Obama Scolds Bush On Environment

BigSqwert

Link

Obama scolds Bush on environment, energy proposals

Senator calls plans `not a serious effort'

By John Chase

Tribune staff reporter

Published April 4, 2006

Sen. Barack Obama delivered a blistering attack on President Bush's environmental policies Monday, saying the president's recent plan to end the nation's reliance on oil was "not a serious effort" and that the world faces devastation if it doesn't address worsening climate changes.

Speaking in Chicago at a luncheon of The Associated Press, Obama (D-Ill.) said the U.S. government must invest more in renewable fuels, encourage advancements in the coal industry to reduce carbon emissions and place tighter restrictions on oil imports.

Obama said he initially was hopeful when Bush said during his State of the Union address in January that the U.S. must end its reliance on oil, "but then I saw the plan."

"His funding for renewable fuels is at the same level it was the day he took office. He refuses to call for even a modest increase in fuel-efficiency standards for cars. And his latest budget funds less than half of the energy bill that he himself signed into law--leaving hundreds of millions of dollars in underfunded energy proposals," Obama said.

"This is not a serious effort. Saying that America is addicted to oil without following a real plan for energy independence is like admitting alcoholism and then skipping the 12-step program."

Obama said the Bush administration has practiced a "stubborn refusal" to admit a need for change.

Officials with the Republican National Committee said Obama's criticisms are misguided.

"Senator Obama seems to be advocating a policy enacted by President Bush and is now using it to attack Republicans," said Ann Marie Hauser, a committee spokeswoman.

"Obama's `stubborn refusal' to acknowledge the facts about the energy bill the president signed into law is disturbing, in particular those that focus on energy-efficient vehicles, renewable energy sources and less reliance on foreign sources of fuel," she said.

Obama's comments came as part of a series of policy addresses to show the breadth of his interests after a year in office.

In recent months he has called for the U.S. to begin a gradual withdrawal of troops from Iraq and for major reforms on ethics. He also has given several talks on the environment, saying the nation's reliance on oil is having a negative effect on the economy and is jeopardizing national security.

"And when it comes to climate change, it's the fossil fuels we insist on burning--particularly oil--that are the single greatest cause of global warming and the damaging weather patterns that have been its result," he said Monday.

"Climate change may be unleashing the forces of nature," Obama said, "but we can't forget that this has been accelerated by man and can be slowed by man too."

Obama called for $100-per-vehicle federal tax credit to cover automakers' costs of installing flexible-fuel tanks. He also called for giving consumers a 35-cent tax credit for every gallon they use of E85, a fuel blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline.

Obama also pushed for legislation to help pay for some retiree health-care costs for U.S. automakers in exchange for those companies promising to spend those savings on building more environmental friendly vehicles.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
Link

Obama scolds Bush on environment, energy proposals

Senator calls plans `not a serious effort'

And he's right. The budget doesn't fund the plan. And even the plan itself is lacking.

Its amazing to me how little we hear about this issue. There are few things more important that the damage were doing to our own environment (and to ourselves in the process), and our dependence on foreign energy.

Just got home and got a letter from John McCain regarding taking action to fight global warming. I was quite happy to see that. Seems like the environment has been the Democrat's fight for the most part. I'd like to see a strong bi-partisan effort on this since it's so vital. Less talk and more action!

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
Just got home and got a letter from John McCain regarding taking action to fight global warming.  I was quite happy to see that.  Seems like the environment has been the Democrat's fight for the most part.  I'd like to see a strong bi-partisan effort on this since it's so vital.  Less talk and more action!

yea, that will happen

QUOTE(samclemens @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
yea, that will happen

That's the attitude that will ensure that little will be done. The more pressure the public puts on the politicians the better the chance of some actual change.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
That's the attitude that will ensure that little will be done.  The more pressure the public puts on the politicians the better the chance of some actual change.

And therein lies one of the major reasons why environmental protection is swept under the rug - the consequences may be dire, but there is no apparent immediacy to the average American. They won't react until its too late.

That, and the fact that anything which has a result horizon that is measured in decades, tends to be avoided by politicians. They could care less (on the whole) about how the country is left in 20 years by the actions this term.

Hopefully we are approaching the point where both parties should set aside their differences and concentrate on making some progress on the environment issue.

If three dollar a gallan gas doesn't force the issue more, I don't know what will

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Hopefully we are approaching the point where both parties should set aside their differences and concentrate on making some progress on the environment issue.

If three dollar a gallan gas doesn't force the issue more, I don't know what will

Dude, you're forgetting 1 key point...there are very powerful forces in this country who absolutely adore the idea of $3 gas...and I'm not talking about environmentalists who shrug their shoulders and say "well maybe it's a good thing."