Freddy Today

whitesoxfan101

The fact that he was hit hard and struggled isn't what bothers me, that happens. The fact I didn't see him hit 90 once all game is what bothers me. Hopefully this was just a bit of a dead arm period or a bad day, because Freddy without a low to occasionally mid 90's fastball isn't going to work IMO. Hopefully his velocity is still coming back, but of course this is a concern considering all the innings he's thrown in his career, especially last year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
The fact that he was hit hard and struggled isn't what bothers me, that happens.  The fact I didn't see him hit 90 once all game is what bothers me.  Hopefully this was just a bit of a dead arm period or a bad day, because Freddy without a low to occasionally mid 90's fastball isn't going to work IMO.  Hopefully his velocity is still coming back, but of course this is a concern considering all the innings he's thrown in his career, especially last year.

I'm thinking the same thing. If it's like this in a month I will be worried.

Yeah, and I kept hearing he wasn't 100 percent during spring too. I'm more worried because of all the innings he's thrown over the last several years, not everybody can just throw a million innings and not even blink like Buehrle does. That and the fact that I came into the season most worried about Freddy as it is since his fastball (even with the good year he had), which was 95 in Seattle, was about 91 all year last year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
That and the fact that I came into the season most worried about Freddy as it is since his fastball (even with the good year he had), which was 95 in Seattle, was about 91 all year last year.

Freddy's on record saying that he purposely doesn't throw as hard as he used to so that he can locate his pitches better.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
However, perfect conditions for Freddy are a day game and it being on the road.

Indeed. I don't know what it is, but he has a history of pitching poorly at The Cell.

Let's also not forget the WBC. I keep coming back to that...pitchers just aren't used to coming out on March 1st and trying to throw full speed even for 60 pitches. Most guys take their arm and start to build up their conditioning for the season.

Maybe Freddy comes out in the WBC, throws a little harder a little earlier than usual...tires his arm out, and he winds up not being able to ease into the routine once he gets back into ST. That's my theory.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
We've had the Buehrle thread Sunday night, and now the Freddy one today.

I can't wait for the thread on Jose tomorrow.

Freddy had nothing today on his fastball and is coming off a huge workload season where his velocity was down a bit as it was. And the Buehrle giving up 3 run leads thing is something that started a while ago and was seen as recent as his last start (game 2 of the World Series.)

My apologies for bringing up discussion points, I'll make sure to be the eternal happy guy and start all encouraging threads from now on.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Let's also not forget the WBC.  I keep coming back to that...pitchers just aren't used to coming out on March 1st and trying to throw full speed even for 60 pitches.  Most guys take their arm and start to build up their conditioning for the season.

Maybe Freddy comes out in the WBC, throws a little harder a little earlier than usual...tires his arm out, and he winds up not being able to ease into the routine once he gets back into ST.  That's my theory.

That could be (and hopefully is) the case.

Freddy's not a terribly consistent pitcher and tends to get shelled at home. I'd be more surprised if he pitched the way that Westbrook has today.

Look at it this way: If he continues to suck, we can always trade him. It's not like we're lacking in starting pitching depth.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Freddy had nothing today on his fastball and is coming off a huge workload season where his velocity was down a bit as it was.  And the Buehrle giving up 3 run leads thing is something that started a while ago and was seen as recent as his last start (game 2 of the World Series.)

My apologies for bringing up discussion points, I'll make sure to be the eternal happy guy and start all encouraging threads from now on.

The Freddy thread's a bit more warranted.

However, I guess I just have to accept it's the way you are. I've noticed from the CBB forum and here that you're very extreme on your opinions. You have no apprehension of throwing people under the bus when s*** hits the fan.

I'm not saying you're a bad fan at all, but it appears you've got a little Peyton Manning in you.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
For a bag of balls?  LOL, you got my award for illogical post of the day.

Since when is a solid starting pitcher only worth a bag of balls? You don't think that anybody would be willing to trade away a couple relievers for a workhorse like Garcia in July? :wacko:

It's too early to be talking about this anyway.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
The Freddy thread's a bit more warranted. 

However, I guess I just have to accept it's the way you are.  I've noticed from the CBB forum and here that you're very extreme on your opinions.  You have no apprehension of throwing people under the bus when s*** hits the fan. 

I'm not saying you're a bad fan at all, but it appears you've got a little Peyton Manning in you.

The Buehrle thread probably wasn't warranted, but it's something that bothred me all last year about him. I swear he probably had about a 2.2 ERA in all situations where we didn't have a 3 run lead. I guess it's hard to tell through the internet, I'm not even close to mad, just an observation.

And my MLB opinions don't relate to my CBB ones at all, baseball doesn't have crooked refs (well umps in this case) and people who cheat in recruiting. And actually, the only reason I started that Buehrle thread was a few of my friends agreed with me about the Buehrle thing. Mind you, he's my favorite player on the team by far, so I worry because I care. :P

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
Wow if I had known somebody would say trade Garcia, I'd have avoided this thread alltogether.

:rolly

Nobody has advocated a Garcia trade. I simply pointed out that we have more than enough pitching depth to absorb a bad year from one of our starters.

My only complaint is why would we pitch Freddy for the 2nd game. If based only on last years performance, Contreras and Garland both pitched better. Freddy is always better on the road. Not too worried about the actual performance of Freddy, but why Ozzie and Cooper set the rotation this way.

QUOTE(Fourofakind @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
My only complaint is why would we pitch Freddy for the 2nd game.  If based only on last years performance, Contreras and Garland both pitched better.  Freddy is always better on the road.  Not too worried about the actual performance of Freddy, but why Ozzie and Cooper set the rotation this way.

That puzzles me as well. It's my understanding that Contreras had a nagging injury in ST, so that may explain why he isn't on the mound today. But certainly Garland or Vazquez could've pitched today.

I don't know what it is, but Freddy tends to suck balls at The Cell.

Freddie's going to be just fine. He just had a bat outing -- not unlike some other starters the last couple of days (Zambrano, Zito). What's really exciting is that we now get to throw our third starter at the Tribe to try and win the series, and that guy's name is Jose Contreras. Then we go on to the next series and get to throw Garland, Buerhle and Vazquez! If the team were built around two or three good starters, those particular starts become more important because you want to make sure you win the games when your best pitchers are on the mound. We can absorb a bad start better than a lot of teams because of the pitching depth we have.

I'm more concerned about Freddy than Mark. Freddy didn't get his velocity up and Hawk and DJ said that he hasn't quite had the same velocity throughout the WBC and spring training. Hopefully it improves. I'm disappointed in our starters thus far, but with the offense we got today, even a solid effort from Freddy would still probably be a losing effort.