Ready for $3 gas again?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
You guys are going to be at the Great American park too.  Ahh f*** and to think i was going to get away from you all  :lol:

Oh way to go Brian, you planned the exact same trip as Jason. :headshake :P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
Last I checked environmentalist were preventing us from building more refineries.

F$#% building more refineries. That's a short-term solution. We need to find alternatives to oil.

We should all just walk. And not have jobs. And stay at home all day and surf the internet mindlessly. BECOME CYBORGS. ENOUGH OF THE FREEDOMS! CYBORGS USA! COME ON! SAY IT WITH ME!!!!

CYBORGS USA

CYBORGS USA

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
We should all just walk.  And not have jobs.  And stay at home all day and surf the internet mindlessly.  BECOME CYBORGS.  ENOUGH OF THE FREEDOMS!  CYBORGS USA!  COME ON!  SAY IT WITH ME!!!!

CYBORGS USA

CYBORGS USA

Awwwww, that's 2 Juggsian references today.

We all miss him so much.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 06:20 AM)
F$#% building more refineries.  That's a short-term solution.  We need to find alternatives to oil.

The oil companies keep trying to close more and more profitable refineries down. Gutting environmental regulations won't stop that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
I hate to say this, but...

Good.  It should be $4 a gallon, if not more.

More good than bad will come from higher gas prices, at this point in our country's history.  It will suck for all of us in the meantime, but it will force changes that are desperately needed for our long term success and survival.

What are you smoking - remember the last gas crisis - we went to smaller cars for a while but now they are bigger than ever - ridiculous when you see some little woman who can't see over the steering wheel driving something as big as a buss.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
I hate to say this, but...

Good.  It should be $4 a gallon, if not more.

More good than bad will come from higher gas prices, at this point in our country's history.  It will suck for all of us in the meantime, but it will force changes that are desperately needed for our long term success and survival.

Right, because I need to spend $150 a week on gas just to get to work and support my family.

40 miles one-way is a long way to ride a bike and I sure as hell can't afford to buy a new(er) car...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Right, because I need to spend $150 a week on gas just to get to work and support my family.

40 miles one-way is a long way to ride a bike and I sure as hell can't afford to buy a new(er) car...

Get a new job with a company nearby. You'll save money and have more time for your family. That's what I did.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Get a new job with a company nearby.  You'll save money and have more time for your family.  That's what I did.

Boy.. the arrogance smells extra stinky this week.

Some people don't have the luxury to do this. Where IWC lives, the market dictates to him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
Boy.. the arrogance smells extra stinky this week.

Some people don't have the luxury to do this. Where IWC lives, the market dictates to him.

The problem is...in a few years, the oil market may very well leave him no choice.

Demand for oil is not going to stop increasing. India, China and the U.S. all keep wanting more, and there simply isn't any more cheap oil to be found. Not in the amounts needed.

The one good piece of news I think we can give him is that oil is unlikely to really go past about $125-$150 or so a barrel even when Saudi Arabia really starts to decline, simply because there are other oil sources that become profitable at roughly that level; heavier oils that cost more and take more energy to refine, oil/tar sands, etc. (Of course, the problem with all of those is that they're vastly more polluting that normal Light Sweet Crude, so even though that should put a max on the price, it's still time to really find something to replace the stuff.)

I personally have been very surprised that the U.S. economy has managed to survive the first step upwards, from $20-$30 a barrel oil to $60-$70 a barrel. I'm not sure it can do that again.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
No one is stopping him from moving to another market.

I can't speak for him with 100% accuracy, but based on his previous post, I would guess that, like many Americans, the desire to remain employed is something of an impediment. There are many potential others.

He can chime in here if he's still here (The "Who's in this room" list still isnt' showing up), but there are a dozen reasons why that could be a problem. Say he's married , and his wife has a job near where they currently live. If they move closer to where he lives, then they move farther from where his wife lives, and their gas consumption remains constant. Or say that they live where they currently do because housing prices closer to his place of employment are simply too high to be affordable. If the choice is living far away and being able to afford a house, or living closer and finding a nice car to sleep in during the night, what choice would he have?

(All of this can be taken as a hypothetical by the way, just to illustrate the problems with saying "Oh you should just move closer to your job" to anyone.)

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
I personally have been very surprised that the U.S. economy has managed to survive the first step upwards, from $20-$30 a barrel oil to $60-$70 a barrel.  I'm not sure it can do that again.

It absolutely won't. This whole thing is built on a house of cards that are about to tumble over.

I figured my post would probably get a harsh reaction, and with good reason. Just want to add a few things...

1. I really meant what I said. I would never post something just to get people upset.

2. I am not suggesting that $4 a gallon gas is good for us in the short term - it will absolutely suck in the short term, for me as well as anyone else. I am saying that it may be the only way to trigger the changes necessary to get new technologies rolling (which the oil companies own patents to, in many cases). We don't just need smaller cars - we need hybrids, electrics, hydros, and a whole array of other energy sources to get moving - NOW.

3. For IWC, I truly do not mean to say that I am cheering for bad things to happen to people financially. I just think we will all be better off if certain changes occur, and they won't occur if gas is $2.00 a gallon. And I am not blaming you at all for your position and commute. I am sure that is a tough situation, and I've had a 35 mile commute by car myself. I don't envy that. So please don't lump me in with those saying this is somehow your fault (not that you did, just clarifying my position).