McCarthy in Sox' '07 plans

SSH2005

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
I'll take the innings argument, but he also only feasts off bad teams or low pressure situations. He almost always craps on himself in big games or against good teams. He's consistently good against bad teams, and he'll give us innings, but the other guys will do so as well.

That 3.47 era in the playoffs last year was just horrendous.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
I'll take the innings argument, but he also only feasts off bad teams or low pressure situations. He almost always craps on himself in big games or against good teams. He's consistently good against bad teams, and he'll give us innings, but the other guys will do so as well.

So what do you make of him always being one of our very best agains the Twins or the solid ERA he put up in the postseason?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
I'll take the innings argument, but he also only feasts off bad teams or low pressure situations.

Yeah, he was wretched in the ALCS.

He has his share of bad games, which keeps him from being a stud. Other than that, there's not much to dislike about a guy who's 85-53 with a 3.63 ERA and 220+ innings over the past five straight years. His overall postseason stats (2-0, 3.42 ERA) aren't terrible, either.

Given the fact that he's more consistent that Garcia or Garland, much younger than Contreras, and just flat-out better than Vazquez, I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
I could care less about faces of the team. I like Buehrle and all as a person, but to me he's the weakest guy of the staff though no one will ever admit that. He isn't good against good hitting ballclubs and basically feasts off low pressure/bad team games.

And KW is trying to make the World Series trophy the face of the team, not a player.

I tend to agree with you. The same can be said for Garland though. Contreras and Garcia are the two guys I would want to see on the mound with big things on the line. I'm yet to make an opinion on Vasquez. I'm fairly sure B-Mac will be our best pitcher next year, and maybe even this year if somebody goes down.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Nite's writing for the White Sox now.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

There was, IIRC, an article that said exactly that about Jon Garland a few weeks before Garland re-upped, and there were articles about Contreras for the last few months.

You know what that is? It's saying "Hey Mark...we don't need you...sign here."

Next winter is a long way off. These things tend to take care of themselves. I really don't think KW would trade one of them during the season unless the Sox somehow fell apart and were out of it. I wouldn't trade a starter for a reliever unless it is a top of the line closer. Someone may get hurt and open a spot for BMac, someone may not pitch well. BMac may get hurt or not pitch well.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Garcia isn't going anywhere as long as Ozzie is around. Garcia is under rated in my opinion. I see a big year out of him. Anybody remember what he did in the playoffs? Notably Game 4 of the World Series?

How about the near perfect game against Santana? That was one of the best pitched games by a Sox pitcher last year IMO.