Possible Leadoff-man Acquisitions

whitesox247

I admit DLo has been the most consistent on our team so far, but he just doesnt seem like the ideal leadoff man to me. I guess the top reason is that he doesnt steal bases and doesnt walk. And also, hes a very bad baserunner and his defense aint that great. He has just 2 steals on the season, while being caught 3 times. We need a guy that can get on base, steal bases, make the pitcher unfocused, and make things happen.

Melvin Mora would be a good Pickup to Play Center

I would love to have Mora on our team. He has speed and very good defense. He can play virtually every position except pitcher or catcher, but the chances of us getting the MLB batting average leader is slim to none.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bringing up this thread from a while ago. Another leadoff guy that I think we could get is Brian Roberts from Baltimore. Hes leading off right now and playing second base for them since Jerry Hairston's injured. This guy is an ideal leadoff man, and has good defense. I think we all realize now how bad DLo really sucks and we cant afford to keep him any longer if we're serious about winning. I think we could package a deal getting Ponson and Roberts. Or the easier way, we could just call up Aaron Miles.

why does a player have to put GREAT numbers to be good to some people?

Jimenez isn't average at best on a good day?

first of all, on his good day he's goes 3-4 with a double, walk, RBI, two runs scored.  not an average day.  second, his bad day (0-4) is still more productive than most guys on this teams 2-4 day.  He has good 0-4 games, which sadly is never considered in baseball.  Let's face it, no player in baseball is going to hit every day.  Most players in baseball carry a .260-270 average, which means they are getting outs 74% of the time.  I would love taking Jimenez 74% of outs over a lot of guys for the fact that he rarely swings at bad pitches, takes a lot of pitches, has great composure and such a level and consistent swing.  Jimenez is a guy who will go 0-4 with a walk, 25 pitches seen, a line out, and two groundouts and/or fly outs to the right side that will allow a man on second to get to third.

that is the difference, a good 0-4 game.

When are you gona get off his band wagon? He can hit, i'll give him that, but he cant do anything else. my defense off teh top of my head in teh past 3 days is not reading teh ball saturday when he should have scored . Should have been the game there without having to go 11 innings. And yesterday with his bare handed bulls*** on a routine dp that almost cost the sox the game vs, the scrubs. This is not just fluke s*** that happens to him. he makes BAD decisions a lot , has a real hard time turning routine dp's cant run bases, no range, and just plain stupid. Young players do need to develop, but i cant remember any player as dumb as him that all the sudden got smart.

1983 the sox had 1 added player that put a charge into them. It was a similar season. they looked like s*** in the 1st half and picked up Julio cruz who was a fire plug speedster who gave his all and fired that team up.

Aron Miles might be the same type of guy for 2003. Miles has never been called "stupid and Lazy" by other organizations.Give him a shot. And if Jiminez is worth so much with all this bottled up talent, why are we the only team that wanted him?

How can anyone think that Jimenez has been bad or even average AS A LEADOFF HITTER?  This guy is 3rd in MLB in OBP last I looked, he is seeing a ton of pitches per AB, and has done a great job in front of the #2 and #3 spots that had been hitting about .240 between them, until Lee was moved up there last week.

Granted I think Jimenez would be an ideal #2 hitter, if we had someone with speed to hit lead off.  The guy is 3rd in the league for least %age of pictches swung and missed.  He is a great hit and run guy.  We teach him how to bunt and he would have it all.

But in the absence of a true lead off hitter DA is the best that we have.

DJ is 39th in MLB for OBP. more then 100 pts off the lead.

That should have been for lead off hitters, sorry...

Not even close:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&hand=a&pos=all

How can anyone think that Jimenez has been bad or even average AS A LEADOFF HITTER?  This guy is 3rd in MLB in OBP last I looked, he is seeing a ton of pitches per AB, and has done a great job in front of the #2 and #3 spots that had been hitting about .240 between them, until Lee was moved up there last week.

Granted I think Jimenez would be an ideal #2 hitter, if we had someone with speed to hit lead off.  The guy is 3rd in the league for least %age of pictches swung and missed.  He is a great hit and run guy.  We teach him how to bunt and he would have it all.

But in the absence of a true lead off hitter DA is the best that we have.

DJ is 39th in MLB for OBP. more then 100 pts off the lead.

That should have been for lead off hitters, sorry...

Not even close:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&hand=a&pos=all

Go back and read the date on the post. it is from June 1st. After the awful June that Jimenez had, things have changed a lot.

why does a player have to put GREAT numbers to be good to some people?

Jimenez isn't average at best on a good day?

first of all, on his good day he's goes 3-4 with a double, walk, RBI, two runs scored.  not an average day.  second, his bad day (0-4) is still more productive than most guys on this teams 2-4 day.  He has good 0-4 games, which sadly is never considered in baseball.  Let's face it, no player in baseball is going to hit every day.  Most players in baseball carry a .260-270 average, which means they are getting outs 74% of the time.  I would love taking Jimenez 74% of outs over a lot of guys for the fact that he rarely swings at bad pitches, takes a lot of pitches, has great composure and such a level and consistent swing.  Jimenez is a guy who will go 0-4 with a walk, 25 pitches seen, a line out, and two groundouts and/or fly outs to the right side that will allow a man on second to get to third.

that is the difference, a good 0-4 game.

When are you gona get off his band wagon? He can hit, i'll give him that, but he cant do anything else. my defense off teh top of my head in teh past 3 days is not reading teh ball saturday when he should have scored . Should have been the game there without having to go 11 innings. And yesterday with his bare handed bulls*** on a routine dp that almost cost the sox the game vs, the scrubs. This is not just fluke s*** that happens to him. he makes BAD decisions a lot , has a real hard time turning routine dp's cant run bases, no range, and just plain stupid. Young players do need to develop, but i cant remember any player as dumb as him that all the sudden got smart.

1983 the sox had 1 added player that put a charge into them. It was a similar season. they looked like s*** in the 1st half and picked up Julio cruz who was a fire plug speedster who gave his all and fired that team up.

Aron Miles might be the same type of guy for 2003. Miles has never been called "stupid and Lazy" by other organizations.Give him a shot. And if Jiminez is worth so much with all this bottled up talent, why are we the only team that wanted him?

Great post, and I agree wholeheartedly. I also personally feel that Willie Harris could be the Julio Cruz of the this year, as well as Aaron Miles.