Sox Sign Jose Contreras to 3 Year Deal

G&T

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
The Total package if any one should be labeled is the kid from Seattle.

No, he is a god. A prodigy. Whatever you want to call him. He is beyond the total package. When you have an array of pitches like that, have control of them like he does, and have that type of composure on the mound, you are something incredibly special.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Funny how Pedro Martinez was labeled the same way.. Pretty damn good pitcher, yea hes hurt.. but look at Prior who has a better build than Mccarthy.. injury can happen to anyone.

Prior was throwing 120+ pitches very early on in his career. You can undoubtedly thank a lot of his injury concerns to Dusty Baker.

Pedro has not been hurt for extended periods of time because he has pretty much been babied his entire career. That's what a team has to do to keep him healthy.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Dont want to start a Rowand thread like last year.. look what it got him.. a Philly uniform.. anyone can get dealt. Part of a business, you need to look at it that way.  Its about winning now, not later...

Rowand was replaceable by someone within the organization, was making a decent amount of money, is 28 years old(29 in August), and was coming off a rather mediocre season offensively. That's why Rowand could be dealt.

McCarthy is replaceable, sure, but he is cheaper than hell, he is very young, and he was coming off a season where he was friggin absolutely brilliant for stretches of time. If he can do anything near that consistently over an entire season, he is a 20 game winner.

I will say that this signing confused the hell out of me initially, as I thought the plan was to just let Contreras go at the end of the season and allow his to get like a 4-year, $48 mill deal or something around that territory, and then let McCarthy slip into the rotation. Apparently, I was quite wrong. I do think what this does give the organization is some leeway to do a number of things...play out the season with the 5 starters, and then see if a situation arises where one could be traded to get McCarthy into the rotation...or if not, allow McCarthy to remain in the bullpen(though I do not see that scenario playing out whatsoever...I hope nothing pans out that way)

Gonna be interesting to see

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox sign Contreras to extension

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

April 1, 2006, 11:43 AM CST

ATLANTA -- The White Sox signed their postseason workhorse, Jose Contreras, to a three-year, $29 million contract extension on day before they opened defense of their world championship Sunday night.

Contreras, who received a no-trade guarantee for the first year of the deal, was 11-2 in the second half of last season and was 3-1 during the postseason when he was the Game 1 pitcher in each of the championship series.

With the signing, the White Sox now have all their starting rotation – Contreras, Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Javier Vazquez signed through the 2007 season.

"I'm happy I'm going to stay with this team," Contreras said Saturday before the White Sox wrapped up spring training against Atlanta. "I wanted to get it done before the season so I could get rid of any trade rumors."

General manager Kenny Williams has strived for stability but now has six "starting" pitchers if young Brandon McCarthy is included. McCarthy will start the season in the bullpen. Williams said he would talk to McCarthy, who now seems stuck in a relief role.

"The most obvious question is what happens next year," Williams said. "We'll see what happens this season and make our determination as we move forward in the offseason."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Where as McCarthy is still under our control for years still and has the ability to match the productivity of anyone in our rotation.

Fufill is the key word... hope he does better. kenny gets the last word on this anyhow.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Where as McCarthy is still under our control for years still and has the ability to match the productivity of anyone in our rotation.

Over the course of the season, I think McCarthy would have a good chance of putting up better numbers than Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
No, he is a god.  A prodigy.  Whatever you want to call him.  He is beyond the total package.  When you have an array of pitches like that, have control of them like he does, and have that type of composure on the mound, you are something incredibly special.

Prior was throwing 120+ pitches very early on in his career.  You can undoubtedly thank a lot of his injury concerns to Dusty Baker.

Pedro has not been hurt for extended periods of time because he has pretty much been babied his entire career.  That's what a team has to do to keep him healthy.

Rowand was replaceable by someone within the organization, was making a decent amount of money, is 28 years old(29 in August), and was coming off a rather mediocre season offensively.  That's why Rowand could be dealt. 

McCarthy is replaceable, sure, but he is cheaper than hell, he is very young, and he was coming off a season where he was friggin absolutely brilliant for stretches of time.  If he can do anything near that consistently over an entire season, he is a 20 game winner. 

I will say that this signing confused the hell out of me initially, as I thought the plan was to just let Contreras go at the end of the season and allow his to get like a 4-year, $48 mill deal or something around that territory, and then let McCarthy slip into the rotation. Apparently, I was quite wrong.  I do think what this does give the organization is some leeway to do a number of things...play out the season with the 5 starters, and then see if a situation arises where one could be traded to get McCarthy into the rotation...or if not, allow McCarthy to remain in the bullpen(though I do not see that scenario playing out whatsoever...I hope nothing pans out that way)

Gonna be interesting to see

Great points... but we can go back to the Rowand threads and see how many of you siad no way we trade the best defensive CF in the game! I was one of the few that said he was more than expendable at tha time, and kenny concurred in the offseason.

Contreras' sig is now on the bottom line, no contract distractions this year whatsoever. Very nice.

They are playing it one year at a time, no need to worry about McCarthy, lots of things can happen after 2006. McCarthy is a huge part of the future, they love him, and he will pitch a lot.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Great points... but we can go back to the Rowand threads and see how many of you siad no way we trade the best defensive CF in the game!  I was one of the few that said he was more than expendable at tha time, and kenny concurred in the offseason.

Anyone who thought that Rowand would be with the team this year was dillusional. He was incredibly expendable and would bring a good amount in return in any trade. Many people including me were upset to see him go simply because he was a fan favorite but it was hardly shocking.

You really can't compare Rowand to McCarthy.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Contreras' sig is now on the bottom line, no contract distractions this year whatsoever.  Very nice.

They are playing it one year at a time, no need to worry about McCarthy, lots of things can happen after 2006.  McCarthy is a huge part of the future, they love him, and he will pitch a lot.

For all we know , Vasquez is the one dealt.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Contreras' sig is now on the bottom line, no contract distractions this year whatsoever.  Very nice.

They are playing it one year at a time, no need to worry about McCarthy, lots of things can happen after 2006.  McCarthy is a huge part of the future, they love him, and he will pitch a lot.

Cost certainty.

The best six-man rotation in baseball.

umpire_pic_fp.jpg

Play ball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Over the course of the season, I think McCarthy would have a good chance of putting up better numbers than Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez.

I don't. I mean, I think he would be good, but I don't think he would do as any of those guys in his first full year of starting. Look at Danny Haren who was/is a stud pitching prospect. He had a hard time his first half of starting.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
For all we know , Vasquez is the one dealt.

I doubt it. Kenny has been trying to get Vazquez for years and KW goes with what he wants. It wouldn't suprise me if he tried to trade McCarthy for Cory Lidle. He's that adamant about getting the players he wants in here.

Leverage.

Didn't see this coming, but we've got one of the best luxuries in the bigs right now. Who knows if anyone gets traded now, because we all didn't know this was coming. However, if anyone would to be traded now, their value's increased with the length of their contracts and prices.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
Leverage.

Didn't see this coming, but we've got one of the best luxuries in the bigs right now.  Who knows if anyone gets traded now, because we all didn't know this was coming.  However, if anyone would to be traded now, their value's increased with the length of their contracts and prices.

everyone signed thru 07 now. if you ask me buerhle or garcia could be traded next offseason. mark is gonna be ridiculously expensive when he hits the FA market, so the sox might try to get something for him when they can (and they will be able to get alot)

Edited by daa84

Why would we trade anyone? Every team must have a 6th starter, either in the pen or AA/AAA. If any of our 6 sp gets dealt, who's our emergency plan? Cotts? Broadway? Haeger? Do we even need to discuss why those are all horrible options?

We have 6 good sp but virtually no depth. The Sox were killed for years in having an abysmal 5th starter. Do we want to be one injury away from that situation?