McCarthy in Sox' '07 plans

SSH2005

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep03.html

McCarthy in Sox' '07 plans

April 3, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

Ken Williams didn't feel it was necessary to go into details or name teams, but the White Sox general manager did say pitchers Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia were closer to being traded this offseason than maybe they even know.

Then again, they weren't the only pitchers Williams discussed with other teams.

"That's accurate,'' Williams said Sunday when asked about the trade talks over the winter. "I absolutely had talks with teams about all of our players that weren't under contract past this year. Again, we have to look out for our best interests.

"Also, we have the type of communication with the players -- between coaches and players -- that if we're asked a direct question, we give a direct answer. I have to do some things to assure we are insulated.''

Garland signed an extension through 2008, so he was given a temporary reprieve from those talks. But Garcia is signed through 2007, and his name could come up again this offseason.

Williams, however, made a point to say that any of the current five starters could be elsewhere after the 2006 season ends.

With right-hander Jose Contreras signing a three-year, $29 million extension Saturday, the topic of the staff's future came up, especially with Brandon McCarthy waiting patiently in the wings. Along with Contreras, Garcia and Garland, Mark Buehrle and Javier Vazquez are all under contract through at least 2007.

Williams first said Saturday that he had no plans to trade any of the six this year and would make it "an open competition'' heading into next spring.

While he still has no plans to break up the six this season, he said Sunday that all bets could be off come November.

"I've had calls [about our starters] from other teams since last October,'' Williams said. "They haven't stopped. My response is, 'I like what we have, thank you very much.'

"While I don't think there can be an excess of pitching, I do realize that before the start of the '07 season, with all things staying the same, we're going to have to find a spot for Brandon. Where or how that shapes up, I don't know.''

A chance to compete is all McCarthy is asking for. The right-hander said his first reaction when he heard the Contreras contract news was, "Wow, Jose is rich.''

Soon after that, he had a brief talk with pitching coach Don Cooper.

"Just to see what he thought, but I understand that things could change,'' McCarthy said. "I'm trying to learn a new role right now, so that's my focus.''

With Williams seemingly intent on getting McCarthy a job in the starting rotation by next season, though, it's obvious how highly they regard him.

"Again, a lot depends on what happens this year, who does what,'' McCarthy said. "But that's a good situation for me. It will work out well to come into spring training knowing that you're fighting for something.''

I saw this article and I think there was a misprint ... instead of Garcia I think the writer meant Contreras because he (KW) was talking about moving guys with only one yr. remaining on their contract.

Well, I'm glad to see that KW isn't going to hesitate to trade someone if he thinks that it'll make the team better. And while it's nice to know that no player is "sacred," I'm glad that B-Mac would be one of the last pitchers to go.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
I saw this article and I think there was a misprint ... instead of Garcia I think the writer meant Contreras because he (KW) was talking about moving guys with only one yr. remaining on their contract.

I think you are dead on right... They had to be talking about Contreras over Garcia. Someone screwed up.

Is McCarthy throwing a screwball?

During the game last night, there were 3-4 times where he threw an offspeed pitch (about 77 MPH on ESPN's gun) that had 2-seam break on them. Is this a variation of his change, or is he actually throwing a screwball?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)

During the game last night, there were 3-4 times where he threw an offspeed pitch (about 77 MPH on ESPN's gun) that had 2-seam break on them. Is this a variation of his change, or is he actually throwing a screwball?

I thought that was just his change being incredibly nasty when he threw it, but it could have been something new I guess.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
Same here. Freddy is younger and more proven than Contreras in my opinion.

Again...the same thing that makes him more desirable for us also makes him more desirable for other teams. Other teams might not want to trade for a guy who's probably pushing 37-38 and threw a lot of 150 pitch games in Cuba.

Then again, when Jose wins 20 this year, that may be a moot point.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
I thought that was just his change being incredibly nasty when he threw it, but it could have been something new I guess.

Ya, it's his change. It breaks straight down and away to lefties, it's nasty.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
someones getting traded thats for damn sure. Id like to see Contreas get traded cuase of age, but you might be able to get more for Garcia. 

I think its time sign Buehrle to a 10 to 20 year deal.

I like the way you think :D :cheers

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)

Thats his change. He also has a pretty good hook that he dropped in a few times.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Let Buehrle go and have BMac take his spot. I don't care about not having a LHP in the rotation.

You have no heart at all apparently.

Get rid of Contreras, quickly. BMac is ready to start now, and he's a better pitcher than Contreras, both now and in the future.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
You have no heart at all apparently.

Get rid of Contreras, quickly.  BMac is ready to start now, and he's a better pitcher than Contreras, both now and in the future.

Heart for what? Even KW said this is a business. And Contreras is better than BMac over the course of a season and that will show.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
Heart for what?

Mark Buehrle is the face of this pitching staff, and even the team. If he's out of Chicago anytime soon, not only will the fans be pissed off, but I'm sure some of the players won't be the happiest (Garland?).

I guarentee he's going nowhere anytime soon.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Let Buehrle go and have BMac take his spot. I don't care about not having a LHP in the rotation.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Heart for what? Even KW said this is a business. And Contreras is better than BMac over the course of a season and that will show.

:headshake :headshake :headshake :finger

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Mark Buehrle is the face of this pitching staff, and even the team.  If he's out of Chicago anytime soon, not only will the fans be pissed off, but I'm sure some of the players won't be the happiest (Garland?).

I guarentee he's going nowhere anytime soon.

I could care less about faces of the team. I like Buehrle and all as a person, but to me he's the weakest guy of the staff though no one will ever admit that. He isn't good against good hitting ballclubs and basically feasts off low pressure/bad team games.

And KW is trying to make the World Series trophy the face of the team, not a player.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
I could care less about faces of the team. I like Buehrle and all as a person, but to me he's the weakest guy of the staff though no one will ever admit that. He isn't good against good hitting ballclubs and basically feasts off low pressure/bad team games.

And KW is trying to make the World Series trophy the face of the team, not a player.

Throws more innings, wins pretty much more games. Basically our most consistent starter.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Throws more innings, wins pretty much more games.  Basically our most consistent starter.

I'll take the innings argument, but he also only feasts off bad teams or low pressure situations. He almost always craps on himself in big games or against good teams. He's consistently good against bad teams, and he'll give us innings, but the other guys will do so as well.