No More Complaining About Jerry...

CWSGuy406

Yeah, I know this is going back a little bit (probably before the 2005 season started), but there really should be no more b****ing about Reinsdorf not putting enough into this team...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Team—Payroll—Average Salary

N.Y. Yankees—$198,662,180—$7,095,078

Boston—120,100,524—4,448,168

Los Angeles Angels—103,625,333—4,145,013

White Sox—102,875,667—3,956,756

New York Mets—100,901,085—3,880,811

Los Angeles Dodgers—99,176,950—3,673,220

Cubs—94,841,167—3,387,185

Houston—92,551,503—3,559,673

Atlanta—92,461,852—3,188,340

San Francisco—90,862,063—3,634,483

Fourth folks. Fourth.

I guess we've come a long way.

White Sox Payroll Info

Pos  Age Name                   2006    2007    2008    2009    2010

OF 24 Anderson, Brian $0.35 Res2 Res3 ARB1 ARB2

P 26 Buehrle, Mark $7.65 $1.00*

IF 27 Cintron, Alex $1.60 ARB2 ARB3

P 34 Contreras, Jose $9.00 $9.00 $10.00 $10.00

P 25 Cotts, Neal $0.40 ARB1 ARB2 ARB3

3B 27 Crede, Joe $2.675 ARB2 ARB3

OF 31 Dye, Jermaine $5.00 $1.15

OF 34 Everett, Carl $0.50*

P 29 Garcia, Freddy $9.00 $10.00

P 26 Garland, Jon $7.00 $10.00 $12.00

1B 29 Gload, Ross $0.50 ARB1 ARB2 ARB3

P 33 Hermanson, Dustin $3.00 $0.50*

2B 31 Iguchi, Tadahito $2.40 $0.25*

P 24 Jenks, Bobby $0.37 Res2 Res3 ARB1 ARB2

1B 29 Konerko, Paul $12.00 $12.00 $12.00 $12.00 $12.00

P 21 Logan, Boone $0.35 Res2 Res3 ARB1 ARB2

OF 29 Mackowiak, Rob $2.25 $2.75 $.30*

P 22 McCarthy, Brandon $0.37 Res2 Res3 ARB1 ARB2

IF 31 Ozuna, Pablo $0.40 Res3 ARB1 ARB2 ARB3

C 29 Pierzynski, A.J. $4.00 $5.50 $5.50

OF 29 Podsednik, Scott $1.90 ARB2 ARB3

P 31 Politte, Cliff $1.20 FA

1B 35 Thome, Jim $12.50 $14.00 $14.00 $3.00

DH 37 Thomas, Frank $3.50*

P 29 Thornton, Matt $0.50 ARB1 ARB2 ARB3

SS 26 Uribe, Juan $3.15 $4.15 $0.30

P 29 Vazquez, Javier $11.50 $12.50 ARB*

C 34 Widger, Chris $0.65 FA

====================================================================

$103.715 $82.80 $53.80 $25.00 $12.00

Cash (Contreras) ($2.00)

Cash (Vazquez) ($2.00) ($3.00)

Cash (Thome) ($4.50) ($6.00) ($6.00)

$95.215 $73.80 $47.80 $25.00 $12.00

I'm a little off because I estimated the salaries of the pre-arb guys.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Good thread Keith.

I was out to dinner with the GF tonight, and we were talking about the game, and then about just being a fan in general. She thought it was great that I love something so much, but she also doesnt like the fact that I will get upset and be in a different mood after they lose.

I really do hate that im so attached sometimes, but I also know the position this club is in, and I know when I have kids, and we talk about the Sox, we are going to talk about 2005,2006,2007 ect, and how special this franchise was.

Its a great time to be a Sox fan. We should all cherish it.

I was in a conversation with a non-sports fan like this a few weeks back. He actually told me about how he admired people like us. How we can be this devoted to something, it's almost sacred to us.

Yeah, we may care a little too much, but it's better than not caring about anything enough. (there are way too many of those people out there).

To get back on topic, good thread keith. As much as we wanna b**** about things (like today's game). This franchise has been on an increasing upslope for the past few years. This is really as good as it gets.

QUOTE(SnB @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
I was in a conversation with a non-sports fan like this a few weeks back.  He actually told me about how he admired people like us.  How we can be this devoted to something, it's almost sacred to us.

Yeah, we may care a little too much, but it's better than not caring about anything enough.  (there are way too many of those people out there).

To get back on topic, good thread keith.  As much as we wanna b**** about things (like today's game).  This franchise has been on an increasing upslope for the past few years.  This is really as good as it gets.

It was like how people asked me a couple years ago how I could stomach being both an ISU and a Sox fan. I said I couldn't explain it, but it's a special feeling.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
Good thread Keith.

I was out to dinner with the GF tonight, and we were talking about the game, and then about just being a fan in general. She thought it was great that I love something so much, but she also doesnt like the fact that I will get upset and be in a different mood after they lose.

I've had this conversation with many people. Like you said sometimes it's not the greatest thing in the world, cause I'm not exactly the best person to be around when a game like today takes place. Oh well though, I love this team and that won't ever change.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
2005 proved to me it was all worth it. I have been a "die hard" since 02, and while its not a long time at all, I think I can say I pretty much know what its like to be defined as medicore.

To dedicate so much time and energy into something, and then to see it all pay off at the end, there is no doubt in my mind it was all worth it.

No doubt.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 05:12 AM)
2005 proved to me it was all worth it. I have been a "die hard" since 02, and while its not a long time at all, I think I can say I pretty much know what its like to be defined as medicore.

