Report: Davis interviews with UAB

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...301/1004/SPORTS

Report: Davis interviews with UAB

Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Former Indiana coach Mike Davis interviewed with UAB officials for the vacant head coaching job, according to The Birmingham News.

Davis met for more than three hours at a hotel in Nashville on Tuesday with interim athletic director Richard Margison and two other UAB athletic officials, the newspaper reported today.

He is believed to be the front-runner for the job, which opened when Mike Anderson left to become coach at Missouri.

Anthony Grant, an associate head coach with NCAA champion Florida, is also believed to be one of the leading candidates.

The Associated Press left a message for Davis today on his cell phone. Grant declined comment on the UAB job.

Davis, 45, is a native of Fayette who played for Alabama. He led the Hoosiers to the 2002 national championship game just two seasons after being hired following the firing of Bob Knight.

The only Indiana coach to win 20 games in each of his first three seasons, he was 115-79 in six seasons.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
That makes sense...his recruiting prowess and the ol "I used to coach Indiana" slogan could really go well in Alabama.

I just hope DJ doesnt' decide to follow him.

Supposedly DJ's responded well to Sampson so far; I'm not too worried about him leaving. I think Vaden would probably follow Davis though, if he got the job.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
Supposedly DJ's responded well to Sampson so far; I'm not too worried about him leaving.  I think Vaden would probably follow Davis though, if he got the job.

Yeah, I think I could see that pretty easily too...Vaden has already played 2 healthy seasons, and doesn't stand to be nearly as high of a draft pick as DJ could be if he played a dynamite season next year and, if necessary, the year after. DJ can't afford to lose a season, Vaden probably could. At least that's what I'd tell them both.

UAB interviewed Florida Assistant Coach Anthony Grant today. The UAB job seems to be between those two only at this point. Rumor here has it, the job is all but Davis' if they get everything worked out.

According to local sources, Grant would have really had to make a huge impression for that to change.

Vaden and Mike Davis Jr going to UAB according to Davis Jr. Here's part of it...

At Friday's press conference welcoming Davis as the new UAB coach, Davis Jr., a sophomore walk-on on the Hoosiers' roster, confirmed that he and Vaden would join his father in Birmingham.

Davis Jr. and Vaden are good friends as the two attended the same prep school, Bridgton Academy in Maine, for a year. With the recent loss of his father, Vaden said Davis has become a father figure to him.

Davis Jr. said he was unsure of sophomore D.J. White's intentions.