Thoughts on Baines as 1st base coach

Dan

well as everyone already knows, Harold Baines is the White Sox 1st base coach for '06, and good ole Rock Raines is on the Bench. i gotta tell ya, this change seemed a bit wierd to me seeing as though Baines was never known to steal many bases and Rock was the Base Stealin' King. I really liked Rocks somewhat agressive nature, yet his cool slickness with the base runners not to mention his hilarity on the field. well just was lookin for some soxtalk opinions over the swich.

Just so we're all on the same page:

Harold Baines is the 2006 first base coach because he will no longer be coaching with the White Sox after the 06' campaign. I've heard that in his last year of coaching, he's requested to be the first base coach, and, seeing as Ozzie is not only his ex-teammate but also a close friend, he talked it over with Raines and the three came to this agreement together.

I don't know if Raines has managerial aspirations, but, he, too, is benefiting in this arrangement by serving as Ozzie's bench coach and learning some more of the in's and out's of the games.

I am very understanding of these moves. I support it fully.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Just so we're all on the same page:

Harold Baines is the 2006 first base coach because he will no longer be coaching with the White Sox after the 06' campaign.  I've heard that in his last year of coaching, he's requested to be the first base coach, and, seeing as Ozzie is not only his ex-teammate but also a close friend, he talked it over with Raines and the three came to this agreement together.

I don't know if Raines has managerial aspirations, but, he, too, is benefiting in this arrangement by serving as Ozzie's bench coach and learning some more of the in's and out's of the games.

I am very understanding of these moves.  I support it fully.

I hadn't heard that before Addy. Is Baines planning on leaving the org or just coaching in general?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
Harold Baines is the 2006 first base coach because he will no longer be coaching with the White Sox after the 06' campaign

I didnt know that, thats too bad I like Harold.

Any word of who will replace him as either bench coach (if raines goes to first) or first base coach?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
I hadn't heard that before Addy.  Is Baines planning on leaving the org or just coaching in general?

I've heard coaching. Ozzie has always said the beauty of this coaching staff is that the majority of them do not need the money, they are doing it out of a passion for the game. The baseball season is pretty treacherous and I think Harold just wants to ride off into the sunset.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
The only thing that bothers me is we don't get to see Rock run to 1st while the other team is taking grounders. :(

Yeah that will suck, I love watching him do that. Shows that he has fun, and he always beats the throw.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I've heard coaching.  Ozzie has always said the beauty of this coaching staff is that the majority of them do not need the money, they are doing it out of a passion for the game.  The baseball season is pretty treacherous and I think Harold just wants to ride off into the sunset.

I always figured Baines was a poor bench coach (in terms of stealing signs) so they figured having Raines there would be better served (Raines was involved in getting so many signs that I'd assume he'd be a little more ad depth in terms of stealing them.

I remember reading a few times where Baines didn't seem to be in it for the long haul, my guess is he'll become some sort of special assistant and he'll help out in spring training and maybe make a few visits during the season.

He has to be one of the quieter coaches around, but when he speaks I bet ya the players listen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
Baines will be a manager some day.  Just not for the sox.

not vocal enough to be a manager IMO

Edited by Dan

What happened on the play when LF Jason Michaels picked Anderson off from first base? I slept on the recliner through the rain delay and didn't wake up until Politte was in. Did the rookie pull a boner, Michaels make an outstanding play or was Harold watching the paint dry?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:05 AM)
What happened on the play when LF Jason Michaels picked Anderson off from first base?  I slept on the recliner through the rain delay and didn't wake up until Politte was in.  Did the rookie pull a boner, Michaels make an outstanding play or was Harold watching the paint dry?

I think Anderson was extremely nervous the other night. Earlier in the game, after he had recorded the final out of the inning, he didn't seem to be sure on how many outs there actually were. Then, of course, there was the boneheaded baserunning. I'm sure he's got all the jitters out of his system now.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Harlod Baines got hit by foul balls like three times in spring training.  He's not quite as fleet footed as Raines.

i think Harold is asleep at the wheel half the time. yeah Rock got around good last year and it was a pleasure just to watch him. i actually think the 1st base coach has alot to do with player performance. the thing about Rock is that he would always keep the runners loose and was a good match up with Pods last year. also if a line drive was commin sraight at Tim, Hawk would always go "Lookout, Rock!" ill miss those Hawkisms for Tim Raines this year.

Edited by Dan