Cleveland Umps

Jim Fainter

If that is true, that umpire needs to be suspended and fined heavily.  His job is to call balls and strikes, not to get snippy with a player.

It is better than the alternative. He would have been well within his rights just to toss Olivo and leave us without a catcher!

You got to like Miggy standing up for the team though... is it just me, or is everyone else looking forward to seeing this kid play everyday?  (not that I'm happy that Sandy got hurt again, but he looks like he's going to be a real stud!... the highlight of the season for me so far.)

Sandys hurt? Oh where have I been?

I hope we see him again! So Miggy can let one past and hit him in da nuts! :headbang  :headbang

he wouldn't get suspended-it happens all the time.Just one of the tricks of the trade.How is the ump gonna know,if the ball tips his glove,that it wasn't an accident.Just one of the tools in a catchers arsenal.

But that had to be the worst ball-strike umpiring I've seen in a long time.The call on Maggs was chest high,he was calling strikes at shoe top level by the eighth and ninth.The guy was all over the place.Some pitches were right there-and nothing.You could see it was driving Wright nuts........

It seems like the whole world is against the Sox this year.We're not snake bit-we've been swallowed........

K-Y

In general, major league umpires are, in a word, excellent. I didn't see the game against Cleveland on Friday, so I can't comment on that. But, if you really stop and think about it .... what percentage of ban bang plays they get absolutely right, without hesitation, you have to give these guys their kudos.

In general, major league umpires are, in a word, excellent.  I didn't see the game against Cleveland on Friday, so I can't comment on that.  But, if you really stop and think about it .... what percentage of ban bang plays they get absolutely right, without hesitation, you have to give these guys their kudos.

and actually Hawk and DK kept saying that this game seemed so much worse because of the excellent balls and strikes umping that we had had this year thus far.

However you spin it, there is NO excuse for a major league umpire to have a strike zone that changes as much as the wind does in Chicago. If he's going to call the high strike (or the low strike for that matter), do it -- but do it for BOTH sides. Friday night, that did not occur.

FYI Roman, umpires do in fact wear catcher-like shin gaurds under their pants. the only places that aren't protected are the arm and thighs. A few days ago, I noticed that the umps don't wear dangling throat gaurds. That really surprises me, because a foul ball to the throat could kill you.

You wouldn't catch the f***ing thing even if you tried!  :lol:

It's OK though....missed for a good cause, right?  :headbang

That would be the whole point. I wouldnt try to catch it!

And actually, I play catcher so I might be able to catch it. The other day I caught a guy who throws about 80 without any problems. Given it aint 95 but its a start right?