Sox Sign Jose Contreras to 3 Year Deal

G&T

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
However, if anyone would to be traded now, their value's increased with the length of their contracts and prices.

That depends on how well they pitch and their health. A healthy, productive Contreras is a steal at an average of under $10 million/year. However, an '03 or '04 Contreras who is due $29 million could be seen as a financial albatross. Vazquez has been somewhat of a bust (considering how much he's being paid) since leaving MON. If he doesn't have a decent half-season, his value will be pretty low.

I would've rather seen Buehrle locked up, but I like the fact that Jose's contract is no longer a distraction.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
mark is gonna be ridiculously expensive when he hits the FA market, so the sox might try to get something for him when they can (and they will be able to get alot)

No way. Ozzie loves Buehrle (he was the only other person that he'd give the Captain title), he's durable, he eats innings like crazy, and he's our only left-handed starter. He's a very good (and consistent) pitcher, but he's not in the same "dominant" category as guys like Santana and Oswalt. I think that Freddy would be odd man out. I like the guy, but he's maddeningly streaky at times.

How old is Blalock? Nobody ever talks about this. He's only 25. He still put up good numbers overall last year and would do the same at a htiters park like ours. He's inexpensive which is more than you will be able to say for Crede soon. He didn't hit lefties last year but it took Eric Chavez a few years to figure out lefties too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Blalock may not be the best example...especially since we have Fields waiting in the winds.  But who knows what we might be able to do next year.  Say Florida decides they want a veteran on their young pitching staff, and makes an offer involving Cabrera for a pitcher and Crede?  Or the Yankees decide they finally need to fill in that hole that is their starting pitching, and offer us up one of their big guys.  Or the Red Sox figure out that they need to replace Wells and Schilling next offseason and offer us a bat, cash, and some of their young guys?  Or the Angels realize that they need another starting pitcher, and finally decide that they don't have a place to play Brandon Wood for 2 more seasons?

God, the possibilites are endless.  We'd seriously be talking about being able to trade for a top level player here, because that's the value of a monster pitcher, and that's what we have 6 of.

Cabrera is another bad example. No way the Marlins would give him up considering he's probably going to be the 2nd best hitter of his ERA(Pujols being #1). He's only 23/24 as well.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
How old is Blalock? Nobody ever talks about this. He's only 25. He still put up good numbers overall last year and would do the same at a htiters park like ours. He's inexpensive which is more than you will be able to say for Crede soon. He didn't hit lefties last year but it took Eric Chavez a few years to figure out lefties too.

Blalock also doesn't hit outside Ameriquest. I'll keep Crede over him, thank you very much.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
I'm very happy.  Jose is the guy I wanted to keep around for a while, he's going to be one of the best pitchers in the al for at least a few more years.

Then he'll retire as a White Sox great and have a statue on the concourse one day. At least I hope so. He's one of my favorite players.

Like someone else said already, this was a signing that could not be passed up and had to be done. KW knows to keep a good team he has to mix in the young guys too, McCarthy who would be a top starter in anyone elses rotation is going nowhere. The way I see it, KW lets the season play out and see what happens until next year. We have our insurance policy while still developing in the bullpen.

My bet is either KW is planning on trading one of our starters later or is just signed Jose because of the deal and will wait until the year is over to make a decision...or he could be building a 6 man rotation for 07 haha.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
He still put up good numbers overall last year and would do the same at a htiters park like ours.

I absolutley despise this logic.

It's true that USCF is a great hitter's place like Texas, but why would you want a guy on your team if you know he is going to be f***ing atrocious on the road (HALF THE SEASON.) It's more than not being able to hit LHP, or on the road, he's also not a finisher. His 2nd half numbers always suck too. I'd much rather have Crede over Blalock in October and September even if it means Crede won't hit RHP, at home, in the first half better than Hank.

We have Thome, Konerko, Dye, and AJ to knock in our runs. We don't need Blalock.

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
that would be awesome

doubt he'd want 2 tho

he'll prolly want to go to the cardinals

If the Sox offered him a contract through 2015 with all garuanteed money and something like $12M per year he'd be a fool to pass it up. It would also be one of the dumbest moves any team has ever made.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
How old is Blalock? Nobody ever talks about this. He's only 25. He still put up good numbers overall last year

Uh.. which Blalock are we talking about? Hank Blalock, I'm assuming thats who, hit .263/.318/.431 last year, and if those are good numbers, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Help me settle a debate.

Garland and Contreras were both signed this off season.  What's the soonest either could be traded?

After the end of the World Series unless they waive their no trade clauses then they could be traded tomorrow.

QUOTE(whitesoxgt @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Have u seen Prior lately he said he lost 20-30 pounds b'cuz he was battling some sickness, thats BS

*cough*Steroids*cough*

Yeah, not to mention his long time pitching tutor was caught selling roids.