Boone Logan

mike12345

He's been a rookie leaguer the last few years, which is the lowest level on the totem pole. He had little success until he changed his throwing motion. He now comes at the batters from kind of a 3/4 angle and was by far the most impressive LOOGy candidate this spring, posting an ERA of somewhere around 0.75 in like 11 innings. He's still young but has handled himself well for someone with limited rookie and A ball experience.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
His fastball tops off at 120mph and he dresses like a gladiator.

quit lying to the guy, jesus!

really he dresses like a ballerina to throw hitters off balance...it's a cheap trick but whatever gets the guys out..

He gave up a double, but aside from that he got Hafner to hit into a double play and while he didn't impress me with his command, no one really seemed to hit him hard.

I didn't see a lot of movement on his pitches but the hitters are the true sign and they had trouble squaring up. The true test will be how he does as people get enough film on him to come up with a good scouting report.

Than we find out whether he can be a main stay in the pen. You have to like the fact he gets a lot of GB's and people haven't hit him hard (including spring training).

Still, we will learn a lot about Anderson, Thornton, Logan and a few others as this season progresses. Prior to the trade deadline Kenny will know what he has and whether changes need to be made.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
He does indeed dress like a gladiator.  However his fastball is much faster than 120, as the whole reason nobody can hit it is the shock of the sonic boom it causes.

This is not sarcastic..he looks like a clown on the mound. I swear it looks like he's just a big awkward clutz and his freaking shoes take up the entire rubber and than some.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
He gave up a double, but aside from that he got Hafner to hit into a double play and while he didn't impress me with his command, no one really seemed to hit him hard. 

I didn't see a lot of movement on his pitches but the hitters are the true sign and they had trouble squaring up.  The true test will be how he does as people get enough film on him to come up with a good scouting report. 

Than we find out whether he can be a main stay in the pen.  You have to like the fact he gets a lot of GB's and people haven't hit him hard (including spring training). 

Still, we will learn a lot about Anderson, Thornton, Logan and a few others as this season progresses.  Prior to the trade deadline Kenny will know what he has and whether changes need to be made.

Jas,

We have to give boone a few outings before we know what we have out there. I was watching him warm up and he threw one that hit the wall. He was obviously very nervous.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Jas,

We have to give boone a few outings before we know what we have out there.  I was watching him warm up and he threw one that hit the wall.  He was obviously very nervous.

I completely agree, most of my writeup was based on his spring performances. Granted it was spring, but I think it was nice seeing how people rarely square up on him.

And it was no surprise he was nervous out there today, but considering the situation he came in on I couldn't complain with how he pitched. He gave up a double, but I think Mack had a bad jump. I don't think Anderson would have caught it, but it would have been closer.

One thing I wasn't impressed with was Mack in center or Mack at the plate. He tries to PULL everything. Granted this is just one days observations and it takes a while for me to formulate any sort of opinion on how I think a player will do/be.

One thing I wasn't impressed with was Mack in center or Mack at the plate.  He tries to PULL everything.  Granted this is just one days observations and it takes a while for me to formulate any sort of opinion on how I think a player will do/be.

That he does. He also strikes out a lot. But I'm we are both happy with Mack as our fourth outfielder instead of Timo. :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
One thing I wasn't impressed with was Mack in center or Mack at the plate.  He tries to PULL everything.  Granted this is just one days observations and it takes a while for me to formulate any sort of opinion on how I think a player will do/be.

That doesn't sound that surprising to me even though i haven't seen him much either...he's been described in the past as incredibly streaky, and that sounds like the guys on our squad who have a habit of going from using all field to pulling the ball randomly during the season. Crede for example...he tries to pull everything and he hits .200, he uses all fields and hits .500.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
and that sounds like the guys on our squad who have a habit of going from using all field to pulling the ball randomly during the season.  Crede for example...he tries to pull everything and he hits .200, he uses all fields and hits .500.

Another guy comes to mind that if I bring up I will get crucified.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)

Well, the way I wrote it, I think the only guy on our team it didn't apply to last year was Pods, but Pods was never really trying to do anything but slap.

AJ..he tries to pull, he hits .260. Uribe tries to pull everything, he pops it all up. Paul "I am a pull hitter" Konerko of the first 2 months of last season. Iguchi = right field. J.D. has great power the other way.

But I'm going to assume you mean Thome, since otherwise you would have said it...and after those 870 feet or so, I could see why you'd hesitate on that one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Well, the way I wrote it, I think the only guy on our team it didn't apply to last year was Pods, but Pods was never really trying to do anything but slap.

AJ..he tries to pull, he hits .260.  Uribe tries to pull everything, he pops it all up.  Paul "I am a pull hitter" Konerko of the first 2 months of last season.  Iguchi = right field.  J.D. has great power the other way.

But I'm going to assume you mean Thome, since otherwise you would have said it...and after those 870 feet or so, I could see why you'd hesitate on that one.

Nah I was more thinking of PK. I could be way off base but he seems like a guy that goes through terrible slumps where he is trying to yank everything for a bomb. Then when he is hot he can spray the ball all over.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Nah I was more thinking of PK.  I could be way off base but he seems like a guy that goes through terrible slumps where he is trying to yank everything for a bomb.  Then when he is hot he can spray the ball all over.

Oh you're 100% right on that one. All he needs to do IMO is hit like 1 out of every 5-10 balls he hits to right field...when he starts doing that, you can tell he's locked in and he's not letting people beat him. That's when the ball starts getting killed off his bat, because he's waiting back on pitches.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)

I have no idea who your speaking of. I assume you refer to Thome cause he's a pull hitter.

However I have been very pleased with Aj's approach the first two games. He seems to be hitting the ball hard to the opposite field. I expect a good year from him at the plate (avg wise).

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Nah I was more thinking of PK.  I could be way off base but he seems like a guy that goes through terrible slumps where he is trying to yank everything for a bomb.  Then when he is hot he can spray the ball all over.

I totally disagree with Paulie. He's one of those power hitters who goes to right field very well. Every once in a while he'll get in a funk and get locked in towards left, but when he does that you'll see him try to jam himself and hit the ball to right field in order to get out of the funk and it leads to him being able to drive the ball to all parts of the field.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I totally disagree with Paulie.  He's one of those power hitters who goes to right field very well.  Every once in a while he'll get in a funk and get locked in towards left, but when he does that you'll see him try to jam himself and hit the ball to right field in order to get out of the funk and it leads to him being able to drive the ball to all parts of the field.

Right, he can definitely go to right field very well, but he appears at times to go away from that and get very pull happy.