American flag banned at public school

mr_genius

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
These 'educators' flat out blew an opportunity to teach these kids about respect for the flag.  They should have called an assembly and chewed some collective ass.  They should have threatened suspensions and detentions for anyone using the flag in a way other than it is intended to be used.  That's what upsets me about this.  They took the coward's way out and 'banned' the flag.

I agree, this should have been an opportuntity to learn flag etiquette. I am ashamed at how poor a job we do in teaching kids as a society about the flag and it's meaning, and how to properly display it. It is typically a 10 minute lecture in some Social Science class. They should have a flag ceremony every day and allow every kid to raise and lower the flag during the course of the year.

One interesting debate we have down here, is the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. We have so many immigrants from around the globe, Asia, Canada, and of course Mexico and further south. I believe it is wrong to demand they pledge allegiance to the flag when they are not even citizens. Many maquilla workers are down here on a couple year contract and return to their corporate headquarters after they get "international" experience. They are working in Mexico, living in the US, and citizens of Tiawan, China, Canada, Brasil, etc. If I was on a job in Tiawan, I wouldn't be pledging allegiance to their flag.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
If I was on a job in Tiawan, I wouldn't be pledging allegiance to their flag.

If you were going to school in Tiawan, they wouldn't provide special 'Tiawanese as a second language' classes for you. :usa

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
If you were going to school in Tiawan, they wouldn't provide special 'Tiawanese as a second language' classes for you.    :usa

One of the advantages of being a wealthier, more advanced society . . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
I agree, this should have been an opportuntity to learn flag etiquette. I am ashamed at how poor a job we do in teaching kids as a society about the flag and it's meaning, and how to properly display it. It is typically a 10 minute lecture in some Social Science class. They should have a flag ceremony every day and allow every kid to raise and lower the flag during the course of the year.

Prior to heading off to Grad School, I spent some time selling Vacuum cleaners, and did a lot of it door-to-door. I can't tell you how many times I saw flag rule violations. I mean, I understand if you forget to take it in during a rainstorm sometimes...but come on, when I walk up to your door and the flag is lying on your steps, not even folded or anything...or when you're taking it down and you just kinda toss it on the ground while you're tying up the ropes on your flag pole, I mean jeeze.

I had a habit of leaving notes on the doors of the particularly bad ones, where it was just lying around.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Prior to heading off to Grad School, I spent some time selling Vacuum cleaners, and did a lot of it door-to-door.  I can't tell you how many times I saw flag rule violations.  I mean, I understand if you forget to take it in during a rainstorm sometimes...but come on, when I walk up to your door and the flag is lying on your steps, not even folded or anything...or when you're taking it down and you just kinda toss it on the ground while you're tying up the ropes on your flag pole, I mean jeeze.

I had a habit of leaving notes on the doors of the particularly bad ones, where it was just lying around.

I had a paper route in junior (and early high) school, and it was totally amazing the mistreatment of people's flags. Most people don't even stand up (unless prodded) when the flag passes. In 8th grade one of my teachers actually made us take a test of flag etiquette. I still remember much of what I learned and I cringe when I see the flag mis-displayed. Actually, I've complained to my high school and college for flying the flag improperly (not lit at night, improperly flown at half mast, having a state flag equally high, etc). It boggles my mind.

My other big pet peeve are those flags that go on the cars. They fly off all the time and end up on the ground or else get so tattered. Ironic, those people think they're being sooooo patriotic, but really they're not showing proper respect.

As for this school situation, it's a case of the flag beign misused. I think it could have been a teachable moment, but it was right to remove such a powerful and beautiful symbol from abusive hands.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
It shows disrespect for the American flag when it is used as an object to harm people. I guess liberals can understand that better. As an example, there are plenty of hate groups that have wrapped themselves in the US flag and used it to intimidate anyone who doesn't think like them. I do not like seeing the flag of my country used that way. Fly it with dignity and respect, or don't fly it at all. I see them being dragged on the ground, tossed in people faces, snapped at people like whips, and get rather upset. If someone wants to use that as an example of a liberal defending banning the flag, so be it. Maybe conservatives, like whitesoxfan101, don't mind the flag being used that way, but I do. I believe it is banning the disrespectful use of the flag, not the flag itself.

I agree with this post, but I just wish some people would admit that this specific instance is completely stupid. The fact that many extremists groups on both sides wrap themselves in the flag makes me sick and the fact that it works makes me even more sick.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Actually, I've complained to my high school and college for flying the flag improperly (not lit at night, improperly flown at half mast, having a state flag equally high, etc). It boggles my mind.

Unless your paper route included ships, you probably mean half staff, a mast is on a sail boat. When flying the flag at half staff, or mast, the flag is always briskly flown to the top, then slowly lowered. When retiring the colors, once again the flag is brought to the top and briskly brought down.

The laws have changed and a state flag may be at the same height. Originally Texas was the only state accorded that honor, as it was the only country that willingly joined the Union and the Texas flag was originally a national flag. Now any state may fly at the same height, but it must be to the US flag's left (right as the audience looks at it.)

Interesting institutional breaking with etiquette. The US flag is always to the speaker's right when on a stage (audience left). In synagogues, the Israeli flag occupies that place of honor and the US flag is moved over.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Unless your paper route included ships, you probably mean half staff, a mast is on a sail boat. When flying the flag at half staff, or mast, the flag is always briskly flown to the top, then slowly lowered. When retiring the colors, once again the flag is brought to the top and briskly brought down.

The laws have changed and a state flag may be at the same height. Originally Texas was the only state accorded that honor, as it was the only country that willingly joined the Union and the Texas flag was originally a national flag. Now any state may fly at the same height, but it must be to the US flag's left (right as the audience looks at it.)

Yeah, staff that's what I mean. Like I said long weird day.

I didn't know that about state flags, I think I had heard it about Texas, but never really occurred to me. The thing that drives me batty is occassionally I've seen the US flag half staff and the state flag not, so it ends up being higher than the US flag.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
Yeah, staff that's what I mean. Like I said long weird day.

I didn't know that about state flags, I think I had heard it about Texas, but never really occurred to me. The thing that drives me batty is occassionally I've seen the US flag half staff and the state flag not, so it ends up being higher than the US flag.

tex i've never heard 'half-staff' just 'half mast'.... interesting...

American flag comes in second here...

upsidedown002.jpg

upsidedown003.jpg

upsidedown004.jpg

Another interesting tidbit.

Michelle Marquez, an eigth-grade student at Lamar Middle School in Irving, was taunted for having a U.S. flag during an immigration protest at Kiest Park in Dallas. “My heart is with the Mexican flag and Mexico but I’m standing on American ground and I’m Mexican-American,” she said.

flagbattle004.jpg

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
How about this one instead?

costamesa.jpg

lol since when have they sided with the Native Americans. Realistically though, most of our ancestors went through Ellis Island or another place like that where we registered. Sure it was probably a lot easier then, but the people coming through now aren't becoming citizens. I have no problem with them become legal citizens.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
lol since when have they sided with the Native Americans. Realistically though, most of our ancestors went through Ellis Island or another place like that where we registered. Sure it was probably a lot easier then, but the people coming through now aren't becoming citizens. I have no problem with them become legal citizens.

The poster specifies the North American continent, not the United States. Modern Mexicans are descended from indiginous North American lines, albeit with 500 years of outcrossing with invading Europeans.

The point of that protest poster is that there were inhabitants of North America prior to 1492. Not that it mattered much to the Europeans who came, saw, and conquered.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 2, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
wtf

these people are morons. political correctness out of control.

according to the principal the american flag is used as a symbol of "ethnic intimidation, harassment and blatant bigotry"

:headshake

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/loca...88152%2C00.html

f***ing ridiculous. How is there enough people this stupid???

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
Courtesy of Michelle Malkin...

upsidedown.jpg

As she asks, why is this not on the cover of the NY Times?

thats perfect

i hope they keep doing stuff like this and i hope guys like flasoxxjim keeps defending it. it will definately help get stronger immigration laws on the books.

Who knew that FlaSoxxJimm was responsible for stricter immigration laws - somehow I'd thought that would have been a combination of Congress and a problem with immigration.

I was listening to WABC today and they were discussing a doomed proposal about letting legal immigrants vote in local elections (they can vote for school board in Chicago) in NYC.

Then a self described "right wing as they come" caller admitted to hiring illegal aliens because he needed the cheap labor. Then he complained about how they're planning to stay home on May Day so that people can see exactly how big of a factor they are in our workforce. And suddenly there was no problem with employing illegal workers, the problem was the "gall" of those illegal workers to strike and demand anything at all.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Who knew that FlaSoxxJimm was responsible for stricter immigration laws - somehow I'd thought that would have been a combination of Congress and a problem with immigration.

I was listening to WABC today and they were discussing a doomed proposal about letting legal immigrants vote in local elections (they can vote for school board in Chicago) in NYC.

Then a self described "right wing as they come" caller admitted to hiring illegal aliens because he needed the cheap labor. Then he complained about how they're planning to stay home on May Day so that people can see exactly how big of a factor they are in our workforce. And suddenly there was no problem with employing illegal workers, the problem was the "gall" of those illegal workers to strike and demand anything at all.

lol

good attempt at sarcasm in your first paragraph. it definately hepls to have far left crazy people defending these absurd ideas (hepls to show exactly how dangerously wrong they are). helps in elections... i hope you guys organize a huge flag burning, nation wide, protest right before the upcoming elections.

also, i like how you try to mock my original post for calling out someone who doesn't directly make the laws of the country then in your post do the exact same thing bringing up what some random "right wing" caller said on a radio show

well done, dude.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
thats perfect

i hope they keep doing stuff like this and i hope guys like flasoxxjim keeps defending it.  it will definately help get stronger immigration laws on the books.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
also, i like how you try to mock my original post for calling out someone who doesn't directly make the laws of the country then in your post do the exact same thing bringing up what some random "right wing" caller said on a radio show.

I've been quite reserved in what I have said in this thread. YAS posted an image offensive to many Americans with regard to respecting the US flag and suggested it be a Time magazine cover. I posted an image in response that I thought would be an equally good cover. Moreover I thought because it had more substance to it rather than just disrespecting the flag, I thought it a better 1-picture portrayal of two opposing yet valid viewpoints of the issues at hand.

Where exactly is my defense of the image disrespecting the flag that YAS posted? Please don't blow the question off, and don't imagine or assume something I didn't post. Dude.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim