Sox Sign Jose Contreras to 3 Year Deal

G&T

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
I take issue with your first point, contreras had a tough month but his run support for the first half was absolutely terrible, i don't htink we scored more than three runs in a bunch of his starts and he kept getting no decisions, he threw a masterful game against the indians last year, left with a 5-2 lead, and shingo gave up 3 hrs in the ninth! His ERA was pretty damn good from april-may and much more deserving than his record showed.

You're the man, bmags. :notworthy

I get so annoyed when people act like Jose didn't start pitching until July.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
But we didn't overpay.  Overpaying is what the Yankees did with Pavano and Wright.  Overpaying is what the Red Sox did with Clement.  Overpaying is what the Blue Jays did with Burnett.  Considering the current market,  we got Jose at a bargain price.

I never said we overpaid. You stated that if we didn't sign Count up now and if he had another year like 2005, he would command a bunch of money in FA, so if we wanted to resign him when he was a FA, we would be forced to overpay similar to how we dealt with Paulie.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
I never said we overpaid.  You stated that if we didn't sign Count up now and if he had another year like 2005, he would command a bunch of money in FA, so if we wanted to resign him when he was a FA, we would be forced to overpay similar to how we dealt with Paulie.

And that's why I'm glad we got him signed now. I know some question whether he can repeat his '05 season. I'm not one of them. I'm more worried about Garland than Contreras.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
And that's why I'm glad we got him signed now.  I know some question whether he can repeat his '05 season.  I'm not one of them.  I'm more worried about Garland than Contreras.

But if we didn't extend his contract, and let him walk after this year, it wouldn't be much of a concern to us since we have Brandon McCarthy just aching to get into the starting rotation. Thats what my other post was about. We wouldn't have to go after Contreras, it wouldn't matter.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
But if we didn't extend his contract, and let him walk after this year, it wouldn't be much of a concern to us since we have Brandon McCarthy just aching to get into the starting rotation.  Thats what my other post was about.  We wouldn't have to go after Contreras, it wouldn't matter.

Alright, I get that point.