To dedicate so much time and energy into something, and then to see it all pay off at the end, there is no doubt in my mind it was all worth it.

Damn right.

People always say something like "you're obsessed", err whatever crap they want to spew. And really, they don't understand it. The feeling I experienced on October 26th was worth every second of watching the Sox lose to Minny in 2003 + 2004, along with the journey that was 2005.

Good post

but she also doesnt like the fact that I will get upset and be in a different mood after they lose.

It's cool to see this from her perspective. People must shake their heads at true diehard

fans like all of us. I thought I was going to go crazy last September as the lead was

shrinking. I truly sensed it would be life altering if we blew that lead. I mean how could a lead ever be safe again if we didn't at least earn the wild card.

Then the postseason dominance was simply amazing. It was still tense but the mood was

great every day as we won game after game.

I agree no b****ing about Jerry or KW.

They proved themselves to me in all ways. Oz too for that matter.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
How much do the Sox get for that brand new "OwnACondo.com" ad on the right field wall?

i hope ALOT.

i said this earlier today, but I really wish the ads were taken off the wall. Put them anywhere else, fine. But I don't like them on the actual field.

And yes, I know that the sox get a ton more money for those and that they will be never taken down, it's just a wish.

I agree on everything that has been said so far. Sometimes people try asking me why my mood revolves around what the sox do each day. It sucks and im actually trying to control it this year, but you can only do so much. I mean how could I not care? I took todays loss better than I expected. Why can't we just win every damn game!! haha.

I've actually been thinking about our payroll recently and how good JR has been. I am glad the fans are showing up and he is willing to spend. Ofcourse I will never like the Yankees big spending ways even though we are at about 100 mil. I am glad we have a smart GM like KW that won't go too far in spending as far as dumb signings.

Remember those days when we had those threads with some of the fans crying poor, about how JR didn't put enough money into the team, yet the "sane" people argued that payroll HAD increased over the past 5 seasons? Ahhh those were the days.

But it shows how far this team has come in such a short period of time since last season. And let's just enjoy the ride while we can.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
didnt the 102 million figure not take into consideration payments to the sox from other teams (like the phillies for Thomes)?

Correct, look at Cheat's table for the adjusted figure.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 05:39 AM)
Remember those days when we had those threads with some of the fans crying poor, about how JR didn't put enough money into the team, yet the "sane" people argued that payroll HAD increased over the past 5 seasons? Ahhh those were the days.

But it shows how far this team has come in such a short period of time since last season. And let's just enjoy the ride while we can.

Oh yes I remember them. I remember telling some of those knuckleheads how Jerry would spend if only more people bothered to show up for games. And I would always be reminded of how that was not the case in the 90s. Well, finally they will shut up now.

:cheers Thank you Jerry. Your 7 championship rings show how good of an owner you are from a professional perspective. But then when I look at all those who have worked for you (Our trainer Herm, Kenny, Ozzie, Nancy Faust, the person who picks up the phone for the Sox who has been there for 20+ years, Bulls GM Jerry Krause etc etc)......EVERYONE of them have great things to say about you and how much they want to win for you, and why they have worked for you forever, and I realize how much of a good owner you are from a personal perspective.

QUOTE(G&T @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
This is the first time I'm seeing the payroll over $100 million for this year. I thought it was $95-96 million. I'm suprised to say the least.

The Sox are getting a little relief from Thome and Vazquez. So while the totals are their full salary, the Sox aren't paying all of that. The Sox obligation is what you thought it was. At least we won't have to hear how cheap JR supposedly is anymore.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)

And the funny thing is that those of us who argued attendence=payroll got proved right... again. At least that is one stupid arguement that got buried along with Kerry Wood being better than Mark Buehrle. :bang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)

It's tough for folks who don't analyze it by line item to rationalize. Most fans I know don't bother to look at the variances and just see players like Colon walk away and cry "Jerry is so cheap...".

Thankfully (hopefully) that argument will be asleep for a while. :cheers

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
Yeah, I know this is going back a little bit (probably before the 2005 season started), but there really should be no more b****ing about Reinsdorf not putting enough into this team...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Fourth folks.  Fourth. 

I guess we've come a long way.

Good find, CWSGuy. As somebody who has been critical of Jerry in the past, there's not much I can say anymore. I'm very pleased with where this organaztion is at right now. Whether we win it this year or not is moot. I like the fact that this team should be more than competitive for the next 4 or 5 years.

As far as being so into this team that it affects your personal life, NOBODY was as bad as me when it looked as if we were gonna blow the 15-game lead. I lost all of my friends during that period. Nobody even wanted to be around me. My mom and dad even had to sit my ass down and explain to me that it's "just a game." Of course, that's bulls***. It's more than a game. It's life.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 04:56 AM)
The Sox are getting a little relief from Thome and Vazquez. So while the totals are their full salary, the Sox aren't paying all of that. The Sox obligation is what you thought it was. At least we won't have to hear how cheap JR supposedly is anymore.

Yep, even excluding the relief for Thome, Vazquez, and Contreras this year, the payroll is still over $95 million.

Great thread. :cheers

The World Series title changed everything for me. I used to get so upset when they lost games in previous yrs my fiancee wanted no part of me but now? They lose two games and I'm simply not angry anymore. It's like I know they'll get 'em tomorrow and the team quotes from yesterday's tough loss indicate that. Like Ozzie's:

"We're fine. They fought all the way to the end."

And yes, nobody can say JR is cheap or blame him anymore for the team's previous failures as it's pretty apparent he took it as hard as we did.

:gosox1: