Sox Players Will Wear Their Series Rings Proudly

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...eball/whitesox/

Sox players say they'll wear their Series rings proudly

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

A World Series ring represents a badge of success for White Sox players, and nearly all the members of the 2005 team will be in attendance for Tuesday's ring ceremony at U.S. Cellular Field.

The only players unable to attend because of scheduling conflicts with their current teams are Carl Everett, Geoff Blum and Frank Thomas, Sox vice president of communications Scott Reifert said.

The Sox still are discussing the best way to deliver rings to those players, but Tuesday's ceremony will be too special for Willie Harris to miss.

Harris, who scored the winning run in Game 4 of the World Series, was sent last week to Boston's Triple-A affiliate in Pawtucket. Harris asked if he could attend Tuesday's ceremony and received approval from White Sox and Boston officials.

Every player who played in a game for the Sox in 2005 will receive a ring. In addition, Sox players on the active World Series roster, coaches and support staff members were pleasantly surprised by a specially designed watch which Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen presented to them after batting practice Sunday.

Pitcher Mark Buehrle was moved by the gesture—he had his watch box with him as he left the clubhouse early Monday morning.

Most players plan to wear their World Series rings only for special occasions. But Freddy Garcia, who takes the mound against Cleveland on Tuesday following the ring ceremony, hasn't forgotten the odds the Sox overcame to win their first World Series title in 88 years.

"I'll be wearing it, no doubt," Garcia said. "Last year, everyone who talked about the White Sox said we didn't have a good team. We were supposed to be fourth. We played the best teams in the big leagues and beat everybody. We deserve to wear the ring. I'll wear it everywhere."

The anticipation of the ring ceremony has increased, mostly because of the secrecy surrounding the design by Martyl Reinsdorf, Jerry's wife. A jeweler who designed the Marlins' 2003 rings expressed disappointment at December's winter meetings when the Sox didn't choose his proposal, which featured the Series trophy with the Chicago skyline in the background.

The Sox have kept their design under tight security, with the only revelation being that the titles of employees will be inscribed.

The ring ceremony is one of the final salutes to the 2005 season and marks the most visible achievement for a winning player, no matter what role he plays. Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi said championship players in his native Japan receive rings, but no ceremony is held.

Former Cubs pitcher Mike Morgan waited 21 seasons before earning a ring with Arizona in 2001. Morgan ordered the biggest ring he could get, but only so he could put it on display in his home rather than wear it.

"I want to wear it," Buehrle said. "But I think it's going to be weird for 20 guys on the same team wearing it all the time. When you go out, it's going to bring all the attention to you. I'll wear it more than not. It's one of those things you can wear and be proud of."

Catcher A.J. Pierzynski doesn't wear rings as a rule, but said, "I'll probably wear it when we go to Minnesota," referring to his former team.

Thomas won't be on hand because his new team, the A's, has a game Tuesday night in Oakland.

"I was there for so long, just watching the club go through a lot of ups and downs and finally getting that ring … that's one ceremony I definitely wanted to be at," he said. "Hopefully I'll get it in the mail."

Tuesday's ceremony will alleviate much of the disappointment Williams felt in 1992, when he saw friends and former teammates from Toronto celebrate the first of two consecutive World Series titles.

"I'm going to love to have a World Series ring, but more personally and professionally, I really think I'm going to be happiest for people like Jerry Reinsdorf, [groundskeeper] Roger Bossard, [trainer] Herm Schneider and people who have been here longer than me.

"It's a badge of success. How can it not be?"

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
For those at work:

LIVE VIDEO: World Series Ring Ceremony

Watch the ring ceremony where the 2005 World Champion White Sox will receive

their long-awaited bling.  It's live on NBC5.com, starting at about 12:30 p.m. 

More Details: >

the audio isn't working for me... its just a loud ringing sound

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Gotta hope - only chance I have of seeing this unless it is repeated in its entirety tonight somewhere.

hey prawn,

I'm just getting the channel five logo right now... is that what you have also?