Freddy Today

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm more concerned about Freddy than Mark. Freddy didn't get his velocity up and Hawk and DJ said that he hasn't quite had the same velocity throughout the WBC and spring training. Hopefully it improves. I'm disappointed in our starters thus far, but with the offense we got today, even a solid effort from Freddy would still probably be a losing effort.

Freddy is really the only one I'm concerned about. That and making sure Jon keeps his control, but it's a lot easier to lose velocity after a ton of innings than control.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small update...some of us are having a wee bit of difficulty figuring out exactly what Freddy was throwing...the CSN gun had him in the mid to high 80's, but the CSN gun seemed to disagree with what the stadium gun was saying when Logan, Cotts, and Jenks were in there.

Anywho, Freddy did get hammered, and Hawk & DJ did say he was throwing a bit slow.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm disappointed in our starters thus far, but with the offense we got today, even a solid effort from Freddy would still probably be a losing effort.

Gotta give some props to Westbrook for limiting our offense to just six hits and two runs. I checked the ESPN Gamecast and it seemed like his sinker must have been working because there were an inordinate number of groundouts.

by the way you've all failed to mention that hawk and dj said he was TRYING to throw the slower stuff and work his control, location, curve etc. that he was going at this from a new approach - an approach i think is ridiculous... but a new approach all the same.

i dont think anything is physically wrong with freddy.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
by the way you've all failed to mention that hawk and dj said he was TRYING to throw the slower stuff and work his control, location, curve etc.  that he was going at this from a new approach - an approach i think is ridiculous... but a new approach all the same.

If it's an approach issue, then I hope it is scrapped quickly if these results persist.

by the way you've all failed to mention that hawk and dj said he was TRYING to throw the slower stuff and work his control, location, curve etc.  that he was going at this from a new approach - an approach i think is ridiculous... but a new approach all the same.

Well I didn't hear it this way, they said (as I heard it) that he was only throwing 89 tops, I don't recall them saying he was doing it on purpose, but either way we'll find out soon enough. Ozzie and KW will check into it. They aren't gonna panic but they'll find out the reason.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)

Well he can try that approach if he wants, but it's not going to work. He's had a great career by using his hard fastball to set off his nasty off speed stuff and get guys off balance. If he's throwing 88 instead of low to mid 90's, he's in for a rude awakening when those 82 MPH curves are smacked into the left field bullpen.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
i just wish he was more aggresive.  Its like he can throw hard, but hes always tinkering around with his breaking stuff.

He doesn't throw as hard as he did in Seattle because he can't locate as well. I'll take somebody that slows down to throw strikes over someone like Matt Thronton any day.

Edited by WCSox

Freddy's on record saying that he purposely doesn't throw as hard as he used to so that he can locate his pitches better.

He better start throwing hard instead. His located high 80's fastball is just going to get hit hard.

And the only time we should consider trading Garcia is after the season. Trading Garcia and moving McCarthy into the rotation would just weaken our bullpen. We also wouldn't have a fallback starter in case someone got injured.

Edited by SSH2005

Freddy was pitching half-assed his last spring training tune-up and everyone even Hawk and DJ were laughing saying he was ready to go. Obviously, he wasn't. If taking 5-7 mph of his fastball is his new approach, considering the success he has had in MLB, I would think the change isn't voluntary. Either his arm strength isn't there yet, or he has lost a few feet on it. He wasn't exactly locating very well today. Its one start, and no need to be concerned yet, but if he goes out there with the same stuff a few more times, I think a surgeon may be called.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
I'm not saying throw fastball after fastball, but i think he could mix it up a little better.

Well that's another part of the issue if what we saw today is a trend and not just a short term issue. You can only throw a fastball on occasion when it's 88 since anybody can hit an 88 fastball when they expect it. So not only is his velocity way down, but it messes with his entire pitch pattern and how much he throws certain stuff.

QUOTE(Fourofakind @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
My only complaint is why would we pitch Freddy for the 2nd game.  If based only on last years performance, Contreras and Garland both pitched better.  Freddy is always better on the road.  Not too worried about the actual performance of Freddy, but why Ozzie and Cooper set the rotation this way.

Not sure, but perhaps Ozzie & Coop looked over the schedule, and Garcia may end up with more road starts in the #2 spot?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
And the only time we should consider trading Garcia is after the season.  Trading Garcia and moving McCarthy into the rotation would just weaken our bullpen.  We also wouldn't have a fallback starter in case someone got injured.

If Garcia continues to suck balls going into July, it might make sense to unload him before his value goes down any further. If we could get a couple veteran relievers for him, moving McCarthy into the #5 spot might not be the worst thing. I've never been that high on Freddy... he's way too inconsistent for a guy that makes $8-$9 million/year. And he never seems to pitch well at home.

That said, it's only one game. If it's just a temporary issue (dead arm) and he returns to form by May, I want him here for the remainder of the season.

Edited by WCSox

Boers and Berstein are on The Score and are also talking about Freddy's weak velocity today and how out-of-shape he looked on the mound. They are saying that he was throwing like Maddux and how that wasn't the same Garcia today.

Something tells me that Freddy being out of shape isn't going to shave 5 MPH off of his fastball.

It's got to be either a "dead arm" issue or some sort of injury.  Hopefully the former.

People who were at the game are calling up The Score and talking about how horrible and out-of-shape he looked on the mound. They are saying he lost 4 MPH off his fastball. If it's because he is trying to locate more by throwing with less velocity, he better go back to his old way of pitching. Mid to high 80 MPH fastballs get roped unless you have Maddux-like control.