be one of the 4 RHP.

Someone stated that Jose Contreras was a perrenial Cy Young candidate. Since when?

I guess I like this signing due the flexibility it offers and elimination of questions about his contract status. But at the same time, while Contreras looks to have turned the corner, he's not been the model of consistancy over his career. When will his age (34?) and all those Cuban innings catch up with him. There are definite question marks here that makes this signing a gamble in every sense of the word.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Even if Contreras isnt as good as last season.... I think he can keep his era in the high 3's low 4's which would give him still good trade value going into the off-season.

He has a no-trade clause for the first year of his contract, meaning that unless he waives it, he cannot be traded until the end of 2007 (I believe at least).

Edited by Felix

He has a no-trade clause for the first year of his contract, meaning that unless he waives it, he cannot be traded until the end of 2007 (I believe at least).

Since his extension doesn't start until 2007, doesn't that mean that the Sox can trade Contreras at any point during this season?

I am a little suprised by the desire to trade contreras on these boards. In my opinion, he has without a doubt the best raw stuff of anyone on our starting staff. His only limitation had been the head games he played in his mind, but Coop righted the ship last year and now he is utulizing his vast potential. He was our ace when it came down to the playoffs last year and I predict will remain our ace for quite some time. I personally expect Garland to be the odd man out at the end of the year when he doesnt live up to last years performance, and makes room for BMac in the rotation.

QUOTE(allupons @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
I am a little suprised by the desire to trade contreras on these boards. In my opinion, he has without a doubt the best raw stuff of anyone on our starting staff. His only limitation had been the head games he played in his mind, but Coop righted the ship last year and now he is utulizing his vast potential. He was our ace when it came down to the playoffs last year and I predict will remain our ace for quite some time. I personally expect Garland to be the odd man out at the end of the year when he doesnt live up to last years performance, and makes room for BMac in the rotation.

Welcome. :cheers

QUOTE(allupons @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)

Welcome to the board.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
Since his extension doesn't start until 2007, doesn't that mean that the Sox can trade Contreras at any point during this season?

Thats what I wasn't sure about, so I don't really know.