let's talk about this horrid radio tandem

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Maybe that was the plan - to Make Ed sound good by comparing him to Chris.  :bang

I agree it's going too take time for them to gel.  But I also agree it was a tough broadcast to listen to today.

I particularly get the feeling Chris doesn't like Ffarmer riding him about semantics issues – 'how could I have left you if you got to the boot first?', and 'is all memorabelia unique?' are two that come to mind from this afternoon.  Also I think he rubbed Chris (an ordained minister, iirc) the wrong way when he asked him why some players point to the sky after hitting a homerun.

I think Chris already wants to punch Ed out.  :fight  :fight

Yeah he was giving him alot of s*** for no reason, im feeling sorry for chris already and its along long season.

I guess I'm the only one, although I'll admit I didn't hear him a whole lot, who didn't want to bang Rooney on account of his voice.

I don't want to bang Rooney either but I listen to a lot of games on the radio. It would be nice to at least have some competent play-by-play. I don't even know what the hell is going on when Singleton is doing the play-by-play because he's so slow to spit it out. And Farmer is not a good play-by-play guy either. It just seems like such a hack-job to move a color man to do play-by-play (when he isn't very good at it) and then to hire a guy with no experience whatsoever to be your new color man. I could see this happening years ago but not after the team wins the World Series. The standards should have been much higher.

Part of it has to do with the fact that Farmer isn't any good. This may not be a good radio duo, but at the same time I think a lot of people overhyped Rooney/Farmer.

Rooney had some amazing calls during the post-season and by and large they were a good crew but It wasn't as if they were Vin Scully or anything like that.

Give me Vin Scully in his old and senile days anyday of the week over anyone the Sox run out there.

It was a poor move on the Score's part, but the poorest part wasn't hiring Singleton it was trying to move Farmer to a position he stinks at, instead of keeping him at a position he was mediocre at and finding someone to come in and replace Rooney (leaving Farmer as is).

They need a 3rd man in the booth if Farmer and Singleton is going to work.

I wonder what Dave Wills contract status is? I think he signed a 2 year deal. So, after this season he should be free to talk to other teams

I think if they could get him, or at the very least someone who can take control of the broadcast and pitch it to Farmer/Singleton it'd be better.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Part of it has to do with the fact that Farmer isn't any good.  This may not be a good radio duo, but at the same time I think a lot of people overhyped Rooney/Farmer. 

Rooney had some amazing calls during the post-season and by and large they were a good crew but It wasn't as if they were Vin Scully or anything like that. 

Give me Vin Scully in his old and senile days anyday of the week over anyone the Sox run out there.

It was a poor move on the Score's part, but the poorest part wasn't hiring Singleton it was trying to move Farmer to a position he stinks at, instead of keeping him at a position he was mediocre at and finding someone to come in and replace Rooney (leaving Farmer as is).

Well put, I said it before.. Rooney was at his best when doing "games of the week brodcasts" dont know if Farmer is just that bad, that made Rooneys level go down when they did Sox games, but national games, he was on. Plaind and simple, no way around it... Farmer Sucks!

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
no chemistry, stepping all over each other's lines, some dead air followed by awkward transitions, lots of stuttering and staggering, missed pitches, delayed calls on the action while singleton tries to sew two or three words together

you just described why they should be given time to work it out before you jump all over them. do you think that 2 guys that have never been in the positions they're in, are going to step in and work together like 2 guys that have done it for 15 years?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Part of it has to do with the fact that Farmer isn't any good.  This may not be a good radio duo, but at the same time I think a lot of people overhyped Rooney/Farmer. 

I always hated Vin Scully. His voice, to me, is like nails on a chalkboard.

I had to listen a couple of innings and it may be the worst baseball on radio I ever heard Singleton next thought will be his first, Farmer he sucked when Rooney took a couple of innings off but to listen to him full-time doing play by play is BRUTAL. :puke

Farmer is an opinion thing like Hawk. He is not great but he works. Putting him at PBP was a huge mistake.

Has North spoken of this since they have gone on the air? Has he been silent on the issue? How about Mack and Harry?

The SCORE is a very poorly run operation. The station in my mind is unlistenable.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
Farmer is an opinion thing like Hawk.  He is not great but he works.  Putting him at PBP was a huge mistake.

Has North spoken of this since they have gone on the air?  Has he been silent on the issue?  How about Mack and Harry?

The SCORE is a very poorly run operation.  The station in my mind is unlistenable.

Between the hours of 6 AM - 6 PM I just can not listen to the score. Every single one of their personalities drives me absolutely nuts. No one more so than Mike North and murphy, I despise those guys. Boers and Bernstein wouldn't be soo bad if they weren't dicks to every single caller that dared to call in. However, I think their late night guys are pretty good . Lawrence Holmes, Zach Saban, another producer/host, those guys almost always put on pretty good shows and arent arrogant unlistenable pricks like the rest of their station.

Its simply terrible-ALL because of 670-and this broadcast so defines everything ever done by that station whatever frequency it has been on. Its worse than any minor league broadcast I ever heard. A major market should not have to endure this type of broadcast. Its disturbing and a downright disgrace. And making it worse are the unending fast talking, screaming and redundant promo's by irritating program hosts for that station at every interval. Its a worse experience than I ever thought it would be.

Edited by klaus kinski

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 06:07 AM)
Farmer is an opinion thing like Hawk.  He is not great but he works.  Putting him at PBP was a huge mistake.

I wouldn't say that he's terrible at play-by-play, but he's definitely a better color commentator.

FWIW, I think that Singleton is better than DJ was when he started. Granted, that's not saying much, but I could actually stand to listen to DJ after a year or so.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
I wouldn't say that he's terrible at play-by-play, but he's definitely a better color commentator.

FWIW, I think that Singleton is better than DJ was when he started.  Granted, that's not saying much, but I could actually stand to listen to DJ after a year or so.

I don't think Singleton is that bad. Everyone's mad because Rooney is gone, which is totally understandable. I bet that after a few months, we'll get used to Singleton and Farmer in the booth. I really don't think they're that bad. In fact, I might go so far as to say that they're better than Hawk and DJ (which, I understand, is not saying much. I will say, however, that I love hearing Hawk talk about "Country Strong" Thome/call his home run bombs.)

But I digress...

Bottom line is that Singleton is no DJ and that Singleton and Farmer have only been working together for TWO regular season games.

Let's have the discussion in June and see where we stand.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't think Singleton is that bad.  Everyone's mad because Rooney is gone, which is totally understandable.  I bet that after a few months, we'll get used to Singleton and Farmer in the booth.  I really don't think they're that bad.  In fact, I might go so far as to say that they're better than Hawk and DJ

Not sure about that, but agreed that Singleton isn't that bad.

I'll say that while Singleton may very well become a decent radio guy someday, today's not that day, and that day won't come soon.

He is quite brutal right now. Stumbles on his words A LOT, tries to stretch a point and winds up confusing himself, and is particularly awful when allowed to do PBP.

He'll probably grow into a perfectly fine color analyst given the time to hone the craft, but he really should have been assigned to a minor-league team to do his apprenticeship.