American flag banned at public school

mr_genius

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what started all this? Those immigration protests where people got all pissy about folks flying Mexican flags. People started flying U.S. flags in response, because ya know, it's offensive to fly another flag inside this country (and man do I hate U2 concerts.)

By the way, those who didn't see...it's not just U.S. flags, it's Mexican flags that are also banned. In other words, don't bring in a flag and taunt people.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
wtf

these people are morons. political correctness out of control.

according to the principal the american flag is used as a symbol of "ethnic intimidation, harassment and blatant bigotry"

:headshake

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/loca...88152%2C00.html

Your paraphrasing from the article is wholly inaccurate. The principal said, if you read carefully, that the flag WAS BEING USED to intimidate, by students. And it was. He said nothing incorrect, and was not saying the flag symbolized anything evil in general. His EXACT quote:

"The flags no longer were being used as symbols of patriotism or of cultural heritage, but of ethnic intimidation, harassment and blatant bigotry," Stumpf said.

And, for those of you who fail to actually read the article, let me help to make sure you aren't mislead. The American flag still flies over the school, and in classrooms. The ban is only for students wearing or flashing a flag, ANY FLAG OF ANY NATION, in the school.

This is one of the reasons why message boards are dangerous. Someone misquotes or misrepresents something as fact, and then everyone reading it assumes its true.

There's your headshake.

BTW, I am not saying I agree with the ban. But I really hate when people try to enflame others by manipulating facts. And besides, clearly, the students were indeed using the flags to intimidate people.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
Your paraphrasing from the article is wholly inaccurate.  The principal said, if you read carefully, that the flag WAS BEING USED to intimidate, by students.  And it was.  He said nothing incorrect, and was not saying the flag symbolized anything evil in general.  His EXACT quote:

"The flags no longer were being used as symbols of patriotism or of cultural heritage, but of ethnic intimidation, harassment and blatant bigotry," Stumpf said.

And, for those of you who fail to actually read the article, let me help to make sure you aren't mislead.  The American flag still flies over the school, and in classrooms.  The ban is only for students wearing or flashing a flag, ANY FLAG OF ANY NATION, in the school.

This is one of the reasons why message boards are dangerous.  Someone misquotes or misrepresents something as fact, and then everyone reading it assumes its true.

There's your headshake.

BTW, I am not saying I agree with the ban.  But I really hate when people try to enflame others by manipulating facts.  And besides, clearly, the students were indeed using the flags to intimidate people.

Then, by God, TEACH the students the proper way to display the flag. TEACH them the proper use of the flag. TEACH people. That's your job. Banning the flag of the United States of America is a hideous response. The guy should be fired.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
You know what started all this?  Those immigration protests where people got all pissy about folks flying Mexican flags.  People started flying U.S. flags in response, because ya know, it's offensive to fly another flag inside this country (and man do I hate U2 concerts.)

By the way, those who didn't see...it's not just U.S. flags, it's Mexican flags that are also banned.  In other words, don't bring in a flag and taunt people.

At the march downtown here (Chicago), I saw Mexicans carrying mexican and US flags. The idea is they love this country, but they also love their heritage. I've got no problem with that.

As far as this school goes and people/kids using their respective flags to intimidate - something went way wrong and as Yas said - this Principal messed up. These teachers messed up. They lost control and are now taking it out on the flags. :rolly

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Then, by God, TEACH the students the proper way to display the flag.  TEACH them the proper use of the flag.  TEACH people.  That's your job.  Banning the flag of the United States of America is a hideous response.  The guy should be fired.

I completely agree (well, maybe not with the guy actually being fired for it).

Like I said, I don't agree with the ban. I just wanted to make sure people actually knew what was going on.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Then, by God, TEACH the students the proper way to display the flag.  TEACH them the proper use of the flag.  TEACH people.  That's your job.  Banning the flag of the United States of America is a hideous response.  The guy should be fired.

:notworthy :notworthy

BTW, I will be burning some US flags this summer at camp. If anyone has any worn out flags they wish to have properly retired, pm me and I will give you my address. I am always looking for cotton flags, they make for a much hotter fire so that the nylon will burn better.

My beef with the "mexican flag" being flown is in most cases it wasn't about "heritage"... it was about sticking it up our rear end and "to take back what is theirs". Screw that.

Furthermore, it cracks me up that they are all over flying their Mexican flags - if they like it so much, GO HOME. STAY THERE until you can come back LEGALLY.

Then, and only then, do I welcome you to the "land of opportunity".

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
My beef with the "mexican flag" being flown is in most cases it wasn't about "heritage"... it was about sticking it up our rear end and "to take back what is theirs".  Screw that.

So wait, you're seriously buying the idea that most of the people flying the Mexican Flag in these protests are in those groups that want to reclaim California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas for Mexico?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
So wait, you're seriously buying the idea that most of the people flying the Mexican Flag in these protests are in those groups that want to reclaim California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas for Mexico?

No, not most, but the sentiment is what I'm talking about.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
No, not most, but the sentiment is what I'm talking about.

Well, you did say that in "Most" cases it wasn't about their heritage. Yes, that sentiment exists and yes there were probably people in the crowds in Chicago or L.A. who subscribe to it, but there are probably Klansmen who come out to wave at the President when he holds a rally, and there are communists (ANSWER) showing up at the anti-war rallies. The presence of some groups you don't like doesn't necessarily discredit the entire movement, IMO.

(Otherwise, the Rose Parade every year would be pretty bad, based on the guys who follow up the last official parade entry with giant signs telling us how we're all going to Hell)

i should mention that reports are that people were throwing american flags at the other kids faces, or rubbing flags in the face. So this doesn't really suprise me that much, i mean yo yos were banned in elementarys chool for me when kids were getting hit in the head. I mean this case wouldn't stand at the supreme court because they were using the flag in a way that was disruptful, so technically the principal is right. Colorado schools are f***ed up though aren't they.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
Your paraphrasing from the article is wholly inaccurate.  The principal said, if you read carefully, that the flag WAS BEING USED to intimidate, by students.  And it was.  He said nothing incorrect, and was not saying the flag symbolized anything evil in general.  His EXACT quote:

And, for those of you who fail to actually read the article, let me help to make sure you aren't mislead.  The American flag still flies over the school, and in classrooms.  The ban is only for students wearing or flashing a flag, ANY FLAG OF ANY NATION, in the school.

This is one of the reasons why message boards are dangerous.  Someone misquotes or misrepresents something as fact, and then everyone reading it assumes its true.

There's your headshake.

BTW, I am not saying I agree with the ban.  But I really hate when people try to enflame others by manipulating facts.  And besides, clearly, the students were indeed using the flags to intimidate people.

actually, i was not trying to mislead or "inflame" the message board. i quoted him as saying saying the american flag was being used to intimidate, bla bla bla... which he did say. i posted the link to the article so people could read it for themself and draw their own conclusions.

oh, and how exactly do you know that the flags "were indeed being used to intimidate"? could have just been some oversensitivity going on here. i suspsect the mexican students started wear mexican flags and then the american kids started wearing american flags. showing patriotism is often viewed as racist/incorrect by some of the far-left leaning individuals that seem to have a knack for gaining high positions in public learning institutions. these same people would veiw an individual wearing a mexican flag as being proud of ones cultural heritage...

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
they were using the flag in a way that was disruptful, so technically the principal is right.

good point.

he should have banned the mexican flags when they first started showing up and disrupting the school instead of waiting until the other students began wearing the US flag.

i'm pretty liberal all around but this is just bulls***. i agree with pretty much all of the sentiments expressed on this thread - its america, you should be able to display/wear/whatev the american flag wherever the f*** you want. wow...

i hate political correctness...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
You know what started all this?  Those immigration protests where people got all pissy about folks flying Mexican flags.  People started flying U.S. flags in response, because ya know, it's offensive to fly another flag inside this country (and man do I hate U2 concerts.)

By the way, those who didn't see...it's not just U.S. flags, it's Mexican flags that are also banned.  In other words, don't bring in a flag and taunt people.

There's a difference between the Mexican flag and the American flag here. We live in a America, anyone has a right to fly the American flag. Once you become a U.S. citizen, you're an American in my opinion. Sure it's cool to keep your heritage, but flying the Mexican flag at a school or any other public place doesn't need to happen. I woudln't expect any other country to fly our flag anywhere. People can't have it both ways.

It shows disrespect for the American flag when it is used as an object to harm people. I guess liberals can understand that better. As an example, there are plenty of hate groups that have wrapped themselves in the US flag and used it to intimidate anyone who doesn't think like them. I do not like seeing the flag of my country used that way. Fly it with dignity and respect, or don't fly it at all. I see them being dragged on the ground, tossed in people faces, snapped at people like whips, and get rather upset. If someone wants to use that as an example of a liberal defending banning the flag, so be it. Maybe conservatives, like whitesoxfan101, don't mind the flag being used that way, but I do. I believe it is banning the disrespectful use of the flag, not the flag itself.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
It shows disrespect for the American flag when it is used as an object to harm people. I guess liberals can understand that better. As an example, there are plenty of hate groups that have wrapped themselves in the US flag and used it to intimidate anyone who doesn't think like them. I do not like seeing the flag of my country used that way. Fly it with dignity and respect, or don't fly it at all. I see them being dragged on the ground, tossed in people faces, snapped at people like whips, and get rather upset. If someone wants to use that as an example of a liberal defending banning the flag, so be it. Maybe conservatives, like whitesoxfan101, don't mind the flag being used that way, but I do. I believe it is banning the disrespectful use of the flag, not the flag itself.

:notworthy :notworthy

These 'educators' flat out blew an opportunity to teach these kids about respect for the flag. They should have called an assembly and chewed some collective ass. They should have threatened suspensions and detentions for anyone using the flag in a way other than it is intended to be used. That's what upsets me about this. They took the coward's way out and 'banned' the flag.