Sox vs. Indians - 4/5 Game Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
I actually like what I see out of Boone to be honest.  Thornton still worries me more then Logan.  Boone is going to be solid this year for us.

The nice part was that after he gave up that homer, the first pitch he threw was a damn good slider to Victor Martinez. While I would have preferred to stick with the hot hand I have no problem in Ozzie giving these guys shots to prove themselves.

He did it last year with numerous guys and it left us shaking our heads, but as the season went on he figured out who would crap there pants in those situations (and they would be gone or seldomly used) and who would rise to the top.

It may cost us some games early on, but it'll also better prepare us for the latter part of the season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Its also how he has used Cotts and McCarthy before as well... but no one remembers that right now.

Mike,

Cotts was a starter who was converted into a reliever. He was in the majors for a few years before he made it to the back of the pen. Marte was the guy being tossed in the fire last year, Cotts was used in the 6th and 7th before pitching his way into the back of the pen when Marte failed.

McCarthy was a starter. He didnt relieve until 2 2 hit games against boston and texas. Then he came in to mop up after El Duque got rocked.

Cotts/Politte/ Jenks --- 2 games in 4 days there is no reason why they shouldn't have come in. Boone Logan is the last man in the pen, there is no reason whatsoever to bring him in the 8th when leading by one to face one of the best hitters in baseball. Thorton pitched well Sunday and if not one of those three he should have been in there. Also Logan pitched well yesterday but threw two innings. He should not have been in there.

Oh, and we have not not take the bat oout of Thome's hands EVER. Iguchi also had two hits today. If you want to move Pods over have him steal, bunting was stupid right there.