Not to sound too critical

sox-r-us

It is a one run game, and with Travis Hafner on, he decides to sit McCarthy after one great inning to get Boone freaking Logan????

Yeah I understand the lefty-lefty matchup but come on Ozzie.......this was asking for trouble.....and the game is tied

Kenny better find a way to improve this bullpen somewhere at the deadline. Or we are not going anywhere. Why was trading Marte for Mackowiack that important?????

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
It is a one run game, and with Travis Hafner on, he decides to sit McCarthy after one great inning to get Boone freaking Logan????

Yeah I understand the lefty-lefty matchup but come on Ozzie.......this was asking for trouble.....and the game is tied

Kenny better find a way to improve this bullpen somewhere at the deadline. Or we are not going anywhere. Why was trading Marte for Mackowiack that important?????

Ya, Marte would have came in, plunked Hafner and then let up a double to Martinez. Same f'n thing. I will agree though, I'm not exactly sure why Boone was in when Neal is ready to go but there is no need to make a new thread everytime the manager or someone on the team makes a mistake.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
FIRE OZZIE!!!!!

:D

I knew I would be flamed for this, but what the heck. I am worried about our bullpen. We had one of the best in the game and there was NO NEED to do anything to it. I can understand trading Duque and Viz-can for Vasquez. But WHY trade away someone who was one of our best pitchers in the pen a year ago for Mackowiack? Especially with the question marks around Hermanson (injury), Jenks (too early to know how good he is/can be and he has had injury issues too in the past) and McCarthy (can he consistently pitch in the pen)?

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
In three days, we've had a thread bashing Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, and now questioning Ozzie Guillen.  This is going to be a fun year :P

Sorry if I am coming across as bashing. What is the point of burning through your pen by sitting McCarthy after one great inning with their best hitters coming up?

Makes no freaking sense, especially with your worst bull pen pitcher.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
:D

I knew I would be flamed for this, but what the heck. I am worried about our bullpen. We had one of the best in the game and there was NO NEED to do anything to it. I can understand trading Duque and Viz-can for Vasquez. But WHY trade away someone who was one of our best pitchers in the pen a year ago for Mackowiack? Especially with the question marks around Hermanson (injury), Jenks (too early to know how good he is/can be and he has had injury issues too in the past) and McCarthy (can he consistently pitch in the pen)?

Damaso has a bs already too. Dam is done, he's got nothing upstairs.

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
i didnt say it becuase i knew everyone would freak out.... but im not saying we fire ozzie... it was just a dumb move.

Agreed 100%.....and I actually flinched as soon as I read on the gamecast that Ozzie removed MCCarthy to get Boone to face Hafner........I just knew this was a disaster in a one run game

:bang

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
Damaso has a bs already too.  Dam is done, he's got nothing upstairs.

If that is really how it plays out and if Kenny knew up front he is done, then that is fine. But then maybe we should have gotten Flash Gordon in the offseason. It is not like spending another few millions would have mattered from a payroll perspective. This bullpen worries me a lot. Just my $0.02.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)

You got to see what Logan can do. Ozzie doesn't baby guys, he finds out what they have and whether they have the right mindset. He seems to have a knack for figuring out whether players will be strong enough to hold up in crunch situations or whether they won't.

Thats why Marte is now gone and its a big reason why Munoz never got a shot with the club this spring. Ozzie is going to give these guys shots to fail, but what you have to remember is guys may fail with shots, but they can't succeed without a skipper being willing to take a shot.

There is a grander scheme of things to Ozzie than just winning 1 game. He wants to win them all, but he's going to do what he can to best prepare this team to win more games and not just 1 game.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
If that is really how it plays out and if Kenny knew up front he is done, then that is fine. But then maybe we should have gotten Flash Gordon in the offseason. It is not like spending another few millions would have mattered from a payroll perspective. This bullpen worries me a lot. Just my $0.02.

I'm fairly confident in saying that there isn't a person on this site who isn't worried about the bullpen. That being said Damaso is not the answer and none of us know how this pen is going to do over the course of the year after 3 games. Just wait and see and don't make a thread about it everytime we let up a run or ozzie makes a mistake.

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
mccarthy should have remained in...period. ozzie will learn to stick with him soon enough.

No he will not. Ozzie will do whatever Ozzie wants to do....which is fine, since he has earned the right to do it with the ring. No issues there. But it is fair that he get called out if it seems like a dumb move and then it turns out to be a dumb move.

Just because Boone is lefty does NOT mean he is good at pitching against the best lefty hitters out there (aka Hafner) on the opponent's team

I swear sometimes Ozzie reminds me of Jim Riggleman with his match up theory. Which is strange because Ozzie is pretty vocal about how he does not care for matchups, theories etc and goes by gut most of the time

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
You got to see what Logan can do.  Ozzie doesn't baby guys, he finds out what they have and whether they have the right mindset.  He seems to have a knack for figuring out whether players will be strong enough to hold up in crunch situations or whether they won't.

Thats why Marte is now gone and its a big reason why Munoz never got a shot with the club this spring.  Ozzie is going to give these guys shots to fail, but what you have to remember is guys may fail with shots, but they can't succeed without a skipper being willing to take a shot. 

There is a grander scheme of things to Ozzie than just winning 1 game. He wants to win them all, but he's going to do what he can to best prepare this team to win more games and not just 1 game.

You make good points Chisoxfn and I would be lying if I said I did not think of it too. I wish though that he would use it in his "throw away" game 3s (you know where we are up 2-0 and we really do not need to win game 3?). I would prefer that when we are against probably our #1 rival at home for an early division lead, we send our freaking aces to take those guys out. Confidence is a HUGE part of this game. I do not want to see the Indians taking 2 of 3 here ....too early in the season but still.

None the less, good points still :cheers

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
No he will not. Ozzie will do whatever Ozzie wants to do....which is fine, since he has earned the right to do it with the ring. No issues there. But it is fair that he get called out if it seems like a dumb move and then it turns out to be a dumb move.

Just because Boone is lefty does NOT mean he is good at pitching against the best lefty hitters out there (aka Hafner) on the opponent's team

I swear sometimes Ozzie reminds me of Jim Riggleman with his match up theory. Which is strange because Ozzie is pretty vocal about how he does not care for matchups, theories etc and goes by gut most of the time

Lets not forget just yesterday he got Hafner to induce into a DP. Bringing out McCarthy against a few lefties/switch hitters didn't seem like a good managerial move. Ozzie wants to see what Logan will do.

For christ sakes this is a learning period for both player and coach as the player needs to learn and understand what his role will be and the coach needs to learn and understand how his player will perform in varying situations.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
I'm fairly confident in saying that there isn't a person on this site who isn't worried about the bullpen.  That being said Damaso is not the answer and none of us know how this pen is going to do over the course of the year after 3 games.  Just wait and see and don't make a thread about it everytime we let up a run or ozzie makes a mistake.

Can we just use this thread then going forward for the rest of the year just to vent about our bullpen? I know this will not be the last time Ozzie screws up when it comes to our bullpen

JUST KIDDING

:chair

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
You make good points Chisoxfn and I would be lying if I said I did not think of it too. I wish though that he would use it in his "throw away" game 3s (you know where we are up 2-0 and we really do not need to win game 3?).  I would prefer that when we are against probably our #1 rival at home for an early division lead, we send our freaking aces to take those guys out. Confidence is a HUGE part of this game. I do not want to see the Indians taking 2 of 3 here ....too early in the season but still.

None the less, good points still  :cheers

2 out of 3 would be great, but I'd rather find out what we got now so Kenny and company know what to do (in terms of finding guys) than not figuring it out and being in big trouble.

If Ozzie doesn't have faith in guys like Jenks and Cotts last year and throw them in pressure situations, we aren't world series champs. Sure that could have blown up in our faces, but worse case those guys blow a few games and Ozzie goes to someone else. Best case they become studs.

I say give players chances to succeed or fail.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Can we just use this thread then going forward for the rest of the year just to vent about our bullpen? I know this will not be the last time Ozzie screws up when it comes to our bullpen

JUST KIDDING

:chair

No, you aren't kidding. Ozzie is going to mess up plenty of times, all managers do. He's also going to make some moves that you and I hate that turn out to be gold.