Sox Displeased w/ Bobby, Dustin?

beck72

According to MLB trade rumors, the sox are none too happy with Jenks and Dustin.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/04/sox_brass_displ.html

Makes a lot of sense. Dustin tells the sox he's ready to go, and KW doesn't make a move [which is unlike him not to fill a need]. If the sox knew Hermanson wasn't ready to go, they'd have made some kind of a deal as a backup plan.

We already knew about Jenks and his weight--though how much is related to his lifting and how much just being overweight and out of shape. Why pro athletes would still be out of shape in this day and age is beyond me. They can afford a damn treadmill at least

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 05:22 AM)
According to MLB trade rumors, the sox are none too happy with Jenks and Dustin.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/04/sox_brass_displ.html

Makes a lot of sense. Dustin tells the sox he's ready to go, and KW doesn't make a move [which is unlike him not to fill a need]. If the sox knew Hermanson wasn't ready to go, they'd have made some kind of a deal as a backup plan.

We already knew about Jenks and his weight--though how much is related to his lifting and how much just being overweight and out of shape. Why pro athletes would still be out of shape in this day and age is beyond me. They can afford a damn treadmill at least

I can see where they would have problems with Jenks, but they knew the story with Hermanson. They knew he hadn't thrown a pitch, and as Herm Schneider says, his back is fine except for the pain when he twists it pitching. I believe one article said if Hermanson were at any other position than pitcher, he would be able to play. I really find it hard to believe they would be pissed at him when last season he was talking about retirement, and when he came to camp he had not thrown 1 pitch all winter. In fact at the end of January at Soxfest someone asked KW about Thome's back. He said it wasn't an issue, that there were a couple of other backs he was way more concerned with. I guarantee one of those was Hermanson's. Besides, what reliever was available a week or 2 into spring training that isn't available now?

mlbtraderumors.com = not reality

This site is fantasyland. Unless you think that the Brewers are trading Carlos Lee to the cubs anytime soon.

Are they happy about the Dustin situation. I mean anyone can figure out that they are not thrilled. Backs are tricky. He probably did feel good, up until he started baseball activity.

Jenks will be fine as far as his velocity. It takes hard throwers longer to get their velocity. He was dumb with the weights, weights are probably the worst thing he could of done. His flexibility is probably down a bit, meaning he will have to work harder to get loose.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
I can see where they would have problems with Jenks, but they knew the story with Hermanson. They knew he hadn't thrown a pitch, and as Herm Schneider says, his back is fine except for the pain when he twists it pitching. I believe one article said if Hermanson were at any other position than pitcher, he would be able to play. I really find it hard to believe they would be pissed at him when last season he was talking about retirement, and when he came to camp he had not thrown 1 pitch all winter. In fact at the end of January at Soxfest someone asked KW about Thome's back. He said it wasn't an issue, that there were a couple of other backs he was way more concerned with. I guarantee one of those was Hermanson's. Besides, what reliever was available a week or 2 into spring training that isn't available now?

IIRC there wasn't any retirement talk coming from Dustin last season. It was only brought up this spring [and Dustin denied uttering those words, or implying it]. The media likely asked about it and ran with it

No one knows what kind of deals were or are still out there for bullpen guys. But with closers such as Todd Jones and Benitez from SF starting the yr on the DL, it would cost a lot of talent to land any help now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
mlbtraderumors.com = not reality

This site is fantasyland.  Unless you think that the Brewers are trading Carlos Lee to the cubs anytime soon. 

Are they happy about the Dustin situation.  I mean anyone can figure out that they are not thrilled.  Backs are tricky.  He probably did feel good, up until he started baseball activity.

Jenks will be fine as far as his velocity.  It takes hard throwers longer to get their velocity.  He was dumb with the weights, weights are probably the worst thing he could of done.  His flexibility is probably down a bit, meaning he will have to work harder to get loose.

You take everything with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the site is 100% fact. But not all of it is 100% fiction either

RE: Jenks. His velocity isn't the concern. It's his excess weight which could lead to him injuring other parts of his body because of his being in poor shape.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 06:45 AM)
IIRC there wasn't any retirement talk coming from Dustin last season. It was only brought up this spring [and Dustin denied uttering those words, or implying it]. The media likely asked about it and ran with it

No one knows what kind of deals were or are still out there for bullpen guys. But with closers such as Todd Jones and Benitez from SF starting the yr on the DL, it would cost a lot of talent to land any help now.

He definitely floated the possibility of retirement due to back issues last season. Lets face it, he was a huge question mark all off season. I've been posting about the bullpen all off season. I see no way the Sox are pissed of at Hermanson. He has done everything they have asked of him. The payroll went up significantly this offseason, but the bullpen was mostly ignored or so it appeared. Either KW decided to roll the dice with Hermanson's back, or there was nobody available at a price the White Sox were comfortable with which would be odd because this guy's White Sox "source" also said that ownership was willing to go to $105 million with the payroll.

It also doesn't take a genius to figure the Sox ARE pissed at Jenks. Anyone who follows the team and read the papers can come up with that tidbit.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 07:48 AM)
You take everything with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the site is 100% fact. But not all of it is 100% fiction either

RE: Jenks. His velocity isn't the concern. It's his excess weight which could lead to him injuring other parts of his body because of his being in poor shape.

It might not be fiction, but 99.9% of the time its the owner of the site sitting at his computer saying "hrm, what story makes sense right now", and then going with it. He showed his stupidity in that same news story, in the comments, where he posted "Lidge for Buehrle?", and later on saying "Buehrle is not untouchable".

Basically all of those comments in that news story are foolish (not from just him), including such classics such as "how about baez for brandon mccarthy?" and "One idea I like is Brandon McCarthy for Aaron Heilman".