Thornton last night.

My Dixie Normus

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
Going off of that, why did we just sign Contreras and JonG to long-term deals when their is no way in the world BMAC should not be pencilled into the rotation (I think this year) but next year at the freaking latest?

BMAC is essentially untouchable in my mind.  He still has plenty of time before arbitration, and he's ready to be an above average starter in MLB now. 

Imagine if he can fill out his frame a little and get that fastball up into the mid 90's--he's going to be a beast.  His control was looking dominant at times last year, times during spring training, and now in his first outing in 2006.

It's hard to be objective when dealing with a player like Brandon, but I think I'm being fairly reasonable in predicting ERA+ from him in the 125 range + 200 innnings next season.

I just looked up his PECOTA, and they don't seem to liek him that much.  Oh well.

Based off the recent quotes from KW, B-Mac is going to be in the starting rotation for 2007, at least he will have a shot in ST. The Sox now have a ton of options, depending on the team needs and contract situations, they can deal anyone of the starting five at the trading deadline or after the season. Someone is going to be the odd man out.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Agreed that Politte didn't look good last night.  He can't be realistically expected to post a 2.00 ERA again, but he needs to keep it under 4.00.  Otherwise, we might be forced to trade for a veteran long-reliever.

Cliff just couldn't get his slider over for a strike. Guys were sitting on his fastball. If he gets his slider over, he'll be fine. I'm not worried.

Poeple just need to be patient with Thornton. He's a project. Give Coop some time to really work with the guy. You can see he's already having an impact. Combined with his last spring outing, I believe Thornton hasn't issued a walk in almost 4 innings. I'd be willing to bet he never went that long without walking somebody last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
According to statistics based on balls put in play, Politte was the luckiest pitcher in baseball last season.  His fastball was down a couple of mph, and didn't seem to have a lot of zip.  It's still early though, so hopefully his arm strength will build up.  McCarthy looked great last night though, which was good to see.  Also, Thornton's never going to have pinpoint control.  If he can throw strikes, he'll be a useful reliever.

Yippee, more "luck" for the White Sox.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Thorton and Cliff were pitching after midnight in cold and rainy conditions in a 10-3 game.  I assume they were probably a little tight as far as getting loose.  From the 4th row behind the dugout Brandon and Thorton looked pretty damn good.

Preach on...I was a little tight watching the game after midnight!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
In a big game situation, Thornton might be brought out like he was last night, but just to face Hafner.

He K'd Hafner with a pretty good sequence(from what I could tell in my seat) but them came back out for the next inning. Im not sure how much that is going to happen.

On a related note, Cliff did not look good at all last night.

I was impressed with Thornton and his K of Hafner. He looked really good there, but wild in the 9th. But, maybe the good sign was that he didn't get hammered and got out of the jam? Politte didn't look good, but he didn't look comfortable to me. He seemed to be having problems getting his footing when he landed on the delivery.

I recorded the game off ESPN and watched it all too. I stayed up and waited through that 3 hour rain delay. Loved it!

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
I believe Thornton hasn't issued a walk in almost 4 innings.  I'd be willing to bet he never went that long without walking somebody last year.

I, of course, had to try and prove this false... But you appear to be right.

Though more than half of those innings are exhibition and don't count. You've gotta start somewhere.