Possible Leadoff-man Acquisitions

whitesox247

IMO, one of the biggest steps that the Sox should take is to get themselves a true leadoff man with speed and good OBP.

I think Jason Tyner from the DRays would be a nice acquisition for us. Hes a young outfielder and I believe could be a true leadoff man for us in the future. He can swipe a lot of bases and get on base, I'd like to compare him to Juan Pierre. Hes been up and down from AAA to the majors and I dont think it would take much to get him.

If you know other good young players that we might/should acquire, put 'em here.

The question about Tyner is, can he get on base?

So far, I don't think he's been able to consistently get on base with the D-Rays, especially last season when many people thought he'd have a solid season.

He would be worth the risk, but I wouldn't give up much to get him.

RICKEY HENDERSON, LOZLZL!!!

Sadly, he is actually the best bet for a good leadoff hitter.

The sad part is you are right. With the Sox's spending habits, they may go fishing after Rickey but hell lets hope not.

Is Castillo a free agent after this year? I'm not sure but let go of Valentin;I love the guy's attitude and heart but the BA is a little low for a number 2 hitter. Leave Jimenez at 2nd and Castillo at SS if he has the range.

Is Castillo a free agent after this year? I'm not sure but let go of Valentin;I love the guy's attitude and heart but the BA is a little low for a number 2 hitter. Leave Jimenez at 2nd and Castillo at SS if he has the range.

Castillo can't play SS, case closed.

IMO, one of the biggest steps that the Sox should take is to get themselves a true leadoff man with speed and good OBP.

I think Jason Tyner from the DRays would be a nice acquisition for us. Hes a young outfielder and I believe could be a true leadoff man for us in the future. He can swipe a lot of bases and get on base, I'd like to compare him to Juan Pierre. Hes been up and down from AAA to the majors and I dont think it would take much to get him.

If you know other good young players that we might/should acquire, put 'em here.

Last time a checked Jimenez was doing a very good job as a leadoff hitter. He does everything you want from a leadoff guy. He works the count(you see a lot of 4,5,6+ pitch AB's with him), he draws walks, he is hitting for a good average(this plus his walks equals above average OBP), he puts the ball into play(doesn't strikeout much), handles the bat well(ie can bunt ect.), and has good speed(JM hasn't given the green light to run much but he has 15+ SB potential). Tell me again why you think the Sox need to go after a leadoff hitter? Maybe a #2 hitter, although Reed down in the minors looks like he will be a perfect #2 hitter if he continues to develop. The Sox problem is the lack of consistant offensive from the middle of the order. Jimenez has probably been the Sox most consistant offensive player. I think the Sox problems are else where.

Kenny Lofton is having a good season

I think the problem is we have no reliable #2 hitter.  Someone to get em over for the big boppers.

And, right now, I think we have a great 2-hole hitter.

The problem is, he is hitting leadoff right now.

Yes. The Marlins won't be able to afford his contract so he will be dealt to a contender by July 31st.

CWSOX45

He's one of the best leadoff men in the game, but we don't need a second baseman.

we don't?Let's face it-Jiminez is average at best-on a good day.

But I don't see lead-off as being a priority right now.The top of the order hsa been getting on-it's the 3-4-5-6 that's been killing us.How many times have we gotten runners on-nobody out-and they're stranded?!

We need some good rbi guys-clutch hitters.The problem is that we already have them-they're just not doing the job.........

This will be a tough team to fix.

K-Y

we don't?Let's face it-Jiminez is average at best-on a good day.

But I don't see lead-off as being a priority right now.The top of the order hsa been getting on-it's the 3-4-5-6 that's been killing us.How many times have we gotten runners on-nobody out-and they're stranded?!

We need some good rbi guys-clutch hitters.The problem is that we already have them-they're just not doing the job.........

K-Y

Are you talking about the singer D'Angelo, because the D'Angelo that I have seen playing for the Sox is certainly above average and a perfect fit for the leadoff spot. Not only has he been the most consistant offensive player for the season, but he does everything average or better for a 2nd baseman except play D. A good #2 hitter is needed, but if Reed keeps developing in the minors he would fit perfectly in the #2 hole.

we don't?

K-Y

Let's face it-Jiminez is average at best-on a good day

I face the truth when I see it. I see none in that statement.

We need some good rbi guys-clutch hitters.The problem is that we already have them-they're just not doing the job

Damned right. We've got the pieces in place, IMO, but some of the pieces are kinda twisted and bent at this point in time.

why does a player have to put GREAT numbers to be good to some people?

Jimenez isn't average at best on a good day?

first of all, on his good day he's goes 3-4 with a double, walk, RBI, two runs scored. not an average day. second, his bad day (0-4) is still more productive than most guys on this teams 2-4 day. He has good 0-4 games, which sadly is never considered in baseball. Let's face it, no player in baseball is going to hit every day. Most players in baseball carry a .260-270 average, which means they are getting outs 74% of the time. I would love taking Jimenez 74% of outs over a lot of guys for the fact that he rarely swings at bad pitches, takes a lot of pitches, has great composure and such a level and consistent swing. Jimenez is a guy who will go 0-4 with a walk, 25 pitches seen, a line out, and two groundouts and/or fly outs to the right side that will allow a man on second to get to third.

that is the difference, a good 0-4 game.

Several of my esteemed compadres here at SoxNet have rais ed interesting possibilities for a lead off man. However, any player we get must move someone out and takeover that position in the field. Where do we need to make a real change? Wherever you look in the line up, or whomever you look at in the line up has pluses and minuses. Really I don't think Jimenez has done that bad, but you would like to see more speed. I would like to see more use of the hit & run, if we are not going to steal bases. CF is one place to look at, but it seems Manuel is going to give Borchard more time and thus a chance to show what he can do. I think Ricky Henderson might be a real choice, but where do you play him? Maybe RF and then move Maggs to CF? Borchard would have to go down to Charlotte then.

Several of my esteemed compadres here at SoxNet have rais ed interesting possibilities for a lead off man. However, any player we get must move someone out and takeover that position in the field. Where do we need to make a real change? Wherever you look in the line up, or whomever you look at in the line up has pluses and minuses. Really I don't think Jimenez has done that bad, but you would like to see more speed. I would like to see more use of the hit & run, if we are not going to steal bases. CF is one place to look at, but it seems Manuel is going to give Borchard more time and thus a chance to show what he can do. I think Ricky Henderson might be a real choice, but where do you play him? Maybe RF and then move Maggs to CF? Borchard would have to go down to Charlotte then.

How can anyone think that Jimenez has been bad or even average AS A LEADOFF HITTER? This guy is 3rd in MLB in OBP last I looked, he is seeing a ton of pitches per AB, and has done a great job in front of the #2 and #3 spots that had been hitting about .240 between them, until Lee was moved up there last week.

Granted I think Jimenez would be an ideal #2 hitter, if we had someone with speed to hit lead off. The guy is 3rd in the league for least %age of pictches swung and missed. He is a great hit and run guy. We teach him how to bunt and he would have it all.

But in the absence of a true lead off hitter DA is the best that we have.

How can anyone think that Jimenez has been bad or even average AS A LEADOFF HITTER?  This guy is 3rd in MLB in OBP last I looked, he is seeing a ton of pitches per AB, and has done a great job in front of the #2 and #3 spots that had been hitting about .240 between them, until Lee was moved up there last week.

Granted I think Jimenez would be an ideal #2 hitter, if we had someone with speed to hit lead off.  The guy is 3rd in the league for least %age of pictches swung and missed.  He is a great hit and run guy.  We teach him how to bunt and he would have it all.

DJ is 39th in MLB for OBP. more then 100 pts off the lead.

How can anyone think that Jimenez has been bad or even average AS A LEADOFF HITTER?  This guy is 3rd in MLB in OBP last I looked, he is seeing a ton of pitches per AB, and has done a great job in front of the #2 and #3 spots that had been hitting about .240 between them, until Lee was moved up there last week.

Granted I think Jimenez would be an ideal #2 hitter, if we had someone with speed to hit lead off.  The guy is 3rd in the league for least %age of pictches swung and missed.  He is a great hit and run guy.  We teach him how to bunt and he would have it all.

That should have been for lead off hitters, sorry...

That should have been for lead off hitters, sorry...

heheh, i figured :P

DJ is a decent lead-off man. But a GREAT 2nd hitter.... would prefer someone with more speed to leadoff... like Yan...