WWE Interesting Fact

AddisonStSox

Well, as many of you know, tonight is Wrestlemania. Although I am not a wrestling fan in any way, shape, or form, through work, my father has been working with the people at WWE for the past month or so in preparation for tonight's event. Last night, at some work function with a lot of the WWE brass, he learned a pretty interesting fact.

Apparently, the wrestlers of the pay-per-view events are not told the outcome of their match until minutes before the actual event. Only a select few know the outcome of the matches and the results are no released to anyone within the organization except the winner of the match, moments before they walk through the tunnel. In fact, the losers of the match are not even told, only the winners. So, they rehearse the match all week long like it is going to be preformed, but, only the winner knows the outcome and it isn't revealed to the loser until he is forced to take the three count.

Kind of interesting.

I know there are a lot of wrestling fans out there...enjoy tonight.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Well, as many of you know, tonight is Wrestlemania.  Although I am not a wrestling fan in any way, shape, or form, through work, my father has been working with the people at WWE for the past month or so in preparation for tonight's event.  Last night, at some work function with a lot of the WWE brass, he learned a pretty interesting fact.

Apparently, the wrestlers of the pay-per-view events are not told the outcome of their match until minutes before the actual event.  Only a select few know the outcome of the matches and the results are no released to anyone within the organization except the winner of the match, moments before they walk through the tunnel.  In fact, the losers of the match are not even told, only the winners.  So, they rehearse the match all week long like it is going to be preformed, but, only the winner knows the outcome and it isn't revealed to the loser until he is forced to take the three count.

Kind of interesting.

There's no way that's true. In fact, it's bulls***.

Most of the time the wrestlers know in advance. Where an angle is going. What they intend for their character. All of this. And wrestlers don't typically "rehearse" their matches. From everything I've read -- several autobiographies -- they typically talk about things before a match, and plot it out, but that's it.

Your dad's been had by the WWE. But don't feel too bad -- the WWE is very protective of its "secrets".

In fact, the guys not only know the finish to the match days in advance, they also know who their next feud will be against, and if the next opponent will have any hand in the match.

While they don't rehearse their matches per se, they often get together pre-match to talk about "spots" ( a spot is a short series of moves ) and how the spots will line up to make a match as interesting as it can be.

Some guys like DDP had their matches planned out move by move so obviously they had to know the outcome well before the actual match. Plus you hear lots of behind the scene stories of guys not wanting to do the job and then no-showing a show. so they obviously knew the outcome more than 10 minutes before the match.

I think the longer you are in the WWE and the more interest your character gets influences how much a wrestler knows about their character. Sure, Triple H knows whats going to happen with his character probably for the rest of his life, but I am pretty sure that Matt Hardy has no idea where his character is going right now, and I think that he finds out nightly what is happening to his character and whether he wins or loses.

I also think they withold the result of certain pay-per-view spots from even the upper echelon wrestlers because the wrestlers can concentrate on the heat they generate between each other and neither really knows. Nobody likes to lose, and it might take the edge off of a wrestler if he knows he has to job.

Some wrestlers know whats gonna happen, but a good majority doesnt know.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I still believe the WWE guys were "protecting" the business, but if in fact they now hide the results of their matches from the wrestlers, it would help to explain why the product has gone to s*** in the past few years.

Who said kayfabe was dead?

Some guys like DDP had their matches planned out move by move so obviously they had to know the outcome well before the actual match.  Plus you hear lots of behind the scene stories of guys not wanting to do the job and then no-showing a show.  so they obviously knew the outcome more than 10 minutes before the match.

Greatest.avatar.ever. :lol:

All I can say is that I hope Rey Mysterio loses the belt as soon as possible. The whole thing concerning him has felt dirty since everyone and their brother knows that he's only getting this chance because Eddie Guerrero died. It was nice to see Mysterio win the Rumble, and I honestly enjoyed it a lot (mainly because he eliminated HHH and Orton). But, this has been enough. Mysterio isn't someone who should be carrying the title. I only hope they have him lose it soon.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
All I can say is that I hope Rey Mysterio loses the belt as soon as possible.  The whole thing concerning him has felt dirty since everyone and their brother knows that he's only getting this chance because Eddie Guerrero died.  It was nice to see Mysterio win the Rumble, and I honestly enjoyed it a lot (mainly because he eliminated HHH and Orton).  But, this has been enough.  Mysterio isn't someone who should be carrying the title.  I only hope they have him lose it soon.

Mysterio is dropping the belt to Randy Orton friday night on Smackdown..

Also.. Addy what your dad heard could possibly be true except for I dont believe they go through the matches and rehearse.. I think it would be kind of hard for Edge and Mick Foley to practice going through flaming tables till they get it right.. A lot of things are prolly talked about in advance but I dont think they would risk injury just practicing before the actual event..

My aunt works for a cable company in Chicago and she got to meat Johnny Nitro and Joey Mercury and got to hold one of the tag titles..

Im one of the biggest wrestling fans there is btw, but I agree it has gone downhill since its prime.. I miss Razor Ramon

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)

Also.. Addy what your dad heard could possibly be true except for I dont believe they go through the matches and rehearse.. I think it would be kind of hard for Edge and Mick Foley to practice going through flaming tables till they get it right.. A lot of things are prolly talked about in advance but I dont think they would risk injury just practicing before the actual event..

My aunt works for a cable company in Chicago and she got to meat Johnny Nitro and Joey Mercury and got to hold one of the tag titles..

Im one of the biggest wrestling fans there is btw, but I agree it has gone downhill since its prime.. I miss Razor Ramon

Orton got suspended, so that not's happening.

Addy's dad got worked simple as that.

Each wrestler is different. Some guys will go out and actually practice certain spots or a finish. Other guys go out there and just do it.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)

Difficult for Orton to drop when he's been suspended for "unprofessional conduct" for up to 60 days.

And I agree with your assessment about Mysterio getting the strap. It is a f***ing travesty that RVD hasn't gotten a shot. /shakes fist about Vince's love of hosses.

Perhaps the "Cena Sucks" and "Die Cena Die" chants on Raw might make WWE a bit more apt to take the title off him and not give it to Mr. 20 Minute Promo (not a knock against HHH's ability in the ring...just the fact that goddamn man, cut a promo in under 15 minutes)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
And I agree with your assessment about Mysterio getting the strap.  It is a f***ing travesty that RVD hasn't gotten a shot.  /shakes fist about Vince's love of hosses.

Perhaps the "Cena Sucks" and "Die Cena Die" chants on Raw might make WWE a bit more apt to take the title off him and not give it to Mr. 20 Minute Promo (not a knock against HHH's ability in the ring...just the fact that goddamn man, cut a promo in under 15 minutes)

2 things..

1) RVD won the money in the bank at Mania, which gives him a title shot. He'll use it at the second ECW PPV.

2) Mysterio getting the title the way he did makes him look horrible. The idea of him actually being the champion is really the greatest angle you can do. It's so simple, the total underdog who due to his size could lose at any time, but he pulls out the win. You can't do it forever, but they already blew that.

Actually 3 things..

The Cena hate has been going on since August, they just roll with it.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)

I miss Perfect :crying

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Well, as many of you know, tonight is Wrestlemania.  Although I am not a wrestling fan in any way, shape, or form, through work, my father has been working with the people at WWE for the past month or so in preparation for tonight's event.  Last night, at some work function with a lot of the WWE brass, he learned a pretty interesting fact.

Apparently, the wrestlers of the pay-per-view events are not told the outcome of their match until minutes before the actual event.  Only a select few know the outcome of the matches and the results are no released to anyone within the organization except the winner of the match, moments before they walk through the tunnel.  In fact, the losers of the match are not even told, only the winners.  So, they rehearse the match all week long like it is going to be preformed, but, only the winner knows the outcome and it isn't revealed to the loser until he is forced to take the three count.

Kind of interesting.

You are 100% wrong, winners are determined weeks even months earlier and one of my very good friends who I have known since 1987 just went 14-0 at Wrestlemania 22 is one hell of a source for the in's and out's.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
Difficult for Orton to drop when he's been suspended for "unprofessional conduct" for up to 60 days.

And I agree with your assessment about Mysterio getting the strap.  It is a f***ing travesty that RVD hasn't gotten a shot.  /shakes fist about Vince's love of hosses.

Yeah I just read that on Wrestlezone

SUCKS because Orton is the man

I cant wait to find out what constitutes as "unproffessional conduct" from a WWE wrestler. I know that sometime last year before Wrestlemania Orton was in big trouble for pulling a prank on a Diva which turned out to be him s***ting in her travel bag. And this was a girl who turned him down, so it was pretty bad for her for a while(so they say), I guess he wouldnt leave her alone until WWE had to intervene.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
I cant wait to find out what constitutes as "unproffessional conduct" from a WWE wrestler.  I know that sometime last year before Wrestlemania Orton was in big trouble for pulling a prank on a Diva which turned out to be him s***ting in her travel bag.  And this was a girl who turned him down, so it was pretty bad for her for a while(so they say), I guess he wouldnt leave her alone until WWE had to intervene.

HAHAHAHAHA

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
HAHAHAHAHA

I know, thats is some funny s***, pun intended. And if that didnt get him suspended, you gotta wonder what he did this time.

The guy thinks he is fabulous though, what do you expect.