Managerial Candidate

Jim Fainter

Terry Pendleton, hitting coach for the Braves. I always liked the way this guy played the game; smart, aggressive, team player, lots of respect from his teammates, MVP one year. He played well with the Cards, and then when the Braves got him, he made an immediate impact.

Plus, and this is no small deal, he is a great hitting coach.

For whatever reason, I have not heard his name mentioned, possibly because he is under contract. Maybe Jason can use his influence with KW.

I've always been a great Pendelton guy. He seems to of done a very good job with the Braves. You expect guys like Sheffield and Jones to produce but he's done a really good job with Marcus Giles and helping Javy Lopez rejuvenate his career. Even Castilla is picking things up again.

Is this is first year there? Or was he there last year.

I think he'd be a great hire, but I don't know if he's quite ready to be a manager. Could be though. Backman appears more ready.

Also I love it, if KW is reading my stuff Jim and listens to it, then I'll start writing a hell of a lot more :D

Gary Pendleton, hitting coach for the Braves.  I always liked the way this guy played the game; smart, aggressive, team player, lots of respect from his teammates, MVP one year.  He played well with the Cards, and then when the Braves got him, he made an immediate impact.

Plus, and this is no small deal, he is a great hitting coach.

For whatever reason, I have not heard his name mentioned, possibly because he is under contract.  Maybe Jason can use his influence with KW.

At least he's black. Should be right up JR's minority hiring alley. :rolleyes:

Well, if ya talking about the player, I believe it is Terry Pendleton. But this guy could do us good. Is he aggressive? I like aggressive risk taking managers...

It is Terry -

somehow the name Gary Pendleton sounds like I have heard of that before too, but I can find nothing for a Gary Pendleton in MLB history.

It is an interesting idea that I had never thought of, and I go along with Jason's questions. On the Atlanta site there is no link under Pendleton's name so I have no idea how long he has been coaching but he is 43 I think and has been retired since 98 or 99, so he may have a few years coaching somewhere. Or not, I can't tell from the Atlanta site.

I had a senior moment when I called him Gary. Terry, for sure. I believe he took over in Atlanta when Don Baylor was hired by the Cubs. Could be wrong, could be another senior moment. All by pals in Atlanta think he is the greatest. Really works with the hitters, every day. You can see it on the bench. A hitter makes out and he sits down with TERRY right away and they all listen. Plus, there is the Reinsdorf Factor: since he would be a first time manager, he wouldn't cost as much (compared to Valentine). He has leadership written all over him. Someone will get him soon.

I had a senior moment when I called him Gary.  Terry, for sure.  I believe he took over in Atlanta when Don Baylor was hired by the Cubs.  Could be wrong, could be another senior moment.  All by pals in Atlanta think he is the greatest.  Really works with the hitters, every day.  You can see it on  the bench.  A hitter makes out and he sits down with TERRY right away and they all listen.  Plus, there is the Reinsdorf Factor: since he would be a first time manager, he wouldn't cost as much (compared to Valentine).  He has leadership written all over him.  Someone will get him soon.

Perhaps you were thinking about Gary Templeton the old San Diego SS. My wires get crossed sometimes too. Pendleton was MVP I think in 91, the year the Braves turned the corner. By the way, even though the Braves have one only one WS during their long run of success I greatly admire that organization for continually adjusting and staying in the thick of things. I wish our White Sox could do the same. Back to Pendleton, he definitely wouldn't be the wallflower type. He was a winner all the way, not real great natural talent, but did the little things and knew how to win. I'd like him in some capacity for our team.

Also if we want a managerial candidate not name Backman, I'd take Buddy Black, pitching coach of the Anaheim Angels.

Real name Bud Black.

For some reason, pitching coaches are never good managers. When the Red Sox fired Jimy Williams, Joe Kerrigan was hired....and the Red Sox sucked after that. He's now with Philly.

I don't know why....maybe because they are too into pitching to know about all the aspects of the game.

I think former catchers as a whole make great managers. All you have to do is look around and you see a whole hell of a lot of catchers that are very good managers....Tony Pena, Mike Scoscia, Joe Torre(played the most games out of any position at catcher....if you consider him a good manager...I personally do not), Bob Brenly, Bruce Bochy is a decent manager, Ned Yost was a catcher as well. Also....Gene Lamont, who led us to two first place finishes in 1993 and 1994(for the 112 games or so that we played) was a catcher.

That's why I feel that as soon as Sandy retires, we need to bring him back here ASAP.

Also....leaders will make good managers....which is why I feel that Jose Valentin will be a good manager some day.

JMHO anyways

I think former catchers as a whole make great managers.  All you have to do is look around and you see a whole hell of a lot of catchers that are very good managers....Tony Pena, Mike Scoscia, Joe Torre(played the most games out of any position at catcher....if you consider him a good manager...I personally do not), Bob Brenly, Bruce Bochy is a decent manager, Ned Yost was a catcher as well.  Also....Gene Lamont, who led us to two first place finishes in 1993 and 1994(for the 112 games or so that we played) was a catcher.

That's why I feel that as soon as Sandy retires, we need to bring him back here ASAP. 

I agree. I guess catchers are generally better managers because they handle the pitchers all the time and are so involved that they are kind of managing while they're playing.

It is Terry -

somehow the name Gary Pendleton sounds like I have heard of that before too, but I can find nothing for a Gary Pendleton in MLB history.

It is an interesting idea that I had never thought of, and I go along with Jason's questions.  On the Atlanta site there is no link under Pendleton's name so I have no idea how long he has been coaching but he is 43 I think and has been retired since 98 or 99, so he may have a few years coaching somewhere.  Or not, I can't tell from the Atlanta site.

Gary sounds familiar but I know the player is definitely Terry...

I think former catchers as a whole make great managers.  All you have to do is look around and you see a whole hell of a lot of catchers that are very good managers....Tony Pena, Mike Scoscia, Joe Torre(played the most games out of any position at catcher....if you consider him a good manager...I personally do not), Bob Brenly, Bruce Bochy is a decent manager, Ned Yost was a catcher as well.  Also....Gene Lamont, who led us to two first place finishes in 1993 and 1994(for the 112 games or so that we played) was a catcher.

I agree. I guess catchers are generally better managers because they handle the pitchers all the time and are so involved that they are kind of managing while they're playing.

That does sound about right. They are involved offensively & defensively, and are involved with the pitchers as much as anyone.

You know....I bet Cal Ripken would be a hell of a manager too.

Guest hotsoxchick1

cal would never come to chicago thoughl.. baltimore is where his heart is...thats where it will remain........

Guest hotsoxchick1

im not so sure about that.. i think cal would make a good canidate.. but his head isnt here its there.......(in baltimore)........hes got a good baseball mind... shame to waste it.........

im not so sure about that.. i think cal would make a good canidate.. but his head isnt here its there.......(in baltimore)........hes got a good baseball mind... shame to waste it.........

Cal is OVERRATED :huh:

Also if we want a managerial candidate not name Backman, I'd take Buddy Black, pitching coach of the Anaheim Angels.

Real name Bud Black.

For some reason, pitching coaches are never good managers. When the Red Sox fired Jimy Williams, Joe Kerrigan was hired....and the Red Sox sucked after that. He's now with Philly.

I don't know why....maybe because they are too into pitching to know about all the aspects of the game.

I think former catchers as a whole make great managers. All you have to do is look around and you see a whole hell of a lot of catchers that are very good managers....Tony Pena, Mike Scoscia, Joe Torre(played the most games out of any position at catcher....if you consider him a good manager...I personally do not), Bob Brenly, Bruce Bochy is a decent manager, Ned Yost was a catcher as well. Also....Gene Lamont, who led us to two first place finishes in 1993 and 1994(for the 112 games or so that we played) was a catcher.

Also....leaders will make good managers....which is why I feel that Jose Valentin will be a good manager some day.

JMHO anyways

Other ex-catchers that have had some success as manager.... Al Lopez, Jeff Torborg, even Yogi Berra.

I've always liked catchers as managers. HSC and I discussed this a few weeks ago. One guy who I think would make a GREAT manager right now .... Joe Girardi. But, I wouldn't be pissed if the Sox hired another ex-catcher as their manager ... Carlton Fisk.

But, I wouldn't be pissed if the Sox hired another ex-catcher as their manager ... Carlton Fisk.

You and me both. I've been saying this for a few years now. However, with the asshole we have owning this Organization, I'd say there is a slim and none chance that the real "Pudge" will ever coach in a White Sox uniform until said asshole takes a flying leap off his much maligned upper deck :headbang

You and me both. I've been saying this for a few years now. However, with the asshole we have owning this Organization, I'd say there is a slim and none chance that the real "Pudge" will ever coach in a White Sox uniform until said asshole takes a flying leap off his much maligned upper deck  :headbang

Flying leap, aided shove... whatever it takes